Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antarctica Gaining More Ice Than Losing, says NASA
(11-03-2015, 04:23 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: There is also actually more water in the southern hemisphere, which dissipates the heat more.
Antarctica also has a much higher altitude and is colder than the north pole.

That could play a factor with the ice formation.

I hope this whole "discovery" can chill some of the climate change hysteria that goes around is used as scare tactics and lead to more thorough in depth research. 

MOAR SCIENCE 
(11-03-2015, 03:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: maybe the tilt of the earth has changed slightly?

But wouldn't this have the same effect on both poles?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Continental ice and sea ice are different things and they are effected by different things. The fact that Antarctica as a whole still gained ice is not really all that surprising. I would be more shocked if the tonnage of sea ice had increased.

The arctic is a very different beast in the fact that it is all sea ice.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(11-03-2015, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But wouldn't this have the same effect on both poles?

Depends on the axis wobble and position of the earths orbit around the sun, I believe.

I'm also wondering if the ice accumulation is the same across the continent ?
Apparently the western region of Antarctica is greatly affected by the conditions in the Southern Ocean.

2013 article
(11-03-2015, 03:16 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Strange to see people who regularly post about the idiocy of climate change "deniers" sayings "hmmm, this is interesting".

It's bush league science, or at least what's been reported isn't nearly the same as what academic studies are concluding.  They don't even know what they don't know, which is why they continue to be so frickin' wrong again and again and again and again.

Yes, the left picked up this political football to run it down the field...everyone else is like "what science?...this isn't science this is conjecture"  Somehow understanding science in this case gets one branded as anti-science.  You can't make-up that level hypocrisy.

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

Are you actually saying that there has not been an increase in the temperature or are you saying that man is not the reason.

I have done a lot of research onm this and I can guarantee you that this is not all just some fiction created for no reason other than to hurt oujfr economy.  i have never understood why so many people think that people would intentionally make up a lie that hurts our economy.  What would be the point of that?

From the most reasonable, unbiased sources I have seen it seems that there is an agreement among scientists that there is a warming trend.  there is also pretty much a consensus that CO2 is contributing to some extent.  The only real question is how much is being caused by man-made CO2 emissions. 

So since you understand science please tell me what your opinion is.  this is an issue that I have a lot of interest in.  So please give me your expert opinion since you understand it all.
(11-02-2015, 08:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not sure I understand what is happening here.

Part of the ice is melting, but in other places it is getting thicker?  Is that right?  

Where does the new ice come from?  Is it just rain and snow that freezes when it lands on the cold parts that are not melting?  If so it could have to do with increased precipitation instead of any change in temperature.

Can you answer these questions for me also, JustWin?

How id it possible that part of the ice is melting faster but other parts are getting thicker.  I am really confused by this.  Glad to have finally found someone who knows all the answers and understands what is going on.
Welp, just as the lead writer on this study predicted, climate change deniers are incorrectly using this data to propose that climate change is either non existent or not a big deal. Neither he, nor I, are surprised.
(11-02-2015, 04:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would then have the question of what is the deal with the ice loss in the northern regions? Is the ice volume in the north decreasing? Between the two polar regions is it a net gain or a net loss? Then we have to look at the climate as a whole with this year, from what I'm given to understand, being the hottest on record to date. So is this a case of just the southern polar region's climate patterns being less affected than other areas?

Lots of questions this can bring up. Definitely is not an end to the climate change discussions, but brings some new information to it and some interesting questions to think of.

According to this article from Forbes the Arctic ice levels are above normal.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2015/05/19/updated-nasa-data-polar-ice-not-receding-after-all/
(11-17-2015, 01:23 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: According to this article from Forbes the Arctic ice levels are above normal.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2015/05/19/updated-nasa-data-polar-ice-not-receding-after-all/

This is great news. Because according to Bernie Sanders this could put an end to terrorism. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-03-2015, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But wouldn't this have the same effect on both poles?

No because one would potentially be pointed closer to the sun. like the North which leads the south more shaded...

just a thought.
(11-17-2015, 02:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is great news. Because according to Bernie Sanders this could put an end to terrorism. 

You're funny.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-17-2015, 02:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: You're funny.

That one actually was.

But enough about him....
Ninja
(11-17-2015, 03:02 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: That one actually was.

But enough about him....
Ninja

He didn't say that.   Ninja
(11-17-2015, 03:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: He didn't say that.   Ninja

You're right.
He has us all programmed to do it for him now.
Damn those government peoples !!
Shocked
(11-17-2015, 01:23 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: According to this article from Forbes the Arctic ice levels are above normal.

Definitely some interesting stuff. I will have to do some more looking around to see if I can get some more information on it. I'd be interested still to know what the other indicators of climate change have been doing.
Climate change causes terrorism lol

Love when these stories come out about how the world is doing what it should do.  

Earth 1 environmental nutjobs 0

Environmentalism is a religion and it's extreme.
(11-17-2015, 06:58 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Climate change causes terrorism lol

Love when these stories come out about how the world is doing what it should do.  

Earth 1 environmental nutjobs 0

Environmentalism is a religion and it's extreme.

Terrorism is caused (mostly) by religious nut jobs / those looking out for there "own kind".

Recruiting is helped by economic and social conditions that cause unrest and people to look for a way to act out on what they perceive as an unfair world.

Climate change adds to all of that.

But please, continue.  I'm sure there is a neo-nazi site that has some lies info you'd like to share. Smirk