Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio gets an extension
Remember how angry some members of this board got when the Bengals would roll over unused cap space?  This line from Bengals.com is interesting:

“‘Before the Bernard deal, spotrac.com had the Bengals about $7,000 over the $166 million salary cap. In order to extend Bernard and Shawn Williams, they have dipped into their annual rollover from the cap.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-chase-down-Bernard-for-extension-through-19/53942398-442e-40ed-88a8-8bc95534d960
Reply/Quote
Idk if Gio will even last 3 more years with the way we have been setting him up to get demolished on the swing routes out of the backfield.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's what happens when you are paying $15.5m against the cap for Kirkpatrick and Zeitler. Neither are worth that.

Not even mentioning the $12.3m in cap space Vinny Rey, Maualuga, and Peko are taking up.

That's $27.8m for Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Rey, Maualuga, and Peko. Or 16.75%... a little over 1/6th of the cap space.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 07:35 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Remember how angry some members of this board got when the Bengals would roll over unused cap space?  This line from Bengals.com is interesting:

“‘Before the Bernard deal, spotrac.com had the Bengals about $7,000 over the $166 million salary cap. In order to extend Bernard and Shawn Williams, they have dipped into their annual rollover from the cap.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-chase-down-Bernard-for-extension-through-19/53942398-442e-40ed-88a8-8bc95534d960

How many times have they dipped into that fund though? Does one extension justify the previous 4-5 years of rolling back?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 07:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many times have they dipped into that fund though? Does one extension justify the previous 4-5 years of rolling back?

True, this is the first time that I know of, but at least it seems like they are throwing in the chips and going for it.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's what happens when you are paying $15.5m against the cap for Kirkpatrick and Zeitler. Neither are worth that.

Not even mentioning the $12.3m in cap space Vinny Rey, Maualuga, and Peko are taking up.

That's $27.8m for Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, Rey, Maualuga, and Peko. Or 16.75%... a little over 1/6th of the cap space.[/b]

Confused
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
This makes Bernard the 10th highest paid back in the league, in total value this year ($6+ million) and always-fuzzy APY ($5.1). He'll actually only pull in about $3.5 per year from 2017-19 to ease the cap hit.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/06/08/cincinnati-bengals-extend-running-back-giovani-bernard/85611376/

Didn't make the story but I did ask him about the van - he laughed and said he's still going to drive it around.

I'm not going to get into the back-and-forth (again) about cap stuff, but yes, the roll over from last year is always set aside for the next year's extensions. This year is different though in that yes, you're right, they have decided to pull more money from other places to pay for Dansby, LaFell and their own free agents. It is about as "all in" as you're going to see them go.

And no, this does not immediately affect Kirkpatrick, Zeitler and Hewitt. They will work on those through up until week 1 of the season and see if they can get it done.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
FO really showing they believe in this team. They think the time is now and are putting the chips in the center of the table.
Reply/Quote
Gio has finally grown into that NFL pro type of body. I'm good with it and wouldn't be surprised if he has very good season. The coaches have obviously watched his growth and he seems to be the type of man that will want show his gratitude with his play.
Reply/Quote
Solid move.

Really no reason to sign unless you get a raise or a huge guarantee. And we usually dont do huge guarantees. So i think getting zeitler or kirk done would be hard.

Gio is probably making 4 times what he would have this year now. So nice job giving him a reason to sign. Then we have a team friendly contract. Front loading these deals has worked well for us.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 08:21 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Gio has finally grown into that NFL pro type of body. I'm good with it and wouldn't be surprised if he has very good season. The coaches have obviously watched his growth and he seems to be the type of man that will want show his gratitude with his play.

For sure, has a great attitude and a great personality.

One of my favorite Bengals currently for sure.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 08:08 PM)jowczarski Wrote: And no, this does not immediately affect Kirkpatrick, Zeitler and Hewitt. They will work on those through up until week 1 of the season and see if they can get it done.

I'm assuming that's because Kirk and Zeitler's 2016 cap hits can't realistically get any more inflated (like Gio's did)? Also Hewitt should be relatively affordable.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 08:16 PM)bonesaw Wrote: FO really showing they believe in this team.  They think the time is now and our putting the chips in the center of the table.

Not only is the FO showing how much they believe in this team, but the players are electing to stay and play for the team that drafted and developed them.  I'm old enough to remember a time that players couldn't wait to get out of town, on the first thing smokin'.

I truly believe that the players, coaching staff, and FO all knew that last year was a special, championship capable type of team, prior to Andy breaking his thumb.  As a fan, it is very comforting to see all parties involved going "all in", in an effort to keep the team together and win a Championship.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well deserved.

Congratulations Gio !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not only is the FO showing how much they believe in this team, but the players are electing to stay and play for the team that drafted and developed them.  I'm old enough to remember a time that players couldn't wait to get out of town, on the first thing smokin'.

I truly believe that the players, coaching staff, and FO all knew that last year was a special, championship capable type of team, prior to Andy breaking his thumb.  As a fan, it is very comforting to see all parties involved going "all in", in an effort to keep the team together and win a Championship.

Well stated ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 07:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many times have they dipped into that fund though? Does one extension justify the previous 4-5 years of rolling back?

Just last year they spent over the cap because they rolled over cap space from the year before.

The money they rolled over from 4 years ago has not disappeared.  So i don't know what the complaint is.  I don't think people even understand how this works.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 05:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: PFT says he's being paid like a top 10 back. The average salary is a little high, IMO, but I'd rather Gio make 5-6 million per than lose him. He's definitely been a key offensive player for us. So even though I think it's a little high, I'm still happy with the news. An extra 1-2 million isn't a huge problem.

Seems a little high to me also, but I never imagined that Sanu and Jones would get paid as much as they did this year.  

Gio's value next year would depend a lot on what other RBs will be free agents.  We may have actually gotten a bargain at $5 mill per year.
Reply/Quote
Good job Mike and Katie.

Gio is critical to what we are doing. I wonder how they will view Hill now.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 07:35 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Remember how angry some members of this board got when the Bengals would roll over unused cap space?  This line from Bengals.com is interesting:

I guess there's a first time for everything.

Reply/Quote
Shake n Blake - exactly. If Zeitler and Kirkpatrick sign an extension this year, the team would likely only add a few million to it but disperse the majority of it into 2017 with bonuses (a la Green).

fredtoast - he's at $6 million this year, but then it drops down to $3.5 annually after. So definitely a good deal. It's the fuzzy math of "APY" -- it's $15.5 total over a "three-year extension" so it's "$5.1 on average annually" but that's deceiving because $5 is applied to this year. So really he's getting paid about $10.5 over the next three.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote