Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin not waiting on Guenther...
According to Jim O, Marvin said he will not wait for Guenther to get an offer or make a decision, and will not commit to remaining a 4-3 defense. Maybe changes actually are coming....
Reply/Quote
This is good news, be AGGRESSIVE. We don't work on PG time, we work on Bengals time. It's his loss, dude is overrated. If Zim were still here this defense would be top 5 I promise you.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:45 PM)Takedown Wrote: This is good news, be AGGRESSIVE. We don't work on PG time, we work on Bengals time. It's his loss, dude is overrated. If Zim were still here this defense would be top 5 I promise you.

Yeah, I really don't mind Guenther, he's not great, but he's not as bad as he's made out to be.... he won that last game with practice squad linebackers....
Reply/Quote
Regardless if they go 4-3 or 3-4 a BIG thing that has to happen is abandoning the soft zone concepts. Both WJIII and Dennard are much better in Man coverage and indeed so is Jones. The only player in the secondary who is more of a zone player is DreK.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin needs to call Jack Del Rio and resurrect the 2000 Ravens’ defensive scheme. In case people forgot, Marvin and Jack put that defense together with Marvin as defensive coordinator and Jack as linebacker coach. Vontaze Burfict is the non-murderous Cincinnati version of Ray Lewis, too, so most of the pieces are there.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin needs to call Jack Del Rio and resurrect the 2000 Ravens’ defensive scheme.  In case people forgot, Marvin and Jack put that defense together with Marvin as defensive coordinator and Jack as linebacker coach.  Vontaze Burfict is the non-murderous Cincinnati version of Ray Lewis, too, so most of the pieces are there.

And JDR also did a hell of a job as DC for Denver.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Call JDR and see if he'd be interested in taking a defensive coordinator position. If he is, he needs to be in PBS tomorrow.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
A 3-4 in the current construction is interesting. Dunlap, Billings, Geno on the line then stand Willis and Lawson up on the edges at OLB with Burfict and Vigil/someone else as the two MLB. I think the biggest question is how Dunlap does as a 3-4 end. I think 3-4 NT fits Billings pretty well and 3-4 DE will be fine for Geno like it is for Watt and Donald. Where we really improve is getting Lawson standing up as a rusher consistently. I think Willis can do it as well, but there may be some questions there.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: A 3-4 in the current construction is interesting. Dunlap, Billings, Geno on the line then stand Willis and Lawson up on the edges at OLB with Burfict and Vigil/someone else as the two MLB. I think the biggest question is how Dunlap does as a 3-4 end. I think 3-4 NT fits Billings pretty well and 3-4 DE will be fine for Geno like it is for Watt and Donald. Where we really improve is getting Lawson standing up as a rusher consistently. I think Willis can do it as well, but there may be some questions there.

John Fox's single gap 3-4 is becoming popular in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I like it. Don't wait. Get who you want and get going. During the press conference, the word aggressive kept coming up. I'd like to have an aggressive DC. We blitzed a league low ~17% of the time. I have to think that didn't help our issues on 3rd down. True, our front four gets good pressure at times, but well timed blitzes can make a big impact.

Someone who is going to come on and be more aggressive and attacking is exactly what we need on defense. This bend don't break shit has got to go.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:20 PM)Synric Wrote: John Fox's single gap 3-4 is becoming popular in the NFL.

I like what Seattle and their disciples run, kind of a hybrid 3-4/4-3 over with Lawson playing the Bruce Irvin/Vic Beasley role.
Reply/Quote
C’mon, Marvin. You have Jack Del Rio’s phone number....
Reply/Quote
Del Rio does fit exactly what we need here. Might bring more aggressiveness to the entire coaching staff and he is a
friend of Marv's. He is not a good HC, he is a very good DC and we can get out of that soft zone shit Paulie was running.

This team is made for man to man aggressive play on both sides of the ball.

Also really loved what Au165 spoke of about running a 3-4, we have a lot of the players to do this if we wanted. Billings
can play NT, he is great at taking up blockers and will only get better as that injury heals. Lawson is made to rush off the
edge in either a 4-3 or 3-4.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 04:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin needs to call Jack Del Rio and resurrect the 2000 Ravens’ defensive scheme.  In case people forgot, Marvin and Jack put that defense together with Marvin as defensive coordinator and Jack as linebacker coach.  Vontaze Burfict is the non-murderous Cincinnati version of Ray Lewis, too, so most of the pieces are there.

100% agree with you!!!!!

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: A 3-4 in the current construction is interesting. Dunlap, Billings, Geno on the line then stand Willis and Lawson up on the edges at OLB with Burfict and Vigil/someone else as the two MLB. I think the biggest question is how Dunlap does as a 3-4 end. I think 3-4 NT fits Billings pretty well and 3-4 DE will be fine for Geno like it is for Watt and Donald. Where we really improve is getting Lawson standing up as a rusher consistently. I think Willis can do it as well, but there may be some questions there.

Interesting, and I agree...I heard rumors of a possible switch.  Rumors aren't always reality though.  I think we certainly have the players at the right spots...except for a true NT, who would that be?

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Bring in Jack Del Rio as DC
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 05:56 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: Interesting, and I agree...I heard rumors of a possible switch.  Rumors aren't always reality though.  I think we certainly have the players at the right spots...except for a true NT, who would that be?

I think Billings or Tapou could fit the bill.
Reply/Quote