Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gilberry to the Lions
(04-05-2016, 11:04 AM)samhain Wrote: I've been thinking this for awhile now, too.  They re-signed all of the DTs but have stayed put with the ends.  I'll be pretty surprised if we don't see them grab an end in 1 or 2.

Trading up for Bosa da boss
Reply/Quote
The light better come on for Margus this year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 02:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Trading up for Bosa da boss

Definitely won't happen, the Bengals still have too many spots to (back)fill and cherish their draft picks. More likely they would trade down based on players available. But the Bengals taking someone like Dodd, Ogbah, or even Calhoun? I can see that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 03:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Definitely won't happen, the Bengals still have too many spots to (back)fill and cherish their draft picks. More likely they would trade down based on players available. But the Bengals taking someone like Dodd, Ogbah, or even Calhoun? I can see that.

Shh mannn. I'm dreaming. I don't want to see a white Terrell Suggs in Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 02:51 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The light better come on for Margus this year.

Won't happen.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 08:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I would really be shocked if we don't take a DE in the draft, so I wouldn't say they're both safe...yet.

I would be seriously looking at Emmauel Ogbah at 24 if he is there.
Reply/Quote
Gilberry had fewr tackles this past year than AJ Hawk. Gilberry's production had fallen of sharply in the last two seasons. I don't think we have to worry about Hunt. The Bengals Have DL waiting in the wings who are better than Hunt (Hardison and DeShawn Williams). I think we will get some looks with Hardison at DE and Williams at DT. Plus I think we will definitely pick up likely two DLs in the draft....this is a strong class for DL.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 08:15 PM)Beaker Wrote: Gilberry had fewr tackles this past year than AJ Hawk. Gilberry's production had fallen of sharply in the last two seasons. I don't think we have to worry about Hunt. The Bengals Have DL waiting in the wings who are better than Hunt (Hardison and DeShawn Williams). I think we will get some looks with Hardison at DE and Williams at DT. Plus I think we will definitely pick up likely two DLs in the draft....this is a strong class for DL.

Likely why I wasn't sad to see the Bengals let him walk.  The team got the best out of him, I think his productive days are done.  He may still have some value, in spot/situational duty, but that is about it.  I think that the season that MJ was with Tampa, really took a toll on Wally, as he played a high percentage of snaps that season. 

You also mention Hardison playing some DE, I could only hope that the Bengals show more odd front looks.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 10:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "potential starter?

Shocked

Injuries happen bro.

Reply/Quote
I'd keep Hunt over Clarke. At least he contributes on 4th down. And can set an edge.

Clarke hasn't taken any steps.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 09:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'd keep Hunt over Clarke. At least he contributes on 4th down. And can set an edge.

Clarke hasn't taken any steps.

It adds another guy lost to help our compensary picks number and position. Gilberry was non existent last year in my opinion. It is time to see if Hunt, Clarke or a new draft pick can pick up his back up role. It is not like we lost a starting DE.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 10:01 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It adds another guy lost to help our compensary picks number and position. Gilberry was non existent last year in my opinion. It is time to see if Hunt, Clarke or a new draft pick can pick up his back up role. It is not like we lost a starting DE.

No, but we lost a DE that has contributed more than Hunt and Clarke combined. And that says something about Hunt and Clarke. Especially if they are the "replacements".

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 10:01 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Gilberry was non existent last year in my opinion.

He played over half of the snaps (58%) for one of the best defenses in the league.  He won't be as easy to replace as some people think.  Not everything a D-lineman does shows up in the individual stats.
Reply/Quote
My seats are in the south end zone (best place in the stadium) and I always go down to the east corner during warmups to fire up the DL's. A couple of years ago we were getting ready to play Shitsburgh and I must have been pretty intense. Gilberry came over and said "Hey man, are you all right?"

Another time when warmups were over he flipped me the ball. I was really excited until he shook his head and pointed to a little girl standing next to me. Of course I gave her the ball.

I am really going to miss Gilberry, on and off the field.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He played over half of the snaps (58%) for one of the best defenses in the league.  He won't be as easy to replace as some people think.  Not everything a D-lineman does shows up in the individual stats.
I think if you give Hunt or Clarke 58% of the snaps we would get 2 sacks and 23 tackles. I agree the stats dont tell the whole story. But he proved in 2014 if forced in to starting duty he blows. Its no secret guys will peak then enter a decline phase. I think we got his peak years. Cant keep everybody. There is still a chance Hunt and Clarke have their best football ahead.

So you either let the guy on the decline whose contract is up walk and replace him with a new guy or cut a guy who still has potential and is under contract for a new guy.

He was an average role player. 58% is a lot of snaps. So if/when we find the guy that is an upgrade on Gilberry our D will be that much better.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2016, 02:14 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:  But he proved in 2014 if forced in to starting duty he blows.

In 2014 Gilberry was top 25 among all D-linemen in tackles.  There is more to playing D-line that just sacks.

I agree that Gilberry should not be a starting DE, but he played more than half the snaps last year. You can't just plug in any scrub and have as good a defense as we did last year.
Reply/Quote