Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gio And Others Are Returning Punts
Honestly, I just made this thread because it gives me a glimmer of hope that Tate might be cut, but, according to CincyJungle, Gio, A Jones, and the new guy, Mario Alford, were all returning punts.

If Dre and Dennard take over the starting corner positions, and Hall is our nickel guy, then I feel like we may finally see Jones returning punts full-time and Tate could be kicked to the curb (I can hope and pray, can't I?).

I could also see Alford getting some reps, so it looks like the "Say A Prayer Whenever Tate's Returning" era could be over.
Reply/Quote
I really hope so too, but I think this has happened in our previous OTA's.

Gio returning punts would be awesome as well, since his role has become cut due to Hill.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I really hope so too, but I think this has happened in our previous OTA's.

Gio returning punts would be awesome as well, since his role has become cut due to Hill.

Forgot to mention that, but you're right and hopefully the coaches realize that and want the best players on the field.
Reply/Quote
I didn't understand why we didn't let Sanzenbacher return punts or kicks.. He had returned 1 each year in the last 2 years in preseasons...
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:20 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I didn't understand why we didn't let Sanzenbacher return punts or kicks.. He had returned 1 each year in the last 2 years in preseasons...

Because it's Tate.

Not sure why they haven't let McCalebb return more kicks than he has. He had a very nice return last year in preseason, but didn't see much of him since.
Reply/Quote
About time Gio returned some punts. He was pretty good at it in college.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 01:30 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: About time Gio returned some punts. He was pretty good at it in college.

I agree.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 01:24 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Because it's Tate.

Not sure why they haven't let McCalebb return more kicks than he has. He had a very nice return last year in preseason, but didn't see much of him since.

To be a returner you must actually be on the 53 man roster and active on the 46 game day roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Honestly, I just made this thread because it gives me a glimmer of hope that Tate might be cut, but, according to CincyJungle, Gio, A Jones, and the new guy, Mario Alford, were all returning punts.

If Dre and Dennard take over the starting corner positions, and Hall is our nickel guy, then I feel like we may finally see Jones returning punts full-time and Tate could be kicked to the curb (I can hope and pray, can't I?).  

I could also see Alford getting some reps, so it looks like the "Say A Prayer Whenever Tate's Returning" era could be over.

I certainly think we can improve over Tate in the return game but not sure why you would be saying a prayer when he was returning. While he is not dynamic he was most certainly reliable and consistent.

So did the article mention if any of these guys are taking snaps as a kickoff returner?
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 01:30 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: About time Gio returned some punts. He was pretty good at it in college.

You mean it looks like this team is actually playing to its strengths???
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Yes he was. In 2012, he gained 263 yards on 16 PRs with 2 TDs. That's a 16.4 average.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 09:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Honestly, I just made this thread because it gives me a glimmer of hope that Tate might be cut, but, according to CincyJungle, Gio, A Jones, and the new guy, Mario Alford, were all returning punts.

Tate has been the most reliable returner we have had in a while in terms of ball security so whats your issue with him?
Reply/Quote
I see the Tate hate has carried over on to these boards. It's hilarious. All the guy has done is be productive. Every year he holds down one of the leagues highest return averages, and has been a useful 4th-5th receiver in the offense. If he is released so be it, but he has been good for this team. I think a lot of people forget that kick and punt return TDs are relatively rare and even the best in the league struggle to do it more than 5 times a year.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 12:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Tate has been the most reliable returner we have had in a while in terms of ball security so whats your issue with him?
In terms of reliability, he has been good. I expect people saw how much more dynamic of a return game the Bengals had last year when Adam Jones was doing KR/PR.

Tate averages just under 10 yards per PR and he fair catches a lot (double digits every year as a Bengal).
Adam Jones averaged almost 12 yards per PR last year, only fair catching once since 2006.

Regarding KR, Jones averaged over 30 yards per return last season and has a 27.84 average as a Bengal.
Tate has a respectable KR average. He has averaged 24.44 yards per KR as a Bengal.

But a hurt returner is a bad returner, and Tate has always shown a good bill of health whereas Jones has not always done so. If Jones can stay healthy like last season, he has shown what a great returner can do compared to a solid returner.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
for those saying tate is reliable, yes he is good for 5 to 10 yards, but you always feel like if Pacman is returning it he could take it to the house if not 30 or 40 yards..

Not to mention the thought of Gio returning punts that'd be awesome.

Point is we have people that are better than tate at returning that are actually valuable. Tate is never going to amount to anything as a receiver . Don't keep him on the team for his returning, he's no Dante hall or Devin hester.
Reply/Quote
Yes please.

[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 12:21 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I see the Tate hate has carried over on to these boards. It's hilarious. All the guy has done is be productive. Every year he holds down one of the leagues highest return averages, and has been a useful 4th-5th receiver in the offense. If he is released so be it, but he has been good for this team. I think a lot of people forget that kick and punt return TDs are relatively rare and even the best in the league struggle to do it more than 5 times a year.

Prove that statement.

As for his returning, we could absolutely do better. Hell we did do better. And we have plenty of options to choose from.

He literally has no use for this team anymore.
Reply/Quote
Tate is decent, but makes a few boneheaded returns every year. A few times each year we end up with it behind the 10 on a KR or we get it within the 10 on a PR which is completely unacceptable.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 01:24 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Because it's Tate.

If the light came on for McCalebb and he suddenly turned into a decent DB, then he'd probably be the returner. The Bengals don't like guys who can only return kicks. They want the player to be able to contribute at another position. Guys like Tab Perry, Glenn Holt, and Tate knew how to play WR. Pacman is a good CB and so on.

During the draft back in 06, our 2nd rounder came down to Whit and Devin Hester. The reason they didn't go with Hester is because they didn't know what position they could put him at.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2015, 05:46 AM)OSUfan Wrote: To be a returner you must actually be on the 53 man roster and active on the 46 game day roster.

classic prick response from osuTURD. classic.
Reply/Quote