Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension
(09-03-2019, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always been a huge Gio fan, but this seems like a lot of money for a guy who is not even our feature back.

Maybe this means Gio will be getting a lot more touches than any of us suspect.

I'd say this is exactly what it means.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, maybe.  But, as far as I can remember, Gio has gotten dinged up just about every time they've used him as the primary back.

Heck, Gio's failure as a primary back might be why we took Mixon in the first place.

(09-03-2019, 02:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. He's not a primary back.

They have to be worried about retaining Mixon though.

It will be interesting to see how things play out with Zeke and Gordon. The Gurley contract kinda screwed everyone else.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: I wonder if this is Mixon insurance. I'd need to look at the full contract details, but part of me feels like this is preemptive posturing for a looming negotiation with Joe next year, who has already stated he believes HB's should be valued higher than they are.

mixon keeps playing the way he has and he will have no problem getting that next contract from the bengals….

Still don't want to go into next season with our top WR and top RB needing new deals.
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of this but I can understand it, I guess. Anderson tore the same ACL again, so who knows what his future looks like. Trayveon also hurt, so team probably doesn't have a lot of confidence of him backing up Mixon if needed.

With that said, RBs are a dime a dozen and a decent one can be drafted on Day 3 of any NFL draft or brought in on a cheap FA contract, so I think this was an overpayment.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not a fan of this but I can understand it, I guess. Anderson tore the same ACL again, so who knows what his future looks like. Trayveon also hurt, so team probably doesn't have a lot of confidence of him backing up Mixon if needed.

With that said, RBs are a dime a dozen and a decent one can be drafted on Day 3 of any NFL draft or brought in on a cheap FA contract, so I think this was an overpayment.

RBs are a dime a dozen but having one that's good at picking up blitz's like gio isn't a role most rookie can come into.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: RBs are a dime a dozen but having one that's good at picking up blitz's like gio isn't a role most rookie can come into.

So it's worth paying a RB $5 mill a year because he's good at picking up the blitz? Interesting.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Meh. Money well spent if the 12th President has designs on using him extensively.

Big waste if he's going to be called upon to do what he did the previous two seasons.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:12 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Surprised he got an extension but I think it’s unfair to say his numbers weren’t great when he’s been underutilized with the Bengals. I think Bernard can be utilized more in the passing game creating miss matches. The Patriots are one of the best teams in utilizing there backs in the passing game with guys like James White. The Chiefs also do a great job using there backs in the passing game, same with the Panthers and McCaffrey. Let’s start exposing other teams linebackers in coverage.

So then why not wait u til the season is over and evaluate how he fits into the new system? This move is just dumb. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:34 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Meh. Money well spent if the 12th President has designs on using him extensively.

Big waste if he's going to be called upon to do what he did the previous two seasons.

Maybe we plan on being super run heavy with AJ Green missing some games?

Either way, Gio would need a career year to justify this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe we plan on being super run heavy with AJ Green missing some games?

Sure, with our awesome OL.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Another mind bending move by a franchise on the decline.

I'm shocked really, but not sure why. Giving top 15 starter money to a backup role player is foolish cap spending, even though it's an important role, he's still a backup.

Reply/Quote
Anderson and Williams are injured.
There is no guarantee that Anderson will ever be the same.
Mixon if he has the season we think he will have
Will command a lot of $$$$$$.
This is nothing more than Bengals protecting themselves
And it says they will not draft a RB in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe we plan on being super run heavy with AJ Green missing some games?

It's always been my understanding that this team would be run heavy with or without Green.

I just wish we had the OL to back it up.

Reply/Quote
Interesting Gio factoid.

There are only three active players with at least 3000 rushing yards and 2000 receiving yards since 2013.

Bernard
LeSean McCoy
Le'Veon Bell
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:40 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Anderson and Williams are injured.
There is no guarantee that Anderson will ever be the same.
Mixon if he has the season we think he will have
Will command a lot of $$$$$$.
This is nothing more than Bengals protecting themselves
And it says they will not draft a RB in 2019.

Is this a Haiku?

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:39 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Sure, with our awesome OL.

LOL

What else are we going to do? Pass a lot behind that awesome o-line?
Reply/Quote
I see the team using Gio as a McCaffrey type (minus punt and KO returns) in passing downs to get him in space. Look for shovel passes to stretch the defense. He is not a featured back and cannot take the pounding between the tackles.

This indicates to me that Anderson's future is uncertain because I believe Anderson's Role would have been similar but Anderson also offered featured back potential.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting Gio factoid.

There are only three active players with at least 3000 rushing yards and 2000 receiving yards since 2013.

Bernard
LeSean McCoy
Le'Veon Bell

How many RBs have played that entire span though? That's the thing about such stats.

Many RBs have retired during that span, and many others were drafted after 2013. Meaning only a handful played from 2013-2018.
Reply/Quote
Overpay....don't know what else to call it.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So it's worth paying a RB $5 mill a year because he's good at picking up the blitz? Interesting.

The patriots pay Rex Burkhead 3.25 a year to do that and take an occasional carry. I'd say Gio is substantially better than Burkhead, albeit underutilized. 
Reply/Quote