Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio had a pretty good game
8 for 63 rushing
6 for 25 receiving
14 for 85 total yards

Im a fan of Gio. I dont know about doing the 3rd series thing because I am generally against that way of coaching. But we really couldnt ask for a better #2 rb behind Hill.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
14 touches per game is a good number for him. Looked like Gio with 2013 vision out there.
Reply/Quote
The main thing compared to last season Gio was used when Hue spread out the defense and he thrived.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Agreed.

I was beginning to think he'd lost something.

I don't know if I'm sold on rotating the two however, I don't know what else you'd do.

I swear defenses know exactly when a screen to Gio is coming.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Yes he did and I was glad to see it. I was a little worried about him, he just didn't seem to have "it" in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 10:10 PM)Millhouse Wrote: 8 for 63 rushing
6 for 25 receiving
14 for 85 total yards

Im a fan of Gio. I dont know about doing the 3rd series thing because I am generally against that way of coaching. But we really couldnt ask for a better #2 rb behind Hill.

I don't think we've ever seen this guy play poorly when used effectively.  We have, however, seen the coaches suddenly stop calling the plays he succeeds at.  In my memory it isn't after other teams stop the plays either, we just change inexplicably and no longer play to his strengths.  Last year in particular I remember this being true.  

My first post, use gentle insults if you disagree lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 06:20 AM)Psycholomonkey Wrote: I don't think we've ever seen this guy play poorly when used effectively.  We have, however, seen the coaches suddenly stop calling the plays he succeeds at.  In my memory it isn't after other teams stop the plays either, we just change inexplicably and no longer play to his strengths.  Last year in particular I remember this being true.  

My first post, use gentle insults if you disagree lol.

Welcome aboard!!!  I think your first post was a good one.  He did have a good game and it shows how effective he can be when we use him according to his strengths.  If we keep that up, we could have a great season with him and Hill.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
I've always thought that we should trade Gio soon because Hill should be our bell cow at all times and we felt some kind of loyalty to Gio, so we put him in when he had no business being in (few short yardage situations last year and situations where we needed to just pound the ball between the tackles, which isn't Gio's style).

However, I loved the way he was used Sunday and think that he gives us a hell of a change of pace that can do a lot of different things that Hill can't or in ways that are different from Hill.
Reply/Quote
That is the perfect amount of touches for Gio, he's a great compliment to Jeremy Hill and when given the ball in space he can do some dynamic things!

As a side note would love to see Rex with some more touches and in a dream situation run the good ole "wishbone" with J Hill, Gio and Rex, the defense may have a heart attack if they see that formation!!! lol

Happy
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I agree with everyone here! In particular I hate when we dial up for Giovanni to run between the Center and Guard. I get the idea behind it, he's small, our line is massive, he should disappear and come out the other side untouched, but it just doesn't happen.

I couldn't help but watch Philly last night and dream about running their version of the Packer Sweep with Giovanni. Shotgun run, pull the Center and play side Tackle. It was amazing to watch last night. I know we don't have the personnel for it, but damn it could be an amazing wrinkle if pulled off.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:06 PM)YoungThundercat Wrote: I agree with everyone here! In particular I hate when we dial up for Giovanni to run between the Center and Guard. I get the idea behind it, he's small, our line is massive, he should disappear and come out the other side untouched, but it just doesn't happen.

I couldn't help but watch Philly last night and dream about running their version of the Packer Sweep with Giovanni. Shotgun run, pull the Center and play side Tackle. It was amazing to watch last night. I know we don't have the personnel for it, but damn it could be an amazing wrinkle if pulled off.

Agree with the Eagles philosophy, instead of Demarco, Ryan Matthews and Sproles we have Hill, Gio and Rex
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:06 PM)YoungThundercat Wrote: I agree with everyone here! In particular I hate when we dial up for Giovanni to run between the Center and Guard. I get the idea behind it, he's small, our line is massive, he should disappear and come out the other side untouched, but it just doesn't happen.

You have to keep the defense guessing. This is why Gio was getting creamed last year, everyone knew when Gio lined up it meant it was going to be an outside run or a screen.

You have to do inside runs and outside runs with both backs, its the only way to keep the defense completely guessing. Let Gio run up the middle if it keeps the defense guessing.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:06 PM)YoungThundercat Wrote:  I get the idea behind it, he's small, our line is massive, he should disappear and come out the other side untouched, but it just doesn't happen.

Reply/Quote
His best game since his rookie year.
Hopefully it's a sign his eyes are back
Reply/Quote
6 for 25 receiving
14 for 85 total yards

Agree. I wasn't sure what to expect from Gio, so this was encouraging. Look forward to seeing him and the rest of the team go against a real NFL team.
Reply/Quote
He seemed to have taken a step back last year with his vision, but was still productive.

This game was encouraging and I honestly expect a 1,500+ all purpose yard season from him.

Which isn't too crazy to think about. Last year he missed 3 games and still had over 1,000 all purpose yards even with Hill eventually starting over him.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 11:07 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've always thought that we should trade Gio soon because Hill should be our bell cow at all times and we felt some kind of loyalty to Gio, so we put him in when he had no business being in (few short yardage situations last year and situations where we needed to just pound the ball between the tackles, which isn't Gio's style).

However, I loved the way he was used Sunday and think that he gives us a hell of a change of pace that can do a lot of different things that Hill can't or in ways that are different from Hill.

I have always thought that I would like to see them on the field at the same time.  Both in the backfield from time to time, but especially Gio in the slot or even split out wide.
Reply/Quote
6 for 25 receiving
14 for 85 total yards

I thought Gio played great. Last year he wasn't utilized very well and his stats suffered. Gio up the middle repeatedly just isn't where his talents lie.

Reply/Quote
6 for 25 receiving
14 for 85 total yards

He did have a good game.  He looked quick and he looked pretty powerful too.  Great asset, for sure.  He'll be busting some big ones somewhere down the line.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
As long as Gio is provided open space, we're guaranteed a big run.

Hopefully he continues to be utilized to his strengths.
Reply/Quote