Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio gets 2 yr- 10.3m extension
I guess my fear is they wanted Gio locked in because they think they won’t be able to re-sign Mixon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Considering what Elliott just got from the Cowboys, it's obvious running backs (read: their agents) are trying to reset the market on their value. Not working for Melvin Gordon because he's overrated, but Zeke and Gurley got pizz-aid with lots of guaranteed money. I wish I didn't think this move to lock up Gio for 2 years had something to do with the fact that Mikey knows the market for RBs is exploding again and has no desire to pay Mixon what he'll demand next year. But then again, Brown always has paid his own.

If they use Gio appropriately (and "appropriately" definitely includes keeping lots of wear off Joe's tires), then this isn't a bad thing. An overpay, to be sure, but not a terrible one.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

Well, where is some sauce to choke down this crow?  I have always liked the guy, but I never thought this would happen.   Glad he's a Bengals and I hope they have a lot designed for him in the new offense.  That isn't backup RB money.  
Reply/Quote
I'm not wading through 6 pages of replies, so if this has been said already apologies.

I like Gio, and have no real problem with this extension for several reasons.
1) The only mention of guaranteed money was a $600k bonus in March, the Zeke Elliott deal this is not.
2) It's likely a hedging their bets kind of move should Mixon try and hold out for Bell/Gurley/Elliott/what Gordon wants money
3) Gio's been good at things outside just pure yards numbers, like pass protection. He's a back you can rely on to do what's needed.
4) Until the actual games start we really don't know what the offense will look like. You're not going to show everything off in pre-season. As such, for all we know we'll see some two-back sets or Gio working out of the slot. 

If the deal was reported as being for 10mil with most of it guaranteed, then there's some concern. However, all I've seen across multiple sites/sources is that there's the 600k bonus in the spring and that's it. If Gio becomes superfluous they can move on. But until that time he's been an exemplary player (when healthy), and a fantastic character guy off the field. While he doesn't have the huge yardage totals to point to, he does have the yards per carry/reception going for him, when he gets touches he makes things happen (Career: Gio 4.2 ypc/Mixon 4.3, Gio 8.6 ypr/Mixon 8.0). 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 02:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's also been one of Andy's best friends at times.  He's really good at picking up the blitz..

But yes, that does seem really high for a 3rd down/change of pace back.

(09-03-2019, 02:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I love Gio as a person and he's alright as a player, but he has the 14th biggest cap hit at RB this season, which doesn't match his production (he was 71st in yards/scrimmage among RBs last year). He's also fairly fragile. They must really love him in the building.

I was hoping we'd work his salary down as he aged...not up.

They must be planning on using him a good bit more ? passing game I'd guess
Reply/Quote
The one thing Zac Taylor has done since he's been here is to emphasize character in the locker room. We saw it throughout the draft and now we're seeing it when it comes to extensions.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

Love Gio but that is a lot of dough for his production as Pistons says.

He is good picking up the blitz but he is not a primary RB.

Great teammate too, just think that is a lot of money. Not my money though so I don't care.

Happy for Gio.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love Gio but that is a lot of dough for his production as Pistons says.

He is good picking up the blitz but he is not a primary RB.

Great teammate too, just think that is a lot of money. Not my money though so I don't care.

Happy for Gio.

Yes - And it's only for 2 more years. It's not like they paid him for 5-6 years. It's high, but tolerable.
Reply/Quote
Proof again the Bengals spend money, they just do a horrible job of who they pay and how much. sigh.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 03:36 PM)yang Wrote: Proof again the Bengals spend money ON PLAYERS, they just do a horrible job of who they pay and how much.  sigh.

Fixed
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
We can't keep blaming MB for this type of loyalty and then claim he's stepped back and given control to Katie and co.

It's looking more and more likely that Katie will run this team just like her father.

And hearing Troy talk about Hart, it doesn't look like we'll get much help from him either.

Not hating on the move, cause as I said earlier, if we are going to pay for a locker room guy, I have no problem with it being Gio. But, it's clear the philosophy (loyal to a fault) hasn't changed much.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:06 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They must be planning on using him a good bit more ? passing game I'd guess

That... and the holdout is coming from Mixon next season. They'd better get ready to draft a guy too. Football isn't for Anderson, and Williams looked unspectacular...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 09:11 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Considering what Elliott just got from the Cowboys, it's obvious running backs (read: their agents) are trying to reset the market on their value. Not working for Melvin Gordon because he's overrated, but Zeke and Gurley got pizz-aid with lots of guaranteed money. I wish I didn't think this move to lock up Gio for 2 years had something to do with the fact that Mikey knows the market for RBs is exploding again and has no desire to pay Mixon what he'll demand next year. But then again, Brown always has paid his own.

If they use Gio appropriately (and "appropriately" definitely includes keeping lots of wear off Joe's tires), then this isn't a bad thing. An overpay, to be sure, but not a terrible one.

If we don't think Mike Brown will pony up for Mixon, why not run him into the ground?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 07:07 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I guess my fear is they wanted Gio locked in because they think they won’t be able to re-sign Mixon.

Looking at what Elliott contact, It will be either Green or Mixon getting the big bucks.  My view at the moment is Mixon if he leads the AFC in rushing.  Especially with this O-Line.  Hell, if Mixon leads the AFC with this O-Line he should also get a medal of valor.   
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 04:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Looking at what Elliott contact, It will be either Green or Mixon getting the big bucks.  My view at the moment is Mixon if he leads the AFC in rushing.  Especially with this O-Line.  Hell, if Mixon leads the AFC with this O-Line he should also get a medal of valor.   

If we have to choose between the two I would have to choose Mixon cause of his youth.

Mixon lead the AFC last season in rushing, probably behind a worse O-line than he will have this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 07:07 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I guess my fear is they wanted Gio locked in because they think they won’t be able to re-sign Mixon.

That has been stated a couple times but it's just not true. 

Teams don't look at a player like Gio and think they need to sign him in case they can't sign Mixon. They sign him if they feel he will be beneficial to the team and if he's willing to sign for what they value him at. When Mixon's time comes, they will offer and the dance will begin. From there they ave several options but they're not even going to be worrying about that until the appropriate time. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we have to choose between the two I would have to choose Mixon cause of his youth.

This.

I love AJ, but if we can only have one I'll take the younger guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 04:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Looking at what Elliott contact, It will be either Green or Mixon getting the big bucks.  My view at the moment is Mixon if he leads the AFC in rushing.  Especially with this O-Line.  Hell, if Mixon leads the AFC with this O-Line he should also get a medal of valor.   

I want both.  They need to do some number crunching and figure it out.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 05:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I love AJ, but if we can only have one I'll take the younger guy.

I've heard that about you. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 10:42 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I want both.  They need to do some number crunching and figure it out.

Agreed.

(09-07-2019, 11:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I've heard that about you. 

Hilarious
Reply/Quote