Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Gio > Mixon ?
Gio

Keeps the defense honest are we running or passing?

Better blocker

However can't run 25-30 times a game

Mixon

Elite runner with a competent O-Line   (which we don't have)

Not a good blocker

Rarely used like Gio

Thoughts?  Was Mixon an overpay?  I say yes personally but would love to see other thoughts
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
No and I don't see it as close.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
lol
Reply/Quote
Might have been a slight overpay, but I disagree Gio is better. At least not as a pure runner.

People have short memories. Mixon had a 181 yds (from scrimmage) and 3 TD game just a few weeks ago.

Reply/Quote
I knew this would be questionable...

However Gio as the lead back was 1 deep ball away from us being 2-0 as the lead back vs Mixon this season

Perhaps he fits this team better than Mixon who is super predictable. With Gio are we running or passing? His blocking is superior.

Also for the $$$ maybe Gio provides better value than the overpay that Mixon provides us.
Reply/Quote
They are both worth using. We should use them 50/50 based on formation and game situation, etc. It's a good problem to have 2 great running backs.
Reply/Quote
I think they both have a place in the O. I've always thought, in the big picture, Gio has been underutilized.

Having said that I have doubts Gio can carry the load ? We need Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:48 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: They are both worth using. We should use them 50/50 based on formation and game situation, etc. It's a good problem to have 2 great running backs.

Yea sure if they used both.   They only use Gio for blocking if Mixon plays. 

Which is my whole point. With Gio the play calling isn't as predictive as it is with Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Gio is clearly the better overall running back. Blocks better, fits through smaller holes, capable of breaking out big plays, faster.

One thing Mixon is better at is dancing and not taking yards for loss this year.

Those of you who don't even think it's close, you have this thought in your head, when Mixon plays bad it's the offensive line's fault, and when Mixon plays well, (few and far between) - it's not because the line played well.

An average running back can run through holes, the star running back should figure it out.

Anyway I have a big problem with Mixon's blocking, not able to protect our most valuable asset for the future (not himself - our QB). Mixon will be long gone while Burrow is still excelling.
Reply/Quote
I personally think they just need to use Mixon more like how they use Gio.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I personally think they just need to use Mixon more like how they use Gio.

Agreed which is what I pointed out.... however they don't. 

Which makes Gio more valuable to this offense IMO
Reply/Quote
Gio is never going to be talked about in the same conversation as the Henry’s, Zeke’s, or Chubb’s of the league. Mixon at his best is much closer to those guys.

Reply/Quote
I’d rather have Gio + RT/interior O-line upgrade than what they’re paying Mixon. RB’s are too much of an injury risk to pay them the salary Mixon is getting. Better to pay for a better line that protects Burrow and allows the offense to develop. Paying a RB with a shitty line is like buying a Ferrari, putting dry rotted, used tires on it, and never changing the oil.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think they both have a place in the O. I've always thought, in the big picture, Gio has been underutilized.

Having said that I have doubts Gio can carry the load ? We need Mixon.

I agree. Honestly I think those 2 are a perfect combo if they are used right. Gio needs some more touches for sure, and Mixon is the bell cow. Gio is a utility do-it-all RB and maybe the best in the league for that. ZT is starting to see it. A really proper mix between Gio and Mixon is a lethal combo to compliment Burrow and our amazing WR's. If the OL keeps improving at run blocking this offense is crazy good.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:40 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Gio

Keeps the defense honest are we running or passing?

Better blocker

However can't run 25-30 times a game

Mixon

Elite runner with a competent O-Line   (which we don't have)

Not a good blocker

Rarely used like Gio

Thoughts?  Was Mixon an overpay?  I say yes personally but would love to see other thoughts

[Image: e1feea2df73447797ac9ebf37b09848a.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Do people honestly believe Gio could be a #1 on a good team?

There’s only about 7-8 teams Mixon wouldn’t be the starter on.

Reply/Quote
Gio and Mixon. Belicheat called one of them the best running back in the game right now. Guess which?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:55 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: I’d rather have Gio + RT/interior O-line than what they’re paying Mixon.  RB’s are too much of an injury risk to pay them the salary Mixon is getting.  Better to pay for a better line.

100%, and it gives Burrow the line he needs. Gio is far better than an average RB, he would be a pro bowler behind a consistently good line. Overpaying Mixon makes no sense with the inconsistent line that he yields 3.3 yards a carry. Hopefully this improves in the future, maybe they expected him to run behind that line, and he's not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 11:51 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Yea sure if they used both.   They only use Gio for blocking if Mixon plays. 

Which is my whole point. With Gio the play calling isn't as predictive as it is with Mixon.

That's a good point. I like the quick passing game with Gio. Maybe they need to use Gio as a runner and pass catcher more when he's in there (out of those shotgun formations). Mixon should be in whenever we use larger packages for sure. 

(11-01-2020, 11:52 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I personally think they just need to use Mixon more like how they use Gio.

Great point.
Reply/Quote