Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teryl Austin
A lot of our focus has been on the offense but here is a nice look at new DC Teryl Austin and how he works

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/30001/eight-hours-inside-rookie-camp-with-new-defensive-coordinator-teryl-austin

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I liked the part about getting Lawson and Willis more involved this year.
Also, I'm excited to see how Bates and even Josh Shaw will be used this year with the extra DB likely in favor of a LB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like he's earning respect from the players. This is good.

Reply/Quote
Just got finished reading that article, and was going to post a thread on it. Cool

Some good insight into Coach Austin, both as a man and as a coach. As an instructor, he seems to really know the value of time and attention span, as well as when it's time to change the way he's presenting a message. To me, that is a great thing, shows that his ego isn't bigger than the goals he's trying to accomplish. Too many times is seems the opposite happens in life.

Obviously, it's much too early to tell how Coach Austin's defense will perform this year. But, from what I'm reading about him, he seems like a fine man for the job.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I LOVE IT!

This, I especially love

Quote:Toward the end of the meeting, one coach comments that Willis should've gotten on the field more in 2017. Austin later notes he feels the same way about Lawson, who had 8.5 sacks despite taking less than half the defensive snaps.

because we all know how Marvin is hesitant to play young players (even if he has gotten better at it) and Austin wants to put the best players on the field, but he also wants to do it situationally and have different looks to throw at offenses:

Quote:"They say he's unpredictable, and that's a good thing as a defensive coordinator. You don't always want to do the same thing," new linebacker Preston Brown said. "It might be the same thing, but it's a different look. He's big on looks and showing different things with the safeties and linebackers, so it should be fun. He'll line guys up all over the field. You might say (you're a) Mike, but you might not be in a Mike position."

In the past-first world of the NFL, you need to keep the offenses guessing, and that's especially true for us because we can't let Big Ben sit back and get into a rhythm.

I also love this

Quote:Kirkpatrick, who has gotten to know Austin over the spring, said last month that he already loved Austin's style and felt that he was going to figure out a way to make players "think less" on the field. Kirkpatrick stopped by rookie camp to watch practice, perhaps to get a feel for how Austin ticks.

because we have talent, so let the defense just go out and make plays instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, which designing the defense to let our guys do their thing is exactly what it sounds like he's doing:

Quote:Every defense has its own style, and Austin's will develop in time. Even though NFL offenses now rely on the passing game more than the run, Austin still believes in stopping the run first. And while Austin likes to show different looks, he also will tailor his scheme around the abilities of his players, instead of the other way around.

I also love that because, on top of getting to Ben, we also need to stop Bell.

It's going to be a BIG year in The Jungle!
Reply/Quote
As long as Austin puts a stop to our monstrous overuse of soft zone coverages and gets back to our secondary playing press man coverage things will improve.
Reply/Quote
As fans in this forum we probably over analyze the play calling of the OC, yet barely mention the DC play calling. I hate soft coverage, I hate prevent defenses. I want an attacking play calling mentality from all angles. Yes, we will get burnt at times, but I believe we will also create a lot more turnovers and stopping long drives which keep our offense off the field.

I hope he turns our defensive stars loose to go after the RB and QB
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think we all seen the signs of our weakening defense over the last few years. 3 point lead? Let’s play prevent. I really hate soft defenses. Attack all four quarters. Hope these guys can be reprogrammed to change the way they play.

Reply/Quote
Working a 12+ hr day.. with due respect, no thanks.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 11:17 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Working a 12+ hr day.. with due respect, no thanks.

12 hours was typically a short day for me till my legs gave up on me. Often it was 15-18 hour days with a few 24 hour workdays and even 48 hours once when everyone else quit within 2 days..  Fun times..  Sad I didn't work at a desk.. I would have fallen asleep by 9 hours.. LOL.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 01:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: 12 hours was typically a short day for me till my legs gave up on me. Often it was 15-18 hour days with a few 24 hour workdays and even 48 hours once when everyone else quit within 2 days..  Fun times..  Sad I didn't work at a desk.. I would have fallen asleep by 9 hours.. LOL.. 

Yeah, and you walked up hill in 6ft of snow to school both ways.

J/K, I've pulled quite a few 24hr shifts in my time and they aint for the weak of heart. Specially in the Army. That was batshit crazy.

Reply/Quote
Guenther had the testicles of a knat when it came to attacking on defense.
just lazy on the front office part when you hire from within like that
3rd and 8 and was pitch and catch for the offense vs the Bengals defense under Guenther.
why Gruden hired him is beyond me.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Guenther had the testicles of a knat when it came to attacking on defense.
3rd and 8 and was pitch and catch for the offense vs the Bengals defense under Guenther.

Don’t think Gruden lives up to the hype.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 09:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we all seen the signs of our weakening defense over the last few years. 3 point lead? Let’s play prevent. I really hate soft defenses. Attack all four quarters. Hope these guys can be reprogrammed to change the way they play.

very much agree..very much..and I think that changes with Austin
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:17 PM)pally Wrote: A lot of our focus has been on the offense but here is a nice look at new DC Teryl Austin and how he works

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/30001/eight-hours-inside-rookie-camp-with-new-defensive-coordinator-teryl-austin

Sounds like a real hard worker and very smart. I like how he wants to stop the run first, i just hope we start
playing much more aggressive man to man instead of that soft zone shit Paulie was running way too much of.

Makes me feel a lot better about Austin who was the bigger question of the Coordinators to me.

Great stuff, we have so much talent on Defense for Austin to work with and as bad as the Offense was last
year i was still disappointed with the Defense. Austin sounds like a nice change.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Guenther had the testicles of a knat when it came to attacking on defense.

Guenther's problem is he didn't care about yards as long as they gave up field goals and not TD's.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

He Had Zimmers Approval... and Zim tried to take him with him... 

So who knows... But year...   Gruden is laughing with a 10 year gaurenteed contract   He can do what he wants.
Reply/Quote