Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First 2016 Mock of the Season - Super Early!
1) Jaylon Smith, LB Notre Dame - Smith is a versatile, fast, instinctive, athletic LB who fits the mold of Dawson. Maualuga's contract price drastically drops after this season, leaving him as a candidate for being cut or a backup. The thought of Smith with Dawson and Burfict as the starting LBs makes my mouth water.

2) Eddie Vanderdoes, DT UCLA - I'd choose Adolphus Washington if he was staying and growing at NT this year, but he's being moved to UT. Because of that, I decided to go with UCLA's NT who has good size, great potential, and is good against both stuffing the run and rushing the passer. He is on my radar to monitor throughout the 2015 CFB season.

3) Corey Coleman, WR/KR Baylor - I expect one of MLJ or Sanu to leave in FA next year. Because of that, the Bengals need to draft a WR. Coleman is a speedster who averaged 17.5 yards per reception last year. He also has experience as a KR for Baylor, averaging just under 28 yards per KR in his two seasons thus far.

4) Jack Allen, C Michigan St - Allen has been great for MSU both in pass and run protection. In fact, in 2014, Allen did not allow a single sack. Allen is not the most physically gifted player, but he's very technically sound, intelligent, and well-rounded.

5) LaDarrell McNeil, S Tennessee - Experience at both safety positions and shows strong run support. He's also a big hitter. McNeil had two INTs and three PDs in 2014.

6) Devon Johnson, RB/FB Marshall - Johnson has been a hoss for Marshall at RB, producing 1767 rush yards (8.6 avg) with 17 rush TDs. He also was effective with the catches he had, gaining 121 receiving yards on just 6 receptions (20.2 avg) and two more TDs. He's got FB size at 6'1", 243 lbs as well as a gritty style that could have him as a lead blocker in the NFL with a big threat to run the ball.

7) Noah Spence, DE EKU (OSU) - Multiple failed drug tests caused him to be suspended from Ohio St all of last season. He transferred to EKU but was arrested this past May for public intoxication. These off-field issues cause him to drop all the way to the bottom of the draft. However, he does have talent on the field, as he had 52 total tackles, 14.5 TFLs 8 sacks, 2 PDs, and 1 FF in 2013 alone. An Ohio St reclamation project that could boost the team's pass rush if he gets his head on straight? Sounds like high reward for very low risk if he's available here in the seventh round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2015, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) Jaylon Smith, LB Notre Dame - Smith is a versatile, fast, instinctive, athletic LB who fits the mold of Dawson. Maualuga's contract price drastically drops after this season, leaving him as a candidate for being cut or a backup. The thought of Smith with Dawson and Burfict as the starting LBs makes my mouth water.

2) Eddie Vanderdoes, DT UCLA - I'd choose Adolphus Washington if he was staying and growing at NT this year, but he's being moved to UT. Because of that, I decided to go with UCLA's NT who has good size, great potential, and is good against both stuffing the run and rushing the passer. He is on my radar to monitor throughout the 2015 CFB season.

3) Corey Coleman, WR/KR Baylor - I expect one of MLJ or Sanu to leave in FA next year. Because of that, the Bengals need to draft a WR. Coleman is a speedster who averaged 17.5 yards per reception last year. He also has experience as a KR for Baylor, averaging just under 28 yards per KR in his two seasons thus far.

4) Jack Allen, C Michigan St - Allen has been great for MSU both in pass and run protection. In fact, in 2014, Allen did not allow a single sack. Allen is not the most physically gifted player, but he's very technically sound, intelligent, and well-rounded.

5) LaDarrell McNeil, S Tennessee - Experience at both safety positions and shows strong run support. He's also a big hitter. McNeil had two INTs and three PDs in 2014.

6) Devon Johnson, RB/FB Marshall - Johnson has been a hoss for Marshall at RB, producing 1767 rush yards (8.6 avg) with 17 rush TDs. He also was effective with the catches he had, gaining 121 receiving yards on just 6 receptions (20.2 avg) and two more TDs. He's got FB size at 6'1", 243 lbs as well as a gritty style that could have him as a lead blocker in the NFL with a big threat to run the ball.

7) Noah Spence, DE EKU (OSU) - Multiple failed drug tests caused him to be suspended from Ohio St all of last season. He transferred to EKU but was arrested this past May for public intoxication. These off-field issues cause him to drop all the way to the bottom of the draft. However, he does have talent on the field, as he had 52 total tackles, 14.5 TFLs 8 sacks, 2 PDs, and 1 FF in 2013 alone. An Ohio St reclamation project that could boost the team's pass rush if he gets his head on straight? Sounds like high reward for very low risk if he's available here in the seventh round.

1- Love Smith... I don't need to say anything else.
2- Same sentiment here.  I prefer Washington as a NT, but Vanderdoes is a strong 2nd.
3- I don't particularly care for receivers out of Baylor.  We need to go WR but not sure if he is a wise choice.
4- Allen is solid, the only mid round center I have ahead of him is Mathews.
5- I see us going CB more than S in the 2016 draft.  But McNeil is a solid pick in the 5th.  Could see him impressing and moving up the boards this year.
6- I love the idea, but can the Bengals justify giving up a roster spot?
7- I am all for this pick.  If he doesn't get drafted he will likely be the first UDFA signed (with the Bengals or somewhere else).
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2015, 10:26 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: 1- Love Smith... I don't need to say anything else.
2- Same sentiment here.  I prefer Washington as a NT, but Vanderdoes is a strong 2nd.
3- I don't particularly care for receivers out of Baylor.  We need to go WR but not sure if he is a wise choice.
4- Allen is solid, the only mid round center I have ahead of him is Mathews.
5- I see us going CB more than S in the 2016 draft.  But McNeil is a solid pick in the 5th.  Could see him impressing and moving up the boards this year.
6- I love the idea, but can the Bengals justify giving up a roster spot?
7- I am all for this pick.  If he doesn't get drafted he will likely be the first UDFA signed (with the Bengals or somewhere else).

All are valid points.

The logic behind picking Coleman was his fit as a dynamic slot receiver and KR. Even though Alford was drafted, he's apparently having issues with coming down with the catch off the first touch (a lot of bobbling). I also think (hope) MLJ is the one re-signed, but regardless I think two of MLJ, Sanu, and Moore stay in a Bengals uniform for 2016 and beyond. This helps secure the outside but there could be some need for a(nother) slot receiver. I understand the worry of Baylor offensive players though. Perhaps there is a similar player to Coleman but safer of a pick, but Coleman looked good from the limited research I've been able to find on him.

I like Mathews over Allen too, but I think Mathews will go late third or early fourth before the Bengals pick.

What I like about McNeil is his versatility and experience at both safety spots. I think that with Nelson likely leaving (and slight possibility of Iloka), there could be a need for safety depth. I do see value in drafting a CB (and the Bengals are prone to draft a CB every year), so that could come in the fifth or sixth round, but it may not be needed. We can definitely both agree that some type of DB should be drafted.

Regarding DJ, I do think the Bengals have the luxury (and use) for a player like him. There's already talk of Wilder pushing for the final RB spot and seeing some snaps at FB, so it's not far off to see another player drafted to compete for the same role. But this pick could also be used for a DB or blocking TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote