Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension
SMH this franchise really frustrates me...as ive seen gio decline year to year he now gets a way to high yearly salary/extension. I love gio but was never a huge fan of his from a talent perspective and i wasnt high on him at all coming out of UNC. Hes proven to be a very tough kid and hell of a locker room guy but the last couple year my love for him has been kinda on a robert geathers level. solid teammate...always thought we could do better. and here we are extending him. and why the hell havent we signed Tevon Coney and Matt Khalil. when is this franchise gonna DO something to show effort in fixing our problems....everyone else around us is but of course the bengals. feel bad for dalton epecially in a prove it year.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:14 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: SMH this franchise really frustrates me...as ive seen gio decline year to year he now gets a way to high yearly salary/extension.  I love gio but was never a huge fan of his from a talent perspective and i wasnt high on him at all coming out of UNC.  Hes proven to be a very tough kid and hell of a locker room guy but the last couple year my love for him has been kinda on a robert geathers level.  solid teammate...always thought we could do better.  and here we are extending him.  and why the hell havent we signed Tevon Coney and Matt Khalil.  when is this franchise gonna DO something to show effort in fixing our problems....everyone else around us is but of course the bengals.  feel bad for dalton epecially in a prove it year.

well one thing Vets with 4 years cant be claimed on waivers so they have options....   would be nice to hear we are in talks with someone or working someone out though
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Jerry wasn't a big deal. It was less than $1m IIRC?

Tongue was planted firmly in cheek whilst publishing that post. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:34 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Meh. Money well spent if the 12th President has designs on using him extensively.

Big waste if he's going to be called upon to do what he did the previous two seasons.

Wouldn't you say that the fact that they gave him the extension screams that they do plan on using him extensively?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:14 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: SMH this franchise really frustrates me...as ive seen gio decline year to year he now gets a way to high yearly salary/extension.  I love gio but was never a huge fan of his from a talent perspective and i wasnt high on him at all coming out of UNC.  Hes proven to be a very tough kid and hell of a locker room guy but the last couple year my love for him has been kinda on a robert geathers level.  solid teammate...always thought we could do better.  and here we are extending him.  and why the hell havent we signed Tevon Coney and Matt Khalil.  when is this franchise gonna DO something to show effort in fixing our problems....everyone else around us is but of course the bengals.  feel bad for dalton epecially in a prove it year.

Do you think that the fact that Houston  tossed Khalil aside so quickly and then had to go out and pay through the nose for another LT says something very big about how good he is now?  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
If there's a locker room guy to be overpaid, that guy is Gio.

Everyone is right about what they say about him. We'll soon see if it really means we will use our rb's like the Saints or Eagles of old. The Oline will help determine that.

It'll be interesting to see how this effects other deals. Before they overpaid Gio, you think they'd have used some money on WJIII assuming this is freed up money from not extending AJ.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:31 PM)McC Wrote: Do you think that the fact that Houston  tossed Khalil aside so quickly and then had to go out and pay through the nose for another LT says something very big about how good he is now?  

lol SMH houston has nothing to do with the bengals.. our offensive line is horrid.  worse than houston even before their trade.  Matt Khalil immediatley comes in and plays an eric winston type role for this team which is desperately needed. Or wait u must be happy with John jerry.  u also must have been cozy under a rock somewhere during the preseason games in which jerry played tackle.  they didnt just throw him aside. they saved 5.5 mil in doing while also agressively trading for a franchise left tackle. Khalil had ran his course there and wasnt in the future plans not cuz hes trash just not good enough for what they wanna do right now. Khalil is a former all pro and is perfect for what the bengals NEED. one teams trash is another teams treasure.
Reply/Quote
Seems like Gio's character is respected by the coaching staff.

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Congrats Gio.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:39 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: lol SMH houston has nothing to do with the bengals.. our offensive line is horrid.  worse than houston even before their trade.  Matt Khalil immediatley comes in and plays an eric winston type role for this team which is desperately needed. Or wait u must be happy with John jerry.  u also must have been cozy under a rock somewhere during the preseason games in which jerry played tackle.  they didnt just throw him aside.  they saved 5.5 mil in doing while also agressively trading for a franchise left tackle.  Khalil had ran his course there and wasnt in the future plans not cuz hes trash just not good enough for what they wanna do right now.  Khalil is a former all pro and is perfect for what the bengals NEED.  one teams trash is another teams treasure.
They saved 5.5 mil?  They signed him for 7.5 mil.  So, what they actually did was throw away 2 mil.

He missed 18 games the last three years.  He also has a foot injury right now.

Did I say I was happy with Jerry?  Show me where I said that.

Khalil ran his course there before the season even started?  Oh yes, we must grab him immediately. 

Who cares if he was a former all pro if he can't play now?  If he could hold down the position and he was already there, why isn't he still there along with their next two first round picks?

How does signing Khalil make the line better?  Answer--not even a little bit.

Reply/Quote
If he’s getting 5 a year what is mixon gonna get when it’s his time
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:57 PM)McC Wrote: They saved 5.5 mil?  They signed him for 7.5 mil.  So, what they actually did was throw away 2 mil.

He missed 18 games the last three years.  He also has a foot injury right now.

Did I say I was happy with Jerry?  Show me where I said that.

Khalil ran his course there before the season even started?  Oh yes, we must grab him immediately. 

Who cares if he was a former all pro if he can't play now?  If he could hold down the position and he was already there, why isn't he still there along with their next two first round picks?

How does signing Khalil make the line better?  Answer--not even a little bit.

bottom line he is better than any tackle we are sending out there against seattle. Our starting Tackles are bobby hart and andre smith...Khalil is better then both. thats how he makes our line better. and we need depth at tackle and hes probably the best tackle in FA.  His foot was stepped on its hardly a long term injury.  thats why hes sat out a small portion of the offseason and was back practicing as of august 26th.  And most importantly hes light years better than jerry so yes we should sign him immediately. for the same reasons we signed winston years ago,  thanks for playing.
Reply/Quote
not excited about this, in this day and age RBS are a dime a dozen and looked at as expendable

Don't get me wrong Gio is a high character guy and great fro the locker room just not sure how much tread is left on his tires

Id rather save the money and invest in the O-Line and LBers
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:15 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: bottom line he is better than any tackle we are sending out there against seattle.  Our starting Tackles are bobby hart and andre smith...Khalil is better then both.  thats how he makes our line better. and we need depth at tackle and hes probably the best tackle in FA.  His foot was stepped on its hardly a long term injury.  thats why hes sat out a small portion of the offseason and was back practicing as of august 26th.  And most importantly hes light years better than jerry so yes we should sign him immediately. for the same reasons we signed winston years ago,  thanks for playing.

Is he really?  That's probably pretty debatable.  And he doesn't know the system and he may or may not have a bad foot.

Sure, sign him as a backup.  I'm okay with that.  I never said one word of praise about John Jerry, so by all means, replace him.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:15 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: bottom line he is better than any tackle we are sending out there against seattle.  Our starting Tackles are bobby hart and andre smith...Khalil is better then both. 

I am not sure this is true.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:15 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: bottom line he is better than any tackle we are sending out there against seattle.  Our starting Tackles are bobby hart and andre smith...Khalil is better then both.  thats how he makes our line better. and we need depth at tackle and hes probably the best tackle in FA.  His foot was stepped on its hardly a long term injury.  thats why hes sat out a small portion of the offseason and was back practicing as of august 26th.  And most importantly hes light years better than jerry so yes we should sign him immediately. for the same reasons we signed winston years ago,  thanks for playing.

Khalil was better that both when he was in his prime...   He might not be up to it anymore.
Reply/Quote
This is simply way to much money for Gio.Does not make since,unless of course,there is a particular use for Gio we haven’t seen yet.Who knows what ZT might have up his sleeve.
Reply/Quote
What this tells me is that if I still played fantasy football I'd want Gio on my team. ZT's planning on using him. Expect to see both Mixon and Gio on the field at the same time more often.

I'm not sure we've seen a decline in Gio the last few years so much as we've seen a decline in his proper use. In his two starts last year he averaged 4.8 ypc. There were a whole bunch of games where he had less than 3 carries, though.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 06:25 PM)NKURyan Wrote: What this tells me is that if I still played fantasy football I'd want Gio on my team. ZT's planning on using him. Expect to see both Mixon and Gio on the field at the same time more often.

I'm not sure we've seen a decline in Gio the last few years so much as we've seen a decline in his proper use. In his two starts last year he averaged 4.8 ypc. There were a whole bunch of games where he had less than 3 carries, though.

The thing is, I don't know that Gio can handle the volume. He gets hurt A LOT.
Reply/Quote