Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Way Too Early Mock
1st:
Jaylon Smith - ILB/OLB - Notre Dame
Height: 6’2” Weight: 235

[Image: 5235336136a4e.image.jpg]

If there is one thing that this coaching staff loves in it’s LBers it is versatility. With AJ Hawk and Maualuga only around for another year or so, expect the Bengals to draft a LB for the future.
Smith can play every LB position in the 4-3. His versatility is probably the best in this upcoming draft class. Smith shows impressive speed and athleticism for a middle LB and can provide sufficient support in defending the pass as well.

With a healthy Burfict… imagine a starting LB corps of
Dawson – Smith – Burfict

2nd:
Rashard Higgins – WR - Colorado State
Height: 6’2” Weight: 188

[Image: 20140914__Rashard%20Higgins~p1.jpg] 

Who the hell is Rashard Higgins you may be asking yourself? Well I will tell you. He is a dominant receiver that had 96 receptions, 1,750 yards receiving and 17 TDs last season. Higgins exhibits excellent route running and well above average hands. At 6’2” he has great size, but does not have top end speed. He does however play faster than his 4.55 forty time. This is the #2 receiver we have been looking for!

3rd:
Nick Vannett –TE - Ohio State
Height: 6’6” Weight: 260

[Image: nick-vannett-41250cf642ff4e69.jpg]

Vannett made the most of what was available to him in the Urban Meyer offense.  In a run dominant offense (which the Bengals intend to run as well) Vannett excelled.  He only had 19 catches for 220 yards in 2014, but 5 of those catches went for TDs.  Vannett gives us the perfect blocking TE (with the ability to catch the ball as well) to pair with Eifert long term.

4th:
Devonte Fields - DE/OLB - Louisville
Height: 6’4” Weight: 240

[Image: 6596803_G.jpg]

For those of you that may be confused. Fields was permanently suspended by Gary Patterson at TCU, therefore he transferred to Louisville.  Fields is a first round talent, but questions concerning off the field drama could cause him to drop drastically.  As a freshman, Fields posted impressive stats; 53 tackles, 18.5 TFL, 10 sacks, 2 FF and 1 INT.  Fields would give us the pass rush presence that we have been missing.  Honestly, I wouldn’t mind taking a flier on Fields in the 3rd, but I feel like this is a good landing spot.
Reply/Quote
We drafted 2 TEs this season why would we draft another one early? I think we should draft A safety in one of the first three rounds; both starting safeties are in contract seasons. Also I don't think we will draft a MLB in the first because Linebackers are like Running backs you can find them in any round. I like the fields pick but he might be taken off the Bengals board due to character concerns. Like the WR pick but I would double dip at that position considering that both Sanu and Jones are in contract years.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:44 AM)J24 Wrote: We drafted 2 TEs this season why would we draft another one early? I think we should draft A safety in one of the first three rounds; both starting safeties are in contract seasons. Also I don't think we will draft a MLB in the first because Linebackers are like Running backs you can find them in any round. I like the fields pick but he might be taken off the Bengals board due to character concerns. Like the WR pick but I would double dip at that position considering that both Sanu and Jones are in contract years.
-Yes we drafted two TEs this year, but in all reality only one will make a significant impact (if any).  I like Kroft but do not see him being the answer at TE. Uzomah is a project player that will likely be a PS player and never see the active roster.
-I don't think we go the safety route. We will keep Iloka and possibly even Nelson in FA, coaches have been kicking around moving Hall to safety, and coaches seem high on Shawn Williams and Derron Smith. Not to mention you have a swing player like Josh Shaw that can fill in if absolutely necessary.
-Yes you can get a MLB in most rounds of the draft, but you aren't going to find a MLB with this skill set or this versatility outside of the first round. MLB is a need position, one of the few positions we actually need to improve (plus he is likely to be the BPA at this position in the draft).  you have to pull the trigger on this guy.
-As far as WR goes.  I think we will resign Sanu, but I have a feeling that Jones is going to want a big payday.  I agree that we need to double dip at the position, but I see us doing that in rd 5 or rd 6.  Plus we have been dabbling in the FA WR pool the last couple of years.  We could always add depth there.  Because that is what a second WR pick would be, depth.
-I think the Bengals pull the trigger on Fields if he is there in the 4th. Character concern or not.
Reply/Quote
Need to get a DT. WR and LB I'm ok with.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 12:41 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Need to get a DT.  WR and LB I'm ok with.

I considered a DT, but in the 5th is when I would probably take one. Probably a guy like Tupou for Colorado or Woods from USC. Both are big NT type players
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:14 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: -Yes we drafted two TEs this year, but in all reality only one will make a significant impact (if any).  I like Kroft but do not see him being the answer at TE. Uzomah is a project player that will likely be a PS player and never see the active roster.
-I don't think we go the safety route. We will keep Iloka and possibly even Nelson in FA, coaches have been kicking around moving Hall to safety, and coaches seem high on Shawn Williams and Derron Smith. Not to mention you have a swing player like Josh Shaw that can fill in if absolutely necessary.
-Yes you can get a MLB in most rounds of the draft, but you aren't going to find a MLB with this skill set or this versatility outside of the first round. MLB is a need position, one of the few positions we actually need to improve (plus he is likely to be the BPA at this position in the draft).  you have to pull the trigger on this guy.
-As far as WR goes.  I think we will resign Sanu, but I have a feeling that Jones is going to want a big payday.  I agree that we need to double dip at the position, but I see us doing that in rd 5 or rd 6.  Plus we have been dabbling in the FA WR pool the last couple of years.  We could always add depth there.  Because that is what a second WR pick would be, depth.
-I think the Bengals pull the trigger on Fields if he is there in the 4th.  Character concern or not.
1.) we have Eifert he is the guy for the future. Kroft should be a nice backup for him as well.
2.)Smith is a 6th round pick, Williams hasn't started a game yet, I think they see shaw more as a corner, and I hope your right on Iloka but I can't see them keeping an aging Nelson.
3.)I don't necessarily think MLB is a need at this point. Maluaga is good in that role as a two down starter plus we have an elite LB in Vontez and a nice young prospect in Dawson. I would rather address Defensive Tackle or Defensive End instead of LBer.
4th.) Character matters to the Bengals now. So I doubt they would draft fields.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:46 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) we have Eifert he is the guy for the future. Kroft should be a nice backup for him as well.
2.)Smith is a 6th round pick, Williams hasn't started a game yet, I think they see shaw more as a corner, and I hope your right on Iloka but I can't see them keeping an aging Nelson.
3.)I don't necessarily think MLB is a need at this point. Maluaga is good in that role as a two down starter plus we have an elite LB in Vontez and a nice young prospect in Dawson. I would rather address Defensive Tackle or Defensive End instead of LBer.
4th.) Character matters to the Bengals now. So I doubt they would draft fields.

1) Eifert is the future.  And I like Kroft, but he only played one year in an NFL style offense.  His blocking skills need a lot of work, but he shows great promise.  Vannett gives us a proven blocker that also hgas sure hands.

2) Pre-draft Smith was seen as the #3 safety in the draft.  I don't know what caused him to fall... but his tape shows a player with extreme talent. Iloka was a 5th rounder... so late round safeties don't scare me.  I do think we keep Iloka, but like you said there is a very good chance that we lose Nelson (unless he takes a team friendly deal).  Hall moving to safety also alleviates the pressure to draft a safety early. In my eyes Shaw is a corner, and you are right I think the coaches see him as a corner as well, I was just saying "if shat happens" they have a backup plan.  As far as Williams... the only reason he hasn't started a game yet is because he has two great players in front of him and he is learning from vets.  He will shine in time.

3) Rey is a great run stuffer, and in the old school game of football I agree with you, he is a great two down LB.  However, the game has changed, all LBers on all down need to be able to cover the pass as well.  Oh, and Rey was signed to a short term deal.  The point is, if you draft Smith you have a solid YOUNG LB crew for years to come.  three LBers that can play all three downs.  As far as DT or DE, We need a NT type DT (all of which would be a reach at this point.  Only exception being Vanderdoes from UCLA) and I feel like we can get that late in the draft... also we have Sims back who I think is going to be tough. I think we are another year away form having to take a early draft DE.

4) Character does matter, you are right.  But if he keeps his head on straight and continues to produce, I do not see a reaosn why the Bengals wouldn't take a flier on him.  Oh, and he fills your DE need Wink
Reply/Quote
I think the consensus in this mock will be that nearly everyone will disagree about taking a TE in the third round with little production and played second fiddle to Heuerman.

You make good points that he has great size and experience as a blocker. His TDs are a nice addition for being the backup TE to Heuerman. However, to be drafted in the third round, he needs to really take strides this year by emerging as the starter and being more than a red zone target and blocker.

Right now, he doesn't seem to be anything worth more than a fifth rounder.

Also, why do you already put down Kroft as not being "the answer" to be the #2 TE who can be both a good blocker and receiver? He hasn't even had a chance to play one preseason game yet.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2015, 12:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the consensus in this mock will be that nearly everyone will disagree about taking a TE in the third round with little production and played second fiddle to Heuerman.

You make good points that he has great size and experience as a blocker. His TDs are a nice addition for being the backup TE to Heuerman. However, to be drafted in the third round, he needs to really take strides this year by emerging as the starter and being more than a red zone target and blocker.

Right now, he doesn't seem to be anything worth more than a fifth rounder.

Also, why do you already put down Kroft as not being "the answer" to be the #2 TE who can be both a good blocker and receiver? He hasn't even had a chance to play one preseason game yet.

I understand the hesitance for another TE.  However, the likelihood that both of our drafted TEs will turn out to be good NFL players is very low.  I like Kroft a lot, but I personally feel after watching tape that he is a lesser version of Eifert.  He can block, but it is definitely not his strong suit.  Granted, with time he can get better.. he did only play one season in an offensive system that asked him to block... but I think he is more of a receiving threat.  Uzomah will turn out to be a project player... and ultimately I see him as a H-back type.  He has never been an inline blocker... and from what I have seen doesn't show much promise in that facet of the game. 

Hence why I choose Vannett. He is a proficient player in the pass and in the run game.  He has more experience than all three of our current TEs in a run first offense (combined).  Ultimately I see us with Eifert, Vannett, Kroft and potentially keeping Uzomah to compete with Hewitt. If you think the 3rd round is early for him, ok... so simply swap my 3rd and 4th round selections... problem solved. lol

This is a team with very few holes... TE is one of the few spots that could use upgrade.  I know we could probably use a DE or DT... but Fields addresses the DE/EDGE need and a big NT type DT can be had in the 5th round.  I am seeing about 2-3 solid DTs that will be available late in the draft that could ultimately take over Peko's role.  Oh, and don't be surprised if Still turns some heads this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 10:19 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: I understand the hesitance for another TE.  However, the likelihood that both of our drafted TEs will turn out to be good NFL players is very low.  I like Kroft a lot, but I personally feel after watching tape that he is a lesser version of Eifert.  He can block, but it is definitely not his strong suit.  Granted, with time he can get better.. he did only play one season in an offensive system that asked him to block... but I think he is more of a receiving threat.  Uzomah will turn out to be a project player... and ultimately I see him as a H-back type.  He has never been an inline blocker... and from what I have seen doesn't show much promise in that facet of the game. 

Hence why I choose Vannett. He is a proficient player in the pass and in the run game.  He has more experience than all three of our current TEs in a run first offense (combined).  Ultimately I see us with Eifert, Vannett, Kroft and potentially keeping Uzomah to compete with Hewitt. If you think the 3rd round is early for him, ok... so simply swap my 3rd and 4th round selections... problem solved. lol

This is a team with very few holes... TE is one of the few spots that could use upgrade.  I know we could probably use a DE or DT... but Fields addresses the DE/EDGE need and a big NT type DT can be had in the 5th round.  I am seeing about 2-3 solid DTs that will be available late in the draft that could ultimately take over Peko's role.  Oh, and don't be surprised if Still turns some heads this year.

I agree that the third TE spot is a big question mark. However, if I'm looking for both a starting-caliber 4-3 NT and a blocking TE, I'm searching for a NT in rounds 3-4 and a blocking TE in rounds 5-6.

Do the Bengals have such a huge edge need with MJ and Dunlap as the starters for the next few years with an emerging Clarke (based on reports) and recently drafted Hardison (projected to play multiple DL spots, getting some TC snaps at DE)? I don't have faith in Hunt, so I understand at least some concern in the DE spot though.
I agree with drafting a backup edge rusher to groom, but IMO a starting 4-3 NT is a bigger need over a backup edge rusher.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2015, 03:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree that the third TE spot is a big question mark. However, if I'm looking for both a starting-caliber 4-3 NT and a blocking TE, I'm searching for a NT in rounds 3-4 and a blocking TE in rounds 5-6.

Do the Bengals have such a huge edge need with MJ and Dunlap as the starters for the next few years with an emerging Clarke (based on reports) and recently drafted Hardison (projected to play multiple DL spots, getting some TC snaps at DE)? I don't have faith in Hunt, so I understand at least some concern in the DE spot though.
I agree with drafting a backup edge rusher to groom, but IMO a starting 4-3 NT is a bigger need over a backup edge rusher.

I would agree with you 100%... if there were a solid 4-3 NT available in the 3rd or 4th round.  I really don't see a "starter" available in either round, unless Vanderdoes from UCLA falls for some reason... but I don't see that happening. Vannett would primarily be used as a blocker, but he has the talent to give us something in the passing game, and being that this is a team with few holes, I think Vannett would be a good pick up.

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Don't want to start any drama or anything but just gonna throw this out here as a question, if we have a bad year (seeing we have 2nd hardest schedule) and we end up not making playoffs and Andy didnt play good all year long think theres a chance of us considering taking a QB? or are other pieces in our team still needing to be filled?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 11:04 AM)Clappington Wrote: Don't want to start any drama or anything but just gonna throw this out here as a question, if we have a bad year (seeing we have 2nd hardest schedule)  and we end up not making playoffs and Andy didnt play good all year long think theres a chance of us considering taking a QB? or are other pieces in our team still needing to be filled?

If that were to happen, they may consider a QB... but I honestly don't think they will part ways with Andy, nor do I think we miss the playoffs.  But if they were to go with a QB, the only one I really like so far in this draft is Kessler... and he is fringe 1st-2nd round at this point.

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote