Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension
(09-03-2019, 07:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The thing is, I don't know that Gio can handle the volume. He gets hurt A LOT.

He has missed a total of 4 games over the last two years.

He has played all 16 games in 3 of his six seasons (Something Mixon has never done once)
Reply/Quote
This is proof someone is the FO spends time on this board. They overrated Gio as much as people here do...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 07:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has missed a total of 4 games over the last two years.

He has played all 16 games in 3 of his six seasons (Something Mixon has never done once)

I wonder if the Bengals will give Mixon a deal similar to what Elliott lands? Could get interesting.
Reply/Quote
Good signing by the Bengals. Sometimes you pay for more than just performance on the field
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Gio is simply not that good. He goes down way too easily.

I’m a fan of the current coaching group, but this was a mistake. Gio is probably the most overrated player on this team. I was hoping Taylor and company would see that.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 07:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if the Bengals will give Mixon a deal similar to what Elliott lands? Could get interesting.

On one hand, I say no running back is ever going to live up to such a large contract, so let 'em walk and grab one early in the draft.

On the other hand, it's not like the Bengals are going to spend that money anywhere else (especially if they draft a QB soon) and at least Mixon has a little less wear on the tires coming out of college.
Reply/Quote
The price looks a bit high, but as much as we think ZT is going to be "smart enough" to make Mixon do 90% of the work, I'd wager the guy saw how much fun it is to see Todd Gurley pummeled into a non-factor last year and combined that with Mixon's propensity to miss games and...well, you know.
Reply/Quote
Big Gio fan but yeah the contract kinda high. I say use gio n Mixon u till they drop.
Reply/Quote
I think we'll have a better idea about the value of this contract in 5 days.
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt be a fan of this if this was going to be another year of Zampese or Lazor running the offense, as Gio's receiving skills was vastly underused. Not to mention they loved running him up the middle too often than not it seemed, behind a shabby o-line to boot.

But I am going to assume he will be more in the passing game to utilize his abilities in space, at least I hope so.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:24 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Gio is simply not that good. He goes down way too easily.

I’m a fan of the current coaching group, but this was a mistake. Gio is probably the most overrated player on this team.  I was hoping Taylor and company would see that.

You are just wrong.

I am not saying the Bengals did not over pay some to extend him, but Gio is a very talented.

There are only 23 active RBs with at least 1500 receiving yards and Gio ranks in the top ten among them in yards per reception and yards per target.  He is also 11th in receiving yards per game, 12th in catch percentage, and 14th in rushing yards.  

Bernard has the lowest fumble percentage (by far) among the 33 active RBs with more than 500 carries.  Including receptions he has over 1000 career touches with only 4 fumbles.  That is also the best in the league.
Reply/Quote
I like Gio and think that after Elliot and others sign over the next couple of years this deal won’t look that bad (if they use him more).

I may get a lot of crap for this but Mixon is the guy I would be hesitant to resign. He’s been great but they are going to use him a lot and RBs wear down quick when they are given a heavy workload.

Gio is a great 3rd down/passing game option and hopefully the new staff will use him properly. Mixon is a guy I might try to franchise tag and then trade while trying to get another back in rounds 2-3 of the draft.

(Oh and here is a tip for the Bengals - if you develop a great O line then it makes your RBs and QB much better players)
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown had an investment company do an assessment of how he can save money. They probably prognosticated RB prices to skyrocket once Jones signs their RB. Mike made a preemptive move. ha!
Reply/Quote
I've never seen folks so concerned about Mike's money since he paid Hart and once we got the details of that contract folks saw how that contract was actually structured they piped down a little. Do anyone saying "too much" know the details of the contract? Gio is a professional, dependable, and makes this team better. Seems we should all be united in applauding this signing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Giovani Bernard is not the number one running back in Cincinnati: Joe Mixon is. With that being said — and with better offensive line production — Gio should play a huge part in Zac Taylor’s offense. Why? He’s a great checkdown receiver out of the backfield and having plays to someone like Gio, especially short passes, will keep a defense honest. He’s fast as can be so the yards after catch stat should be impressive as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 10:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Giovani Bernard is not the number one running back in Cincinnati: Joe Mixon is.  With that being said — and with better offensive line production — Gio should play a huge part in Zac Taylor’s offense.  Why?  He’s a great checkdown receiver out of the backfield and having plays to someone like Gio, especially short passes, will keep a defense honest.  He’s fast as can be so the yards after catch stat should be impressive as well.

He's now the 13th highest paid RB in the NFL on a per year basis.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 10:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Giovani Bernard is not the number one running back in Cincinnati: Joe Mixon is. With that being said — and with better offensive line production — Gio should play a huge part in Zac Taylor’s offense. Why? He’s a great checkdown receiver out of the backfield and having plays to someone like Gio, especially short passes, will keep a defense honest. He’s fast as can be so the yards after catch stat should be impressive as well.

He picks up the blitz pretty damn well too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 10:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Giovani Bernard is not the number one running back in Cincinnati: Joe Mixon is.  With that being said — and with better offensive line production — Gio should play a huge part in Zac Taylor’s offense.  Why?  He’s a great checkdown receiver out of the backfield and having plays to someone like Gio, especially short passes, will keep a defense honest.  He’s fast as can be so the yards after catch stat should be impressive as well.

If you can get him the ball where he only has one or two guys to beat, he can do big things.  I'd cut way down on interior running for him to keep him healthy and absolutely no more of those passes out to the boundary that get him killed. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Love Gio and glad to see him get paid, but I also want them to pay Mixon when his time comes for an extension.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I don't know what they were thinking. There will be younger less costly talent available at that position. Same old Bengals.
Reply/Quote