Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giants will play starters
(08-18-2022, 04:05 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I hope Browning and Plitt are feeling limber, cuz they're gonna be chased a lot on Sunday.

Don’t worry about Plitt.He had a 158.3 QB rating against the Cardinals.6 for 6,76 yds and a TD on the final scoring drive.Move over Burrow,here comes Drew Plitt.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 12:45 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Don’t worry about Plitt.He had a 158.3 QB rating against the Cardinals.6 for 6,76 yds and a TD on the final scoring drive.Move over Burrow,here comes Drew Plitt.

The next 2017 Jeff Driskel?   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 03:44 PM)Synric Wrote: D'Ante Smith vs Azeez Ojulari/ Kavon Thibodeaux and Jackson Carman and/or Cordell Volsen vs Dexter Lawrence/Leonard Williams will be matchups vs offensive line to watch... Along with Trey Hill vs those same IDL.

Giants highly drafted young offensive tackles Andrew Thomas and rookie Evan Neal vs the Bengals young Edges Joseph Ossai, Cam Sample, Jeffrey Gunter.

Edit: First Pre-Season game phenom Kendrick Pryor vs Adoree Jackson would be a great matchup if they get him out there early.

I really like Smith, but with his injuries again this season, I can't imagine he is at all prepared to go against NFL starters tonight.  Ditto Carman.  

I know that ZT got the squad largely healthy through the entire season last year, but I am starting to wonder if their health at week 1 will come at the expense of their preparedness.  Does anyone think the steelers haven't been tackling and knocking guys around?  

I believe in what he is doing, and I want to support him, but I am not sure this is a winnable situation for guys like Smith and Carman tonight.

My hope is those joint practices with the Rams are their real preseason and (even though they won't tackle to the ground), there is some legit trench work.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2022, 09:50 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Didn't we start "flat" last year because Burrow was still dealing with his knee? Like wearing a brace, the mentality of having guys diving around your legs and what not, etc?

I think that was as much the coaches reigning him in, and having a very conservative gameplan.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 10:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think that was as much the coaches reigning him in, and having a very conservative gameplan.  

I wonder how much the lack of play in Preseason impacts the slow start to the season as well. Obviously last year with the knee it was different but I wouldn't be against the starters getting some play time. The majority of teams seem to be playing the starters some in game 2 so far to give them a feel of a real game. Practice against the Rams is good but there's nothing we can do to give the feel of a real game. 

Opening up against Pittsburghs defense with the Oline and Burrow never really having played together is kind of scary. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 10:28 AM)TheFan Wrote: Opening up against Pittsburghs defense with the Oline and Burrow never really having played together is kind of scary. 

TJ Watt, Cameron Heyward, Larry Ogunjobi, and Alex Highsmith seem like a real easy entry level matchup for the OL to have their first game snaps together.... nothing to worry about.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really like Smith, but with his injuries again this season, I can't imagine he is at all prepared to go against NFL starters tonight.  Ditto Carman.  

I know that ZT got the squad largely healthy through the entire season last year, but I am starting to wonder if their health at week 1 will come at the expense of their preparedness.  Does anyone think the steelers haven't been tackling and knocking guys around?  

I believe in what he is doing, and I want to support him, but I am not sure this is a winnable situation for guys like Smith and Carman tonight.

My hope is those joint practices with the Rams are their real preseason and (even though they won't tackle to the ground), there is some legit trench work
Smith missed 3 practices and a preseason game.  I doubt that would put him so far behind that he can't perform in a game.  

The team is following the same schedule as last season.  And the same schedule as the Rams and many other NFL teams. According to their analysis, more injuries start to occur on day 3 of straight practices and go up exponentially on any more consecutive days.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 01:24 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The next 2017 Jeff Driskel?   Ninja

I like Plitt and he may be what I'm most interested in seeing tonight. I'm just not sold on Brandon Allen but speaking of Allen if he's back tonight we may not see much Plitt. 

Driskel actually had some wheels and had a +300yd day starting for the Lions a few years back if I'm not mistaken. 

The QB I'm thinking Plitt might better suit is Jake G. ( I can't remember his name) from 3-5 years ago. He came in and had a couple of decent games at the end of 1st couple preseason games.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 10:28 AM)TheFan Wrote: I wonder how much the lack of play in Preseason impacts the slow start to the season as well. Obviously last year with the knee it was different but I wouldn't be against the starters getting some play time. The majority of teams seem to be playing the starters some in game 2 so far to give them a feel of a real game. Practice against the Rams is good but there's nothing we can do to give the feel of a real game. 

Opening up against Pittsburghs defense with the Oline and Burrow never really having played together is kind of scary. 

I'm not really worried about playing this preseason as we have a lot of continuity with the defense and our offensive skill players. Burrow isn't playing due to his health situation and it doesn't make sense to play any skill players if that's the case.

I'm with you on the OL group though. Especially playing that Steelers front. Wishing we would've brought Larry O. back after his deal fell thru and I saw he was playing in there preseason game so he is healthy. On a side note the Steelers oline looked very suspect yesterday. Not sure if they had starters missing or not but we should be able to get some pressure. Also the scariest part of there dline is TJ Watt and hopefully LC can negate that quite a bit.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 11:51 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I like Plitt and he may be what I'm most interested in seeing tonight. I'm just not sold on Brandon Allen but speaking of Allen if he's back tonight we may not see much Plitt. 

Driskel actually had some wheels and had a +300yd day starting for the Lions a few years back if I'm not mistaken. 

The QB I'm thinking Plitt might better suit is Jake G. ( I can't remember his name) from 3-5 years ago. He came in and had a couple of decent games at the end of 1st couple preseason games.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't care for Brandon Allen either.

Backup QBs should be 1 of 3 things...
1. Old Timer who can basically be a more relatable QB Coach who can also help with the misc aspects of being an NFL QB.
2. Former starter with success at some period who can get you a couple wins in a short 2-5 week stint of your starter being down.
3. A young guy with potential who can be developed into someone promising to gain you picks in a trade later.

Brandon Allen is none of those 3, so I have wanted him replaced for awhile now.

- - - - -
I was just making a Driskel joke because I love preseason hype and some of the hilarious takes we get to look back on because of it.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2022, 07:30 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: Tyrod Taylor is #2 behind Jones on the depth chart. There’s actually been talk of him pushing Jones for the starting job. I honestly don’t see it but he isn’t a pushover at QB. It’ll be a good test for our defense.

Thanks, yeah, Tyrod is a pretty damn good backup QB. He can run so our guys need to learn to play disciplined.

Like you said Alpha, good test. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 12:45 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Don’t worry about Plitt.He had a 158.3 QB rating against the Cardinals.6 for 6,76 yds and a TD on the final scoring drive.Move over Burrow,here comes Drew Plitt.

Thought he was perfect. Hope he becomes a good backup QB for us, him or Browning who can actually throw on the run 
unlike Allen. Plitt looked to have a nice throwing action out of the pocket against the Cards. He actually did have a pocket 
though unlike Allen and Browning. Browning is just better at avoiding pressure than Allen.

Will be interested in seeing how Plitt does against a blitzing Wink Martindale Defense.

(08-21-2022, 09:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really like Smith, but with his injuries again this season, I can't imagine he is at all prepared to go against NFL starters tonight.  Ditto Carman.  

My hope is those joint practices with the Rams are their real preseason and (even though they won't tackle to the ground), there is some legit trench work.

Carman has covid, he isn't playing tonight. Volson has the start and man is that a damn good test for him too going against 
Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence as Synric said. D'Ante I have a lot more hope of playing okay than Prince honestly who
was just terrible against the Cardinals. Adeniji I expect to get beat the heck out of at RT once again as he is getting the start.

Sick

This is where my questioning of the coaches comes in, starting that POS Adeniji instead of bringing someone in that can 
actually block some of the time. He seems to get beat every frickin' snap man.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 10:28 AM)TheFan Wrote: I wonder how much the lack of play in Preseason impacts the slow start to the season as well. Obviously last year with the knee it was different but I wouldn't be against the starters getting some play time. The majority of teams seem to be playing the starters some in game 2 so far to give them a feel of a real game. Practice against the Rams is good but there's nothing we can do to give the feel of a real game. 

(08-21-2022, 10:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: TJ Watt, Cameron Heyward, Larry Ogunjobi, and Alex Highsmith seem like a real easy entry level matchup for the OL to have their first game snaps together.... nothing to worry about.

(08-21-2022, 12:00 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm not really worried about playing this preseason as we have a lot of continuity with the defense and our offensive skill players. Burrow isn't playing due to his health situation and it doesn't make sense to play any skill players if that's the case.

I'm with you on the OL group though. Especially playing that Steelers front. Wishing we would've brought Larry O. back after his deal fell thru and I saw he was playing in there preseason game so he is healthy. On a side note the Steelers oline looked very suspect yesterday. Not sure if they had starters missing or not but we should be able to get some pressure. Also the scariest part of there dline is TJ Watt and hopefully LC can negate that quite a bit.

Sounds like our real Preseason game with the starters will be our practice against the Rams who have arguably a better
front with Aaron Donald and company. On paper Pitt looks nasty but Heyward is old, Ogunjobi is coming off a terrible foot
injury and these guys suck at stopping the run. Ogunjobi might help them early with a splash play here and there but he 
can really wear out trying to stop the run.

TJ Watt is the only guy on that DL that really scares me and we are much better there now with La'el Collins knockin' him
around at RT than what we had last year even with Reiff when he was healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 01:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like our real Preseason game with the starters will be our practice against the Rams who have arguably a better
front with Aaron Donald and company. On paper Pitt looks nasty but Heyward is old, Ogunjobi is coming off a terrible foot
injury and these guys suck at stopping the run. Ogunjobi might help them early with a splash play here and there but he 
can really wear out trying to stop the run.

TJ Watt is the only guy on that DL that really scares me and we are much better there now with La'el Collins knockin' him
around at RT than what we had last year even with Reiff when he was healthy.

I am happy to shit on Steelers too, because F them all in general... but give me 4 old guys on my DL if old guys are 10 sack IDL All-Pros.

It was fun to watch the Steelers defense get just run straight over. 

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 01:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am happy to shit on Steelers too, because F them all in general... but give me 4 old guys on my DL if old guys are 10 sack IDL All-Pros.

It was fun to watch the Steelers defense get just run straight over. 

True that Heyward is still good but...

We upgraded big time with the 3 guys we brought in on the OL. They are straight up beasts in the run game.

The Steelers didn't upgrade at all in this aspect, they actually ignored it lol

We need to just run the ball against them. Mixon should have a 150 yard day against them, should be a lot of fun opening day.

We will see, it all depends on how healthy we are and how healthy they are and what team is gelling together better.

Could be a closer game than I think IDK. I can never count those bastids out but we seem set up to destroy them.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 01:24 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The next 2017 Jeff Driskel?   Ninja

I know he probably won’t even make the practice squad,but I just thought it was pretty cool,watching him take the Offense all the way down to the end zone from the 6 yard line in his first ever NFL game.Yes,some of it may have been luck.But,it was entertaining,and I was glad for the guy,since he’s such an underdog to make the team.
Reply/Quote