Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio had a pretty good game
(09-15-2015, 04:08 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I have always thought that I would like to see them on the field at the same time.  Both in the backfield from time to time, but especially Gio in the slot or even split out wide.

I don't really like both in the backfield at the same time just because I think that limits what can be done, but I could get behind putting him in the slot a few times a game and trying to get him the ball in space over the middle or in the flats, but not more than a few times a game because I like the way things are (if we'd take out Hewitt and put Kroft opposite of Eifert either at TE or in the slot).
Reply/Quote
As long as they keep Gio lateral and NEVER run him through the middle (FAIL) he will produce. Get that cat in open space and with some quick screens. He has vision and shifty speed but ZERO "up the middle breaking tackles" skills.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 11:40 AM)Whacked Wrote: As long as they keep Gio lateral and NEVER run him through the middle (FAIL) he will produce. Get that cat in open space and with some quick screens. He has vision and shifty speed but ZERO "up the middle breaking tackles" skills.

He ran through the middle just fine just not with 8 men in the box.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, Gio looked real good out there. Vision seems to be back and we all know he has the
speed and slipperiness to break a big run or catch all the way at anytime. Hue used him the
right way which i think helps him.

Don't give him too many carries, but give him around 15 or so touches as the spell back and
he should last and will help the team as a whole much more.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 11:40 AM)Whacked Wrote: As long as they keep Gio lateral and NEVER run him through the middle (FAIL) he will produce. Get that cat in open space and with some quick screens. He has vision and shifty speed but ZERO "up the middle breaking tackles" skills.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Jones-meets-the-press-Tough-love-for-Hill-Iloka-rests-Rivers-rolling/80ed550f-f594-4edb-9037-901e91b8d80b

Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson made sure running back Jeremy Hill saw the play from last Sunday. When Hill was on the sidelines in the two-minute drill at the end of the half, runningback Giovani Bernard gave the drive a huge boost when he wriggled away from a tackle by Pro Bowl safety Charles Woodson at the line of scrimmage and went for  an 18-yard gain.

“There are guys we turned loose one-on-one in the hole and he beat them. That’s what running backs do. That’s what I expect our backs to do. 
Reply/Quote
Gio has great talent and proved that his first year. The dude makes spectacular plays to keep this team alive. He has nothing to prove to me because he got beat up last year and I totally expect him to play lights out again. The fact is we have two very different running backs that could both be starters on any team in the NFL. Hill reminds me of Cedric Benson and Gio reminds me of a bigger Darren Sproles.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 10:10 PM)Millhouse Wrote: 8 for 63 rushing
6 for 25 receiving
14 for 85 total yards

Im a fan of Gio. I dont know about doing the 3rd series thing because I am generally against that way of coaching. But we really couldnt ask for a better #2 rb behind Hill.

yeah i dont like the RB per series method i like RB per situation.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 03:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah i dont like the RB per series method i like RB per situation.

I'd like to see two back sets with Gio and Hill both on the field. That'll add a whole new dimension.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 03:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah i dont like the RB per series method i like RB per situation.

Using an RB by situation pretty much tells the defense what we are going to do, or at least limits our options.

Gio is not a waif.  He is 5'9" 205.  He is as big or bigger than Ray Rice, Ahmad Bradshaw, Justin Forsett, Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, and DeAngelo Williams.

I don't think he would hold up pounding between the tackles 20 times a game, but stout, quick backs like him can be very effective running between the tackles.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 03:20 PM)Okeana Wrote: Gio has great talent and proved that his first year.  The dude makes spectacular plays to keep this team alive.  He has nothing to prove to me because he got beat up last year and I totally expect him to play lights out again.  The fact is we have two very different running backs that could both be starters on any team in the NFL.  Hill reminds me of Cedric Benson and Gio reminds me of a bigger Darren Sproles.

Hill has better vision, burst, speed, balance, hands, is bigger and i could list more positives about him than that over Benson.

He is better in everyway, more like a Corey Dillon type.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 12:51 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't really like both in the backfield at the same time just because I think that limits what can be done, but I could get behind putting him in the slot a few times a game and trying to get him the ball in space over the middle or in the flats, but not more than a few times a game because I like the way things are (if we'd take out Hewitt and put Kroft opposite of Eifert either at TE or in the slot).

Completely agree about getting him the ball in space.  I personally think this is when he is the most effective.  I've always thought he would be a nightmare as a slot receiver.  Especially if he lines up in the backfield, then splits into the slot.
Reply/Quote
Im happy with gio at 8-12 touches per game. Hill is an all day type back. Rotating him out when hes ready isnt the best idea
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Using an RB by situation pretty much tells the defense what we are going to do, or at least limits our options.

Gio is not a waif.  He is 5'9" 205.  He is as big or bigger than Ray Rice, Ahmad Bradshaw, Justin Forsett, Jamaal Charles, Maurice Jones-Drew, and DeAngelo Williams.

I don't think he would hold up pounding between the tackles 20 times a game, but stout, quick backs like him can be very effective running between the tackles.

Agreed. After I read Xeno's post, the first thought that came to mind was "predictable".

Gio is a good back. He can do it all. He's obviously stronger in some facets of his game, but he can run up the middle too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 10:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Im happy with gio at 8-12 touches per game. Hill is an all day type back. Rotating him out when hes ready isnt the best idea

Agree 100%. Hill needs to be our Marshawn Lynch. Use Gio to spot Hill and get him his usual targets in the passing game.

That should add up to around 8 or so touches per game, which I think it plenty. Beyond that, Gio is just a really good insurance policy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Using an RB by situation pretty much tells the defense what we are going to do, or at least limits our options.

I for the first time that I can recollect, 100% percent agree with fredtoast. Wink
Reply/Quote