Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting time with the 1st team
Those young DBs are being thrown in early. Both DJ Turner and Jordan Battles were working with the 1st team defense today at OTAs The only rookies to do so

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 04:43 PM)pally Wrote: Those young DBs are being thrown in early.  Both DJ Turner and Jordan Battles were working with the 1st team defense today at OTAs  The only rookies to do so

Awesome!
Time to start finding out what these boys got!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Turner makes sense. He should be CB4, and with Chido out, he is next man up.

Battle is interesting. Signals a real battle for the safety spots. I wonder if combos with all of Battle/Hill/Scott took turns, or if was just Battle + 1. And who was the 1?
Reply/Quote
They want to see what they’ve got. Nothing unusual here
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Trial by fire to forge their mettle is a good thing

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 04:43 PM)pally Wrote: Those young DBs are being thrown in early.  Both DJ Turner and Jordan Battles were working with the 1st team defense today at OTAs  The only rookies to do so

I am not the typical wet blanket, wah wahhhh guy, but this doesn't mean anything.  It is practice and Chido isn't fully back.  Andre Iosivas got snaps with the first team offense.  I love it, and it is very contrary to the old Marv ways, but it has been that way for a while here now, so...

Still....happy to see it and I think Battle could be huge in 3 safety looks.  
Reply/Quote
I'm starved for Bengals news so I appreciate any info about the team. I liked the '23 draft and I am rooting for these guys to contribute to a Super Bowl winning team.
Reply/Quote
Battle getting starting reps is good news, but the bad news is it's because Scott had offseason surgery to repair a bum shoulder which who knows if they knew about. Looks like he won't be ready until Training camp.

Will it be too late to catch Battle?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
It's the same ole rah rah every season, I get it. We all think the entire draft class are all sure fire all-pros. And it usually just isn't the case.

Having said that I believe this draft class could turn into a very, very good one down the road a ways.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 09:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Battle getting starting reps is good news, but the bad news is it's because Scott had offseason surgery to repair a bum shoulder which who knows if they knew about. Looks like he won't be ready until Training camp.

Will it be too late to catch Battle?

Scott took snaps with the team, just not all of them. Hill + Scott for some snaps. Hill + Battle for others. 
Reply/Quote

Figured they would be with both Chido and Nick Scott coming off of injuries. Both DJ Turner and Jordan Battle are pretty dang pro 
ready though, I must say. Nick Scott isn't guaranteed the starting Safety spot next to Daxton Hill if he isn't 100% by Training Camp 
in my honest opinion. Jordan Battle is a lot like Vonn Bell in the ways he plays, just bigger.
Reply/Quote
Some good quotes from veteran players with regard to Jordan Battle.

https://www.bengals.com/news/jordan-battle--communicating-like-a-vet-as-defense-gets-going

Quote:A quick wellness check on the Bengals defense in their first days of 7-on-7 drills:

There may be no Jessie Bates III and Vonn Bell at safety, but there is slot cornerback Mike Hilton still chattering and scrapping and knocking down a pass. There is linebacker Germaine Pratt, the man Bell said wakes up thinking about the ball, still putting an attempted pass to sleep when he bats it away over the middle.

And just like he envisioned it back when he was drafted in the third round, there is rookie safety Jordan Battle in the middle of it all. Giving the call to Hilton and his pick-six against Steelers. Making sure Pratt and his plethora of game-saving turnovers (Vikings, Chiefs, Vegas) is lined up. Conferring with cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt and his post-season pick.

"I don't think about it when I'm out there," Battle said after Tuesday's OTA. "But definitely, before I got here, I was like, 'Yeah, I'm coming in with guys who know how to win.

"It's kind of cool. Guys like Mike Hilton, who has been around the league forever. Guys like Cam Taylor. Talking with guys like Nick Scott. When you go out there on the field, these guys you watch who play in Super Bowls, make big plays in huge games. It's definitely kind of cool."

Battle, with an NFL-ready 52 games in the middle of Nick Saban's pro factory defense at Alabama, is getting a ton of reps so early because Scott's shoulder was opened up in the offseason like a Lou Anarumo playbook. Even before the Bengals signed him away from the Rams, he was recovering from a torn bicep and torn labrum in a rehab that is all but done.

"It took six months to heal. I'm 98 percent there. All I have to do is go back to L.A. to get cleared," Scott said. "I could have flown back out now, but they told me there was no reason and I'll wait to go when we're done here."

No hurry. The Bengals break camp for the summer after next week's mandatory minicamp. More time for Battle to sponge off Scott. When you think of Scott, think of him as a younger version of Josh Bynes, the well-respected veteran free-agent linebacker from Baltimore who showed rookie Logan Wilson how it's done in 2020.

"More snaps for the young guys, the better," Scott said. "Especially for J.B. J.B. is going to be fine. He's going to be a guy that can contribute right away. It's pretty evident he's there mentally. He understands concepts and everything like that and he's physical enough … I can't stress enough how good of an understanding he has of the things going on."

There will be mistakes and Hilton says that's OK. "Even if you yell something wrong, just be vocal, make sure we communicate and make sure we're on the same page." So far Battle has been the Battle that wooed the Bengals in the 18-minute interview at the NFL scouting combine.

"You can tell he's definitely polished. He was, what, a four-year starter at Alabama?" asked backup safety and special teams captain Michael Thomas, the club's longest- tenured NFL player. "He looks good out there. We're all trying to learn each other. He's not shying away from opportunities. You like to see confidence out of the young guys."

An NFL safety has to have a special kind of confidence because he's in the middle of high-tech communication and must grow up fast enough to not only learn the verbiage but convey it to veterans who know the scheme inside and out. Battle not only has the confidence, he knows why he has it.

"It's different coming in as a freshman in college as opposed to coming in as a rookie in the NFL," Battle said. "You have background in leadership skills, especially playing four years at a high talent, high character school like Alabama. Coming from a school where you learn to be a leader and you grow as a person and player, it doesn't make it as hard to come in confidently. That all comes from going to a great program like that."

Battle says he's getting all kinds of feedback from the vets.

Dax Hill, last year's first-rounder taking over the other safety.

Hilton, the best slot cornerback in the league:

"The coaches are showing trust in him keeping up with the ones. He's being vocal and he's showing us he's able to communicate."

Scott, who played all 61 snaps of Super Bowl LVI in helping the Rams hold the red-hot Joe Burrow to 20 points. He's not critiquing Battle on every snap, rather he's offering tips on certain concepts. Such as, did you see the No. 1 (receiver) on this? You were fine with what you did, just know you can help over here. Maybe kick this way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good stuff Sunset on the Secondary and Jordan Battle. This guy will get some snaps as a rookie I am sure of it.

I like Brick Scott as well in Lou's Defense and Dax Hill could be a top Safety down the road.

DJ Turner has the great speed to go along with very fluid hips. Rare qualities for our future Corner.
Reply/Quote
Myles Murphy noted how the learning curve in a new defense is actually been anything but a hurdle as he's figuring out NFL life.

"At Clemson, we played a 4-3, 3-4, over, under, Bear, three-man front, dime, a little bit of everything," Murphy told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com (https://www.bengals.com/news/burrow-nostalgia-dads-of-joe-burrow-ja-marr-chase-reunite-myles-murphy). "It's a little bit
simpler here and I'm learning it a little faster than I did at Clemson and that's been a big benefit."
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 01:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Myles Murphy noted how the learning curve in a new defense is actually been anything but a hurdle as he's figuring out NFL life.

"At Clemson, we played a 4-3, 3-4, over, under, Bear, three-man front, dime, a little bit of everything," Murphy told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com (https://www.bengals.com/news/burrow-nostalgia-dads-of-joe-burrow-ja-marr-chase-reunite-myles-murphy). "It's a little bit
simpler here and I'm learning it a little faster than I did at Clemson and that's been a big benefit."

Great to know. One thing about Murphy, he is really smart. You can tell when he speaks how smart he is.

He should help out the Defense immediately which is exactly what you want from your first round pick. Big time steal. Never thought 
we could sniff him at 28.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great to know. One thing about Murphy, he is really smart. You can tell when he speaks how smart he is.

He should help out the Defense immediately which is exactly what you want from your first round pick. Big time steal. Never thought 
we could sniff him at 28.

Brent Venables defense they are still using at Clemson is complex, structured as hell, and difficult. It’s a criticism despite success for not allowing the players to just play.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 01:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Brent Venables defense they are still using at Clemson is complex, structured as hell, and difficult. It’s a criticism despite success for not allowing the players to just play.

Hey, it works, just have to have smart players is all. Murphy sure is showered by praise by Venables for his smarts and everything else.

Dude is crazy strong for and Edge player, needs to refine his technique and not go so wide in our system though....

I think this tendency costs him a ton of sacks. He should learn from Trey and Sam in this and of course Hobby and Lou.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 01:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Myles Murphy noted how the learning curve in a new defense is actually been anything but a hurdle as he's figuring out NFL life.

While Clemson tends to dominate in the ACC, it is the ACC.
Smirk

I sincerely hope Murphy has a great season and career. This quote makes it sound like he has yet to have a “Welcome to the NFL, Rookie” moment.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 04:28 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: While Clemson tends to dominate in the ACC, it is the ACC.
Smirk

I sincerely hope Murphy has a great season and career. This quote makes it sound like he has yet to have a “Welcome to the NFL, Rookie” moment.

I know Brent Venables. He’s notoriously known for his complicated defense. He’s got to have smart people on it. At practice he’s always yelling misstep. I mean he’s all over them if they lead with the wrong foot.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 04:28 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: While Clemson tends to dominate in the ACC, it is the ACC.
Smirk

I know Brent. He’s notoriously known for his complicated defense. He’s got to have smart people on it. At practice he’s always yelling misstep. I mean he’s all over them if they lead with the wrong foot.

Reply/Quote