Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon
Gio Bernard is a player that I feel like has kind of disappeared from discussion on here. Unless we're talking about his contract it seems like he's rarely mentioned. To be fair, I totally agree that his contract is a head-scratcher. Although the reason I feel he is so overpaid isn't necessarily because I feel like he's not good enough, it's just that the production hasn't been there to warrant it. But is that Gio's fault? I don't think so.

Let's take a quick look at his annual totals in: Rushing Yards, Rushing TD's, Rushing Attempts, YPC, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TD's:

Rushing Yards - 695, 680, 730, 337, 458, 211, 170

Rushing TD's - 5, 5, 2, 2, 2, 3, 0

Rushing Attempts - 170, 168, 154, 91, 105, 56, 53

YPC: 4.1, 4.0, 4.7, 3.7, 4.4, 3.8, 3.2

Receptions - 56, 43, 49, 39, 43, 35, 30

Receiving Yards - 514, 349, 472, 336, 389, 218, 234

Receiving TD's - 3, 2, 0, 1, 2, 0, 0

Do you notice a trend here? His usage starting going way down after his 3rd season, and pretty much all of his numbers continued to decrease each and every year. It's as if the man peaked at the age of 23. Why is that? What happened?

Somewhere along the way it's as if Marvin and Co. forgot how to use him. And somehow Zach Taylor continued with this usage. They started using him less, and what time he did see it seemed to be more in a traditional role, taking handoffs in the backfield. For the life of me I can't not figure out why they abandoned him being a specialty back.

You might think he's gotten old. He's not. He's only 28. You might think he's got to much tread on the tires. He doesn't, he's only got 797 career carries (Mixon has 693). You might think he's a liability on the 3rd downs due to his small size. He's not, he's an excellent blocker.

IMHO, there are very few backs with the skillset of Gio Bernard. He needs to used appropiately though, and not just like every other 3rd down change of pace back. Think of a guy like Darren Sproles, or Austin Eckler. The Bengals have to find a way to get this dude involved. Hell, run a split backfield occassionally if you need to.

I'll be very curious to see if Taylor and Co. can improve on this in 2020 (if there is a season). Because I think the last two years especially are almost unforgivable. You can't let a talent like this rot on the bench producing 400 yards total. It's a waste. I really feel like if Gio landed in the right system he could be so, so much more than he is.

Don't sleep on this guy making a big difference. Curious to hear what you guys think of him and his situation. It's an odd one.
Reply/Quote
Love Gio. However, I think after the hit vs. steelers in 2015 playoff game, he was a step behind after that (kinda like a batter getting hit for the first time in the box, then being too cautious after). Then again, he has came back to full speed after a year of shyness. I agree with you. This dude is underutilized. In 2017, IIRC, Hill was injured and Gio stepped up, he was kinda magical. Gio is not your typical backup. This dude get's yards and fights and has good ball control. In addition, his character and ethic is nothing short of great. Would love to see this dude split the backfield occasionally.

I'm pretty amazed when watching the Patriots how they utilize all their backs. Their is no stud in that backfield, each week it seems there's a different focus point back there. How do you plan against that? Brilliant!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Underutilized for how much money he’s costin.. After paying him I thought we would see more of him.... nope!

Joe’s main claim to fame is distribution to all weapons, not honing in on one or two. We will really need that this year. Gio fits the Edwards Helaire skill set so Joe will find value in him. It’s up to the coaches to make it a possibility.
Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP, somewhat. When Gio was forced into the featured back role, it became quickly evident that he could not physically stand up to the pounding, and repeatedly got dinged up. Once he became healthy, Marvin and Co. sort of "pigeonholed" him into the 3rd down/change of pace back role. He remains a very stout pass blocking back, as well as an explosive outlet receiver or surprise hand off back.

I truly believe that his limited role was enacted to prolong his healthy days, as he is such an outstanding pass blocker and emergency outlet receiver. I'd like to see him get more use than simply as a pass blocker, perhaps Coach Taylor and Co. can find a way to get him at least 200 touches this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like Gio but he ain't no James Brooks. Bengals over paid him based on last contract vs production. Gio hasn't been the same since Shazier cheap shotted him. Can one of you stat guys check Bernards production from the Shazier cheap shot to present ?
Reply/Quote
I think it really starts with the revolving door at OC since Gio has been here .Hue, Zampese,
Lazor, now ZT/CALLAHAN. was Gruden the OC his rookie year I'm not sure.

Every OC has a different way to ultilize his #2 RB. I just know every OC after
Hue has been a real dunce . Maybe part of the problem was after Whit left the
Bengals pass protection was so porous up front they had to use Gio on 3rd down
More to pass protect than actually catching passes

What I haven't liked of late is everytime Gio has come into the offense in the
Last couple years it has either been to give the #1 back a breather or
On 3rd and long Gio gets the rock on delay draw to give the punter more room
To hit a good punt. It was so predicable with Gio. They even stopped using him on screen
passes. I remember a few years back he took one 80 yds vs the Browns and competely
Took the wind out of the Browns defense

I think he still has alot lwft in his legs.
Reply/Quote
Gio has been heavily underutilized as of late. Theres no reason he cant be an 800+ all purpose yard number 2 back. I was always a big sproles fan and felt like Gio could be that for us.
Reply/Quote
I think it's important to consider that if you want Mixon here long term (4 or more years) that it would be beneficial for Gio to become more involved. While Mixon doesn't have a ton of carries thus far I still think you want to limit them a tad. It's no coincedence that Mixon posted a career high in carries at 278 this year when Bernard posted a career low. I think they could ease Mixon's workload a bit, while hopefully seeing the same production stat wise (increased YPC). I'd rather have Mixon post 1,100 high 4's YPC seasons than 1,500 300 plus carry seasons.

Personally, I'd like to see Mixon at about 250, and Gio at about 100. And I like to see both of them combine for about 100 receptions. Those numbers are just estimates but I think they show a nice balance, with an increase in the RB's used in the passing game.

IMHO you can't have limited production from TE position AND from the RB position in the pass game. If you're tight ends are below average in usage, and you RB's are below average in usage then I think that spells a problems in the modern game. We have to find a way to get one or other, or preferably both, more invlolved in the offense.

You can't just limit Gio to running draw plays on 3rd and long, and occassionally spelling Mixon just to run in between the tackles. And he can't be used in the receiving game as only an emergency checkdown. He needs the ball in space. Create some plays for him. Let's open up this offsense a bit and really put a lot of pressure on the D guessing where we're going with the ball.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 07:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Love Gio. However, I think after the hit vs. steelers in 2015 playoff game, he was a step behind after that (kinda like a batter getting hit for the first time in the box, then being too cautious after). Then again, he has came back to full speed after a year of shyness. I agree with you. This dude is underutilized. In 2017, IIRC, Hill was injured and Gio stepped up, he was kinda magical. Gio is not your typical backup. This dude get's yards and fights and has good ball control. In addition, his character and ethic is nothing short of great. Would love to see this dude split the backfield occasionally.

I'm pretty amazed when watching the Patriots how they utilize all their backs. Their is no stud in that backfield, each week it seems there's a different focus point back there. How do you plan against that? Brilliant!

I think that was 2018 with Mixon injured and Gio filling in nicely. It was fairly early in the season when we were still competitive... Mixon jumped on AJ in the end zone on that game winner in Atlanta... He was in street clothes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:37 PM)John Shaft Wrote: I like Gio but he ain't no James Brooks. Bengals over paid him based on last contract vs production. Gio hasn't been the same since Shazier cheap shotted him. Can one of you stat guys check Bernards production from the Shazier cheap shot to present ?

You can do that yourself, quite easily.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:37 PM)John Shaft Wrote: I like Gio but he ain't no James Brooks. Bengals over paid him based on last contract vs production. Gio hasn't been the same since Shazier cheap shotted him. Can one of you stat guys check Bernards production from the Shazier cheap shot to present ?

It's right there in the OP. He was a rookie in 2013, so the first number on each line is that season. The 4th number on each line is after that hit in the playoffs.

I don't think that hit had anything to do with it personally. I chalk it up to Zampese, Lazor, and Zac.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
When did Gio get his new contract last year? Was it before or after Anderson went down in the preseason game for the rest of the season? Also what's the hit if the Bengals drop him this year? I know we also have Traveyon waiting in the wings but I wonder if they just wanted to get Gio locked down for the 2020 as a solid/reliable backup to Mixon incase something happened.

Regardless of the above he has definitely been underutilized, hopefully with Zac's offensive background they'll be a lot more creativity and comfort with bringing different looks on offense, i.e. more usage of Gio.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 07:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Gio Bernard is a player that I feel like has kind of disappeared from discussion on here.  Unless we're talking about his contract it seems like he's rarely mentioned.  To be fair, I totally agree that his contract is a head-scratcher.  Although the reason I feel he is so overpaid isn't necessarily because I feel like he's not good enough, it's just that the production hasn't been there to warrant it.  But is that Gio's fault?  I don't think so.

Let's take a quick look at his annual totals in: Rushing Yards, Rushing TD's, Rushing Attempts, YPC, Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving TD's:

Rushing Yards - 695, 680, 730, 337, 458, 211, 170

Rushing TD's - 5, 5, 2, 2, 2, 3, 0

Rushing Attempts - 170, 168, 154, 91, 105, 56, 53

YPC: 4.1, 4.0, 4.7, 3.7, 4.4, 3.8, 3.2

Receptions - 56, 43, 49, 39, 43, 35, 30

Receiving Yards - 514, 349, 472, 336, 389, 218, 234

Receiving TD's - 3, 2, 0, 1, 2, 0, 0

Do you notice a trend here?  His usage starting going way down after his 3rd season, and pretty much all of his numbers continued to decrease each and every year.  It's as if the man peaked at the age of 23.  Why is that?  What happened?

Somewhere along the way it's as if Marvin and Co. forgot how to use him.  And somehow Zach Taylor continued with this usage.  They started using him less, and what time he did see it seemed to be more in a traditional role, taking handoffs in the backfield.  For the life of me I can't not figure out why they abandoned him being a specialty back.

You might think he's gotten old.  He's not. He's only 28.  You might think he's got to much tread on the tires.  He doesn't, he's only got 797 career carries (Mixon has 693).  You might think he's a liability on the 3rd downs due to his small size.  He's not, he's an excellent blocker.

IMHO, there are very few backs with the skillset of Gio Bernard.  He needs to used appropiately though, and not just like every other 3rd down change of pace back.  Think of a guy like Darren Sproles, or Austin Eckler.  The Bengals have to find a way to get this dude involved.  Hell, run a split backfield occassionally if you need to.

I'll be very curious to see if Taylor and Co. can improve on this in 2020 (if there is a season).  Because I think the last two years especially are almost unforgivable.  You can't let a talent like this rot on the bench producing 400 yards total.  It's a waste.  I really feel like if Gio landed in the right system he could be so, so much more than he is.

Don't sleep on this guy making a big difference.  Curious to hear what you guys think of him and his situation.  It's an odd one.

Love the guy, and I know the team loves him "in the locker room", but Gio has not seemed to have his "suddenness" in the field since the injury in 2015.   I don't know if it is still in his head, or what, as his body doesn't seem as though he has been through the ringer in terms of cumulative breakdowns.  

I really thought ZT's offense would be ideal for Gio, and maybe more 5 man protections where the RB is in a pattern will suit him even better, but they didn't turn to him last year when the rushing attack was struggling and they also didn't get him more involved when the receivers were largely injured or underperforming so I don't know how many opportunities the guy will get in this offense.  I would love to see a resurgence of Gio, but I am skeptical it will happen.  
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 09:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think it's important to consider that if you want Mixon here long term (4 or more years) that it would be beneficial for Gio to become more involved.  While Mixon doesn't have a ton of carries thus far I still think you want to limit them a tad.  It's no coincedence that Mixon posted a career high in carries at 278 this year when Bernard posted a career low.  I think they could ease Mixon's workload a bit, while hopefully seeing the same production stat wise (increased YPC).  I'd rather have Mixon post 1,100 high 4's YPC seasons than 1,500 300 plus carry seasons.

Personally, I'd like to see Mixon at about 250, and Gio at about 100.  And I like to see both of them combine for about 100 receptions.  Those numbers are just estimates but I think they show a nice balance, with an increase in the RB's used in the passing game.

IMHO you can't have limited production from TE position AND from the RB position in the pass game.  If you're tight ends are below average in usage, and you RB's are below average in usage then I think that spells a problems in the modern game.  We have to find a way to get one or other, or preferably both, more invlolved in the offense.

You can't just limit Gio to running draw plays on 3rd and long, and occassionally spelling Mixon just to run in between the tackles.  And he can't be used in the receiving game as only an emergency checkdown.  He needs the ball in space.  Create some plays for him.  Let's open up this offsense a bit and really put a lot of pressure on the D guessing where we're going with the ball.

While reading this, I started trying to think of this from a Bengals perspective:  Utilize Gio more, and you not only potentially extend Mixon's health, but with fewer touches Mixon's next contract might not be what it would have been if he played 16 games how he finished the last 8 of last year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 02:42 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: When did Gio get his new contract last year? 

The Rams 2018 offense was actually based more on the run than the pass.  They were 8th in rush attempts and only 14th in pass attempts.  But Gurly wore down late in the season and in the playoffs.  He missed the final two games of the regular season and in the NFC Championship game and Super Bowl he only had a total of 14 carries.

So Zac comes here where he has another great RB in Mixon, but Mixon had never been able to stay healthy and play a full 16 game season.

That is when Bernard got his big contract.  I honestly believe that Taylor meant to use Bernard more, but after the first two games where Gio had 13 carries it seemed like we were behind so much that there were just not a lot of rushing attempts.

I was surprised to see that Bernard played 42% of the offensive snaps last year.  It seemed like he disappeared over the last half of the season, but he was playing quite a few snaps to give Mixon a break.  He just was not getting a lot of touches.

2019 totals.  Instead of "touches" (receptions + carries) I am using (targets + carries) to show how much they were used.  And I am not counting any special team snaps.

Bernard...443 snaps...  96 use
Mixon......653 snaps... 323 use
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 08:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Rams 2018 offense was actually based more on the run than the pass.  They were 8th in rush attempts and only 14th in pass attempts.  But Gurly wore down late in the season and in the playoffs.  He missed the final two games of the regular season and in the NFC Championship game and Super Bowl he only had a total of 14 carries.

So Zac comes here where he has another great RB in Mixon, but Mixon had never been able to stay healthy and play a full 16 game season.

That is when Bernard got his big contract.  I honestly believe that Taylor meant to use Bernard more, but after the first two games where Gio had 13 carries it seemed like we were behind so much that there were just not a lot of rushing attempts.

I was surprised to see that Bernard played 42% of the offensive snaps last year.  It seemed like he disappeared over the last half of the season, but he was playing quite a few snaps to give Mixon a break.  He just was not getting a lot of touches.

2019 totals.  Instead of "touches" (receptions + carries) I am using (targets + carries) to show how much they were used.  And I am not counting any special team snaps.

Bernard...443 snaps...  96 use
Mixon......653 snaps... 323 use

It was also hard to warrant the carries last year when both running backs got stonewalled behind the line a majority of the time.

People complained about Marvin for sticking with the run too long and Zac did the opposite by throwing. It wasn’t working and we went away from it... they fixed it in the 2nd half of the season, but I’d have to assume the 1st half of the year weighed the carries down a bit as well.

Both backs probabaly would have been used more in the passing game as well, but they had to stay in to block to keep The QB upright.

I guess what I’m getting at is that the O-line woes detracted from how both Mixon and Gio were used last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 10:16 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Both backs probabaly would have been used more in the passing game as well, but they had to stay in to block to keep The QB upright.

I guess what I’m getting at is that the O-line woes detracted from how both Mixon and Gio were used last year.

This.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 10:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You can do that yourself, quite easily.

And they clearly declined after 2015 - but so did his # of carries.   So hard to correlate.    The eyeball seems to indicate he's not as aggressive a runner since the hit, but honestly that could be nothing.

My big hope is that Taylor was under-utilizing certain parts of our team to see what we had with no concern as to the final record.

If that is not the case I'm disappointed with the limited use of the running backs and the tight end.

I'm not a betting man, but I believe we'll see a dramatic increase in Gio's carries.   Burrow certainly knows how to use his backs, and with Gio's proficiency in blitz pickups he's be a really nice modular piece in this offense.   The low # of carries and his young age, and the Bengals' willingness to pay him make me optimistic.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2020, 02:28 PM)3wt Wrote: And they clearly declined after 2015 - but so did his # of carries.   So hard to correlate.    The eyeball seems to indicate he's not as aggressive a runner since the hit, but honestly that could be nothing.

My big hope is that Taylor was under-utilizing certain parts of our team to see what we had with no concern as to the final record.

If that is not the case I'm disappointed with the limited use of the running backs and the tight end.

I'm not a betting man, but I believe we'll see a dramatic increase in Gio's carries.   Burrow certainly knows how to use his backs, and with Gio's proficiency in blitz pickups he's be a really nice modular piece in this offense.   The low # of carries and his young age, and the Bengals' willingness to pay him make me optimistic.

Part of that discrepancy could be attributed to poor pass protection.  Traditionally, the best executed screen passes took a few seconds to set up, and properly develop;  As in the OL selling the play as a run or 7 step drop protection, and then peeling off to get out in front of the RB.  As bad as the OL had been, since 2016 and forward, it seems like they completely geared to offense to getting the ball out of Andy's hand as quickly as possible. 

Perhaps, if the OL can take that step forward, like they looked like they were doing on the back stretch of last season, running a more complete playbook just might be viable option. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The combination of terrible OCs and awful OLs hasn't allowed Gio to shine along with Mixon. If he wasn't back pass blocking, he was running up the middle. Even a couple or so years ago when they were down to Boyd and no one else at receiver, they still refused to use him to help out in a receiving role as a hybrid slot/h-back.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote