Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension
(09-03-2019, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: LOL

What else are we going to do? Pass a lot behind that awesome o-line?

I suspect we will fail a lot. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always been a huge Gio fan, but this seems like a lot of money for a guy who is not even our feature back.

Maybe this means Gio will be getting a lot more touches than any of us suspect.

He always seemed a good fit for Zac's likely offense but I wonder if this was the plan before the Anderson and Trayveon Williams injuries?
Reply/Quote
This team will overpay for a backup RB and the POS RT no one wanted but they would not do so for any good FA.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 01:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That per year figure puts him just slightly outside the list of Top 10 RB's in yearly dollars. (The #10 back makes $6.2 million a year.)

But wait, you said MB was cheap????????????
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:51 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: This team will overpay for a backup RB and the POS RT no one wanted but they would not do so for any good FA.

Ummm..

It's as if the big John Jerry deal never happened. Doesn't fit the narrative, I guess...
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: The patriots pay Rex Burkhead 3.25 a year to do that and take an occasional carry. I'd say Gio is substantially better than Burkhead, albeit underutilized. 

Burkhead only played half the season last year. Projected over a whole year, he would have had 634 yards from scrimmage.
Bernard played in 12 games. His total yardage projected over a whole year would have been 572 yards from scrimmage.

So I'd take Burkhead at $3.5 mill over Bernard at $5 mill.

With that said, I'm hoping this extension means he'll be used more than he has the past three years. He needs to get back to 1000+ yards from scrimmage again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:54 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Ummm..

It's as if the big John Jerry deal never happened. Doesn't fit the narrative, I guess...

John Jerry wasn't a big deal. It was less than $1m IIRC?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting Gio factoid.

There are only three active players with at least 3000 rushing yards and 2000 receiving yards since 2013.

Bernard
LeSean McCoy
Le'Veon Bell

That great. How does it look when you break it down per season? 

Is Gio still top 3?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Possibly the Anderson injury prompted this move or just as likely ZT has had a plan for Gio and we will see more of him than we have recently and in more different roles - one thing that was just silly was the insistence of having him run inside like a power back instead of getting him the ball in space.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting Gio factoid.

There are only three active players with at least 3000 rushing yards and 2000 receiving yards since 2013.

Bernard
LeSean McCoy
Le'Veon Bell

That is interesting but there are a good amount of RBs who will hit those marks when they hit 6 years in the league.
Goes to show how many good young RBs there are in the league now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Jerry wasn't a big deal. It was less than $1m IIRC?

That and he's not a good player.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
One wild theory..trent Williams is supposedly ending his holdout. Maybe they really are putting together a trade and needed an extended contract for it to happen

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 03:23 PM)pally Wrote: One wild theory..trent Williams  is supposedly  ending his holdout.   Maybe they really are putting  together  a trade and needed an extended contract for it to happen

I'll say 0% chance we trade for Williams.

They simply aren't going to pay Williams, Williams, Hart, AND Glenn starter money. No way.
Reply/Quote
Zac on extending Gio:

"Gio is a guy we can count on. He's been a dependable, steady back in the league for a long time. He's a great leader for this team, so we feel it's very important to have him around in the years to come."
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 03:23 PM)pally Wrote: One wild theory..trent Williams  is supposedly  ending his holdout.   Maybe they really are putting  together  a trade and needed an extended contract for it to happen

I initially thought the same theory but with Anderson going down, and RB T. Williams as fragile as an antique china,   I think they hold on to Gio. If the Bengals did make a trade for Trent Williams, the Bengals Board would explode.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Hell, I figure Gio and Bobby Hart must have the same agent.  Cool

I was hoping they'd dangle Gio out there for tradebait, but after Anderson ripped up his knee, I guess that ship has sailed.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
If there's a trade that involves Gio for Williams . . . wouldn't it make sense to throw in Glenn with Gio?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Anderson's career is over.

That's what this tells me.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Too much money for the production thus far. That said looks like we'll be seeing a whole lot of him this year, going to need his quickness to evade all the defenders that are destroying our turnstile O-line.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
Congrats Gio, Any increase in production from Gio would be nice, hopefully he has a big year. The offense will need to be alot better this year at extending drives and running more plays to keep their defense fresh and off of the field. That is the big change I hope to see in the offense this season.
[Image: 5Lx1vqY]
Reply/Quote