Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio Bernard - The Forgotten Weapon
I understand that Gio is better blocker than Mixon and can catch passes as well which is why he is in on passing 3rd downs. He's versatile and arguably fits the scheme we're going for pretty well but as far as pure RBs go, I think he isn't what he once was.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Gio, but he's an undersized RB who isn't very fast and doesn't make anyone miss.
Reply/Quote
Gio is entering his 8th season, which for a RB is past the usual life span for that position.

He might get more yards this year if the offense can stay on the field longer, but it will be Mixon who is the workhorse. Mixon is a good receiver and really shouldn't come off the field on 3rd down unless he's getting winded.

If Mixon misses time Gio will get a shot or maybe that will go to one of the younger guys. Who really knows with Taylor calling the plays.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2020, 08:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with the OP, somewhat.  When Gio was forced into the featured back role, it became quickly evident that he could not physically stand up to the pounding, and repeatedly got dinged up.  Once he became healthy, Marvin and Co. sort of "pigeonholed" him into the 3rd down/change of pace back role.  He remains a very stout pass blocking back, as well as an explosive outlet receiver or surprise hand off back.  

I truly believe that his limited role was enacted to prolong his healthy days, as he is such an outstanding pass blocker and emergency outlet receiver.  I'd like to see him get more use than simply as a pass blocker, perhaps Coach Taylor and Co. can find a way to get him at least 200 touches this season.

Well said Sunset. Wes is right that Gio is often forgotten but the one thing he does bring to the table is the ability to pick up the
blitz which is one of the most underrated abilities in RB's. One thing about Darren Sproles that not many people mentioned about
him was that he was phenomenal at picking up the blitz. Interestingly enough Sproles is a RB I compare Gio to, not as dynamic 
as a Returner and Gio is bigger obviously but they have/had similar styles in their game.

In the end though I think injuries and just getting hit have taken a toll on Gio. He just hasn't looked the same since 2015.

Surprised we paid him as much as we did as yes I think he is overpaid.
Reply/Quote
And... he's still basically forgotten.

He had the best play of the entire game yesterday, when he took a screen 42 yards.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/go-gio-go-bernard-bursts-for-42-yards-to-pick-up-third-and-long

This is a perfect example of what he can offer, that Joe Mixon cannot. He is a unique talent, that does extremely well in space.

He only had two other touches the entire game. That almost seems unforgiveable.

He's only seen two carries the entire year. TWO. He's only touched the ball a total of 14 times through 3 games! (3.5 times a game)

What gives? You'd think when you having trouble protecting your QB that a RB who can pick up the blitz would mean an increase is reps. You'd think when you have such little time to throw the ball that you run more plays like the one above.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how this team under utilizes Gio Bernard. And it's not just Zac Taylor, he's been underused for the last 3 seasons.

Why draft a guy in the 2nd round, and then later pay him a healthy salary to never use him? It makes no sense.
Reply/Quote