Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gilberry on improving his play
http://espn.go.com/b...for-reinvention

So, how exactly does one reinvent themselves?
"I go back and watch all my bad plays," Gilberry said. "If I miss a tackle, I go back and watch it. Maybe my hands were wrong coming off the line of scrimmage or maybe I stepped underneath myself, how can I figure out how not to do that? You just go back to the lab and reinvent yourself and come back out and try to apply those new things from the mistakes that you learn and hopefully it all gets better."

I wonder what ever gave Gilberry the idea that he can improve on his hand placement? I have heard that that is a natural skill that can never be improved. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: http://espn.go.com/b...for-reinvention

"I go back and watch all my bad plays," Gilberry said. "If I miss a tackle, I go back and watch it. Maybe my hands were wrong coming off the line of scrimmage or maybe I stepped underneath myself, how can I figure out how not to do that? You just go back to the lab and reinvent yourself and come back out and try to apply those new things from the mistakes that you learn and hopefully it all gets better."

I wonder what ever gave Gilberry the idea that he can improve on his hand placement?   I have heard that that is a natural skill that can never be improved.  Smirk

Creating a thread to take a shot and call out a specific board member? Classy stuff there.

Gilberry doesn't seem to have the best gas tank for a bigger guy, so maybe having his snaps cut back to around 500 from 900 will be good for him. Solid rotational player, but not a guy you want out there for 50-60 snaps a game over 16 games.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:16 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Creating a thread to take a shot and call out a specific board member? Classy stuff there.

Gilberry doesn't seem to have the best gas tank for a bigger guy, so maybe having his snaps cut back to around 500 from 900 will be good for him. Solid rotational player, but not a guy you want out there for 50-60 snaps a game over 16 games.

Good thing we picked up Micheal Johnson then. Clarke didn't look too shabby when he was in either. Our D-line will have a really good rotation going for it next year. I like Gilberry, but I have to agree with you about his gas tank, and he's meh against the run.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:16 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Creating a thread to take a shot and call out a specific board member? Classy stuff there.

Only thing I posted was about football.  I posted it to make a point, but it was nothing personal.

Isn't that the point of these boards?  To have discussions about football?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only thing I posted was about football.  I posted it to make a point, but it was nothing personal.

No it's okay freddy. 
you're a jackass we all know. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Good thing we picked up Micheal Johnson then. Clarke didn't look too shabby when he was in either. Our D-line will have a really good rotation going for it next year. I like Gilberry, but I have to agree with you about his gas tank, and he's meh against the run.

I don't know about Clarke, but I'm going to be very happy to see MJ on the line again. It's also nice that some of our ends can move inside to relieve the DTs as well. Hopefully we can see the d-line become a strength of this team again as it was in the past. I haven't seen enough of Clarke yet, but I'll be happy if he can even become a solid rotational player, as we already have plenty of quality ends on the roster.

(06-18-2015, 01:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only thing I posted was about football.  I posted it to make a point, but it was nothing personal.

Oh, bullshit. If you wanted to talk about football you wouldn't have made a direct reference and clear shot at berserker in your post.

From the other threads you're posting in, I can see you're on your period today anyway, so carry on and pretend you weren't trying to straight up insult somebody with this thread.
Reply/Quote
As for actually talking about Gilberry, he got tired. He isn't a full time player. He's rotational.
Reply/Quote
Not to break up the catfight; but Gilberry may be trying to improve his hands on another squad. Lots of talented folks fighting for the 53 on our squad.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:28 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't know about Clarke, but I'm going to be very happy to see MJ on the line again. It's also nice that some of our ends can move inside to relieve the DTs as well. Hopefully we can see the d-line become a strength of this team again as it was in the past. I haven't seen enough of Clarke yet, but I'll be happy if he can even become a solid rotational player, as we already have plenty of quality ends on the roster.

Oh, bullshit. If you wanted to talk about football you wouldn't have made a direct reference and clear shot at berserker in your post.

From the other threads you're posting in, I can see you're on your period today anyway, so carry on and pretend you weren't trying to straight up insult somebody with this thread.

It's cool.
 I know me and you go at it, but I think it's funny when we do it...mostly for the hyperbole. 

He's really taking what I said out of the context, Bodine lacking a punch, a punch can't be taught and that leads to his bad hands is no different to him than Gilberry who has good hands just missing with them. 
Gilberry has shown the ability to use his hands at a high level. The other hasn't. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:28 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't know about Clarke, but I'm going to be very happy to see MJ on the line again. It's also nice that some of our ends can move inside to relieve the DTs as well. Hopefully we can see the d-line become a strength of this team again as it was in the past. I haven't seen enough of Clarke yet, but I'll be happy if he can even become a solid rotational player, as we already have plenty of quality ends on the roster.

Clarke will be an interesting case. He's got a long way to go and his bulk up all be means he won't be at  DE in pass rush situations, at least I hope he isn't. 

I really wish we would have added a true edge rusher. 
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not to break up the catfight; but Gilberry may be trying to improve his hands on another squad. Lots of talented folks fighting for the 53 on our squad.

You really think Gilberry could be an odd man out though? That's pretty bold, I sort of see him as a lock, especially since he's a pretty good rotational player. I think a lot of people would be surprised if they cut Hunt, but I won't be shocked at all.

(06-18-2015, 01:32 PM)RoyleRedleg Wrote: Gilberry has shown the ability to use his hands at a high level. The other hasn't. 

Yep, Gilberry isn't amazing, but we've seen what he can do in a good rotation. I'm happy with him on the team as long as it isn't in their plans to give him 850 snaps again. I wouldn't mind seeing them eye up another C at some point, but that's an entirely different thread.

(06-18-2015, 01:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Clarke will be an interesting case. He's got a long way to go and his bulk up all be means he won't be at  DE in pass rush situations, at least I hope he isn't. 

I really wish we would have added a true edge rusher. 

People have been high on Clarke for whatever reason, but I haven't seen a lot from him that truly impressed me. I haven't seen much from him in general though. I think the team was hoping that Clarke turned into MJ, but now we have actual MJ again so I can see Clarke being dispensable shortly if he doesn't show the coaching staff what they want out of him.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:49 PM)djs7685 Wrote: You really think Gilberry could be an odd man out though? That's pretty bold, I sort of see him as a lock, especially since he's a pretty good rotational player. I think a lot of people would be surprised if they cut Hunt, but I won't be shocked at all.

Yep, Gilberry isn't amazing, but we've seen what he can do in a good rotation. I'm happy with him on the team as long as it isn't in their plans to give him 850 snaps again. I wouldn't mind seeing them eye up another C at some point, but that's an entirely different thread.

People have been high on Clarke for whatever reason, but I haven't seen a lot from him that truly impressed me. I haven't seen much from him in general though. I think the team was hoping that Clarke turned into MJ, but now we have actual MJ again so I can see Clarke being dispensable shortly if he doesn't show the coaching staff what they want out of him.

The only way I could see Gilberry as odd man out is if Clarke AND Hunt have ridiculous camps and pre-seasons. And even then, they would have to be unbelievably good considering how Hunt looked last year and laid another egg. 

No reason Gilberry should have gotten that many snaps other than the only other DE we had to play was Robert Geathers. So....yuck.

I wasn't a fan of the pick, with the added weight ( I think he's around 290) that at least means he could potentially add some serious value as  a run defender. 
Reply/Quote
Man am I glad Johnson is back with this group. Gilberry proved at best he his a good rotational player last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:32 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's cool.
 I know me and you go at it, but I think it's funny when we do it...mostly for the hyperbole. 

He's really taking what I said out of the context, Bodine lacking a punch, a punch can't be taught and that leads to his bad hands is no different to him than Gilberry who has good hands just missing with them. 
Gilberry has shown the ability to use his hands at a high level. The other hasn't. 

You just compared an 8 year pro to a rookie, about hand placement that you claim cant improve...If you do the drills/practice the techniques for hand placement you improve will your punch(Do I know this for sure of course not but people get paid to do this on the high school,collegiate and professional level). And if the coaches agree that his punch is an issue(which i have yet to hear them say) lets say you are correct ARE YOU CLAIMING THERE ARE NO DRILLS TO INCREASE PUNCH/SPEED? Even boxers have drills to increase punch speed. I challenge you to find anything supporting the hand speed/placement thing you keep bringing up erroneously. 
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:55 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The only way I could see Gilberry as odd man out is if Clarke AND Hunt have ridiculous camps and pre-seasons. And even then, they would have to be unbelievably good considering how Hunt looked last year and laid another egg. 

No reason Gilberry should have gotten that many snaps other than the only other DE we had to play was Robert Geathers. So....yuck.

I wasn't a fan of the pick, with the added weight ( I think he's around 290) that at least means he could potentially add some serious value as  a run defender. 
I would bet if Hunt doesn't blow the roof off the place in camp/preseason he will be heading out.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 07:08 PM)CincyProduct Wrote: You just compared an 8 year pro to a rookie, about hand placement that you claim cant improve...If you do the drills/practice the techniques for hand placement you improve will your punch(Do I know this for sure of course not but people get paid to do this on the high school,collegiate and professional level). And if the coaches agree that his punch is an issue(which i have yet to hear them say) lets say you are correct ARE YOU CLAIMING THERE ARE NO DRILLS TO INCREASE PUNCH/SPEED? Even boxers have drills to increase punch speed. I challenge you to find anything supporting the hand speed/placement thing you keep bringing up erroneously. 

Boxers are by nature punchers. 
Bodine is not a puncher.
You can't make someone a puncher.

You like freddy, apparently lack the ability to differentiate. 

I didn't make the comparison. Freddy did. Idiot. 
I was saying there wasn't a comparison, again, idiot. 
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 10:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Boxers are by nature punchers. 
Bodine is not a puncher.

Yes you can make a guy a puncher.  We have already been over this.  You can't just make stuff up and claim it is true.  And you have absolutely nothing to back up your silly claim.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 01:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: http://espn.go.com/b...for-reinvention

I wonder what ever gave Gilberry the idea that he can improve on his hand placement?   I have heard that that is a natural skill that can never be improved.  Smirk

I'm pretty sure every skill can be improved, if you work at it.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2015, 10:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Boxers are by nature punchers. 
Bodine is not a puncher.

You like freddy, apparently lack the ability to differentiate. 

I didn't make the comparison. Freddy did. Idiot. 
I was saying there wasn't a comparison, again, idiot. 

Are you serious? You mean to tell me If a guy goes to train to be a boxer, that a man who you feel is a natural puncher will beat him because of some made up value of a natural puncher?

I think its your inability to know what you are talking about when it comes to techniques and practice drills. It is crazy for you to assume that Bodines problems can not be fixed because "He is not a puncher" according to you.
And btw you dont have to be "by nature puncher" to be a boxer. You can go to the gym no skill at all and become one. Or are you claiming every boxer to ever touch this green earth is a puncher? Maybe even worse you are saying none of them learned this skill from continueing to keep practicing.

You are making alot of assumptions based on............"Im a coach on a message board(whoops i spilled my beer on my keyboard grabbing my mouse)" just stop it.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2015, 12:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes you can make a guy a puncher.  We have already been over this.  You can't just make stuff up and claim it is true.  And you have absolutely nothing to back up your silly claim.

You keep saying you disagree but provide no evidence of your own while clamoring for mine. Hypocrite or just typical jackass freddy? 

I guess this is like when you accused me of making up the snap issue from last camp....let's see what was reported last week....

[Image: UMVfvqDF.png]

I look forward to you telling me that this never happened in a few weeks. 

(06-20-2015, 11:43 AM)CincyProduct Wrote: Are you serious? You mean to tell me If a guy goes to train to be a boxer, that a man who you feel is a natural puncher will beat him because of some made up value of a natural puncher?

I think its your inability to know what you are talking about when it comes to techniques and practice drills. It is crazy for you to assume that Bodines problems can not be fixed because "He is not a puncher" according to you.
And btw you dont have to be "by nature puncher" to be a boxer. You can go to the gym no skill at all and become one. Or are you claiming every boxer to ever touch this green earth is a puncher? Maybe even worse you are saying none of them learned this skill from continueing to keep practicing.

You are making alot of assumptions based on............"Im a coach on a message board(whoops i spilled my beer on my keyboard grabbing my mouse)" just stop it.

I'm saying the good ones are. 
Some people have the god given gift to punch. Some do not. That's it. If you have it, you can train it and hone it. If you don't you can find ways to work around if you have other abilities.  
Some guys who aren't natural punchers have other gifts, athleticism and size to name a few....Bodine doesn't exactly have either of those. 

Again, never claimed to be a coach. That's your idiotic ass again throwing out incorrect conclusions. 
Reply/Quote