Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Will Clarke ready to step up?
(07-10-2015, 10:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do realize that there were probably over 130 DEs on NFL rosters last year, right?

Jeeez, that's like 4 per team.

I'm sure all of them played a reasonable amount of snaps so we could measure all of them equally... right?
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 10:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: NFL.com link that shows Geathers is bottom third in the league in run defense.

Also link from NFL.com showing how many run snaps he played.

Okay so now you're mixing and matching posts to misinform again? Shocked fred. You must be a terrible lawyer. .
Snap count numbers come from PFF. Premium stats so I can't just link you to those. 
I was referring to the 1st down rushing numbers, that you again have ignored. 

(07-10-2015, 10:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Your only other point that I could see was that he was not very effective in rushing the passer.

That does not prove he was the worst DE in the league.  Not even close.

Can't rush the passer. 
Not good vs the run.

What the **** is he good at fred? 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 11:09 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Jeeez, that's like 4 per team.

I'm sure all of them played a reasonable amount of snaps so we could measure all of them equally... right?

No, a lot of them did not play much at all because they are not as good as the ones who are playing.

That was kind of my point.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 11:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I was referring to the 1st down rushing numbers, that you again have ignored. 

I didn't ignore them.  We ranked ahead of several other teams in all of those stats so that helps prove MY point that Geathers was not the worst DE in the league.

"We finished better than several other teams in all of these stats.  And that is my proof that geathers is the worst DE in the league........Derp"
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 11:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, a lot of them did not play much at all because they are not as good as the ones who are playing.

That was kind of my point.

Mellow

That's some of the worst logic I think I've ever seen, because Robert played over 600 snaps and more than 50% of the team's total snaps, he was better than those who didn't play as many or barely played at all... even though his per snap production was literally bottom of the league.

I'm done, this can't continue. I can't believe I've wasted this much time trying to explain why Geathers sucks.
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 12:29 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Mellow

That's some of the worst logic I think I've ever seen, because Robert played over 600 snaps and more than 50% of the team's total snaps, he was better than those who didn't play as many or barely played at all... even though his per snap production was literally bottom of the league.

I'm done, this can't continue. I can't believe I've wasted this much time trying to explain why Geathers sucks.

Yeah, you are probably right.  How silly of me to think that the guys who play are better than the guys who don't play.

I mean all we have to do is look at the stats that don't include the guys who didn't play to prove that the guys who didn't play are better.  How can I disagree with logic like that?
Reply/Quote
Amazing how this has turned into a "how good is Geathers" debate. Geathers was a proven player on this squad and given us 9 years of faithful service. It is a shame to see folks try to tear him down. WTS, 9 years appears to be his limit and we are moving on.

I don't think Marvin and Co. deciding to go with the veteran more so than the rookie last year means very much; as they always seem hesitant to play rookies on the dline. I assume this time next year we will be ready to wash our hands of Hardison if Peko gets more snaps.

I have high hopes for Clarke and hope he gives us much needed pressure on the QB. I wonder how many Vikings fans considered Everson Griffen a bust.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2015, 12:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  I wonder how many Vikings fans considered Everson Griffen a bust.

Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, Jason Peters, and James Harrison were practice squad players their first seasons.

Jeff Saturday could not even make a practice squad his first year out of college.

Priest Holmes did nothing but cover kicks his rookies season.  

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila was a practice squad player his rookie year for the Packers then had 49 sacks over the next four season.

Will Will Clarke be as good as any of these players?  I have no idea.  But I know enough about the NFL to not judge a player by what he does his rookie season.
Reply/Quote
I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Will Clarke this year. I know I was with Boiling after his first season. That one season in an NFL program is very important for linemen.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 02:33 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: I'd prefer an 8 man oline and a 10 man dline in 2015.  

Oline (8):  Whit/Fisher, Boling, Bodine/TJ Johnson, Zeitler, Smith/Winston
PUP:  Ogbuehi
PS:  Trey Hopkins (G), Jake Smith (C )?

Fisher is being groomed to back up 4 oline positions, and Ogbuehi may be available week 7 or later (if needed at all).  
Winston is the first tackle off the bench; Fisher is the first guard off the bench.  

Dline (10):  Dunlap/Clarke, Atkins/Hardison, Peko/Thompson/Sims, MJ90/Gilberry/Hunt
Cut:  Devon Still

This preserves dline depth/rotation, prepares for the potential departure of Gilberry/Peko in 2016, and hopefully helps with the run-defense woes evidenced in the playoffs.  

2016 oline (9):  Ogbuehi/Whit, Boling/Hopkins, Bodine/TJ Johnson?, Zeitler, Fisher/Rookie
2016 dline (9):  Dunlap/Clarke, Atkins/Hardison, Thompson/Rookie, MJ90/Rookie/Hunt?
No way do I let Hopkins go to the PS.  That guy is critical depth at Guard.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 08:40 PM)J24 Wrote: Key difference the players in front of him were actually proven players and were good players. Clarke couldn't even beat out Geathers.

Beating out Geathers proved nearly impossible, even for Dunlap for some time. Marvin loves his veterans.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 10:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Beating out Geathers proved nearly impossible, even for Dunlap for some time. Marvin loves his veterans.

Dunlap still played and produced during his rookie season vs Clarke who only 64 snaps during his first season. Hopefully Clarke turns it around but I am not going to hold my breath on it. I think if he was any good the team would have played him more than just 64 snaps because A.) We love a good rotation and B.) we were desperate for a pass rush last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think that W. Clarke can be a very good role player for us. He is built to stop the run, however, I would not be surprised if he develops into a decent pass rusher. With his long frame he is still developing into, he could surprise some people. We have been pretty good at developing D-line prospects.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2015, 10:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Beating out Geathers proved nearly impossible, even for Dunlap for some time. Marvin loves his veterans.

Dunlap came out of college with a reputation for not working hard.
Zimmer and Lewis both commented on that. Said he had to work for his PT. 
His rookie year and even his 2nd year he had to grow up and learn to work hard. 

I'd say it paid off. 
He's one of the hardest working guys every Sunday. Not often you see 280 lbs DEs chase down RBs from the backside 40 yards downfield. 
Reply/Quote