Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yesterdays play calling/play designs
Yesterday was the first day since ZT has been head coach that I can actually say the play design and play calling was average/above average. There were tight end screens, misdirection, sneaks, etc. The play call and design on the TD pass to Gio was great. How they continue to get Sample involved has been great too.

The only thing I can somewhat criticize was the pass call that Burrow threw the pick on. Just sneak the damn ball inside the 2 yard line. Other than that though...things were good. I just wonder why it took so damn long...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Even though Cleveland didn't blitz the first time they played (didn't have to) much at all, they saw what the Rats did so they tried to emulate it. The OC and Burrow were ready. A little shocked they didn't go to those screens and quick hitches when the rats were blitzing all day, but I guess I would call this progress.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 04:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yesterday was the first day since ZT has been head coach that I can actually say the play design and play calling was average/above average. There were tight end screens, misdirection, sneaks, etc. The play call and design on the TD pass to Gio was great. How they continue to get Sample involved has been great too.

The only thing I can somewhat criticize was the pass call that Burrow threw the pick on. Just sneak the damn ball inside the 2 yard line. Other than that though...things were good. I just wonder why it took so damn long...

Looked this good in the Jax and Colts games as well.

The pass call was a good play call, Joe's gotta run or throw it away, in that situation.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 07:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Looked this good in the Jax and Colts games as well.

The pass call was a good play call, Joe's gotta run or throw it away, in that situation.

Boyd actually looked open if Burrow put it in the right spot. That said Burrow is stud and has done enough to win games. This defense is downright pitiful.
Reply/Quote
The only big issue is the empty sets versus overload blitzes. Burrow got caught that way twice, and with the empty backfield there was no one to pick up the blitzer.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 07:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: The only big issue is the empty sets versus overload blitzes. Burrow got caught that way twice, and with the empty backfield there was no one to pick up the blitzer.

Empty sets would work better with better OL, and even though the line is improving per the Brown's game, the Bengals still need OT and a stud guard like Trey Smith.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 07:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Empty sets would work better with better OL, and even though the line is improving per the Brown's game, the Bengals still need OT and a stud guard like Trey Smith.  

Actually against overloads no lineman can handle it on their own no matter how good they are. That is why you need to not run empty sets versus blitzing defenses - you need someone back with the QB to chip/block the blitzer. Gio did this heroically yesterday once they started consistently putting him back with Burrow on passing downs. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 07:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Looked this good in the Jax and Colts games as well.

Colts game we barely scored after the 21 points we put up. That says to me "lack of adjustments". 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
When the line plays better, QB has learned extremely quickly to get the ball out faster, and execution is better, the play calling will look better. I've been able a few times to see a great play call, only to have it blown up. I think he's better than what we've seen. It's starting to click a little now.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote