Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio on Pollack (with commentary)
(05-01-2018, 10:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, Jeremy Hill melting down on the sideline after his fumble reminded me of one word.... mature..... NOT!!! Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Oh the horror of it all, make it stop.  Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Alexander played a passive offensive line scheme. An aggressive blocking scheme will do wonders.

Theze are big, strong guys that want to maul people. The Bengals tend to draft really strong guyz that should attack the defense. Not wait to be attacked.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 11:03 PM)Shady Wrote: “Seeing Frank in the meeting room, you knew once he stepped up there it was a change,” Bernard said. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum with Paul. “That’s not a good thing (it sure as hell IS a good thing) or a bad thing, it’s just a different feel. You can understand that they want to change the mentality of the offensive line as well as the running backs." How could that NOT be a good thing?

“He’s just the opposite of Paul,” Thank GOD!!!!! Bernard said. “A little bit more vocal. I’m not saying that Paul was never vocal. (Pollack) is just a more in-your-face kind of guy. Whether that’s a good thing or bad thing, it doesn’t really matter. It’s just a different type of feel.”

The Nati just got nastier, and I don't think it's just with Pollack. Teryl Austin strikes me as being more in the mold of Mike Zimmer. More on this when I finish my full eval of the draft, UDFAs, and the off-season in general.

WHO DEY!!

Yeah, read this the other day. Gio is just trying to be a nice guy, but we all know what he means.

This was the change that needed to happen more than anything on this team.

Truly believe either Lazor, Pollack or Austin will be our next HC and i will be happy bout it.

We needed more in your face coaching here. These guys are just the type, especially Pollack.
Reply/Quote
I be the least sold on Lazor. I think Austin has HC potential in the Mike Tomlin mold.

Not sold on Pollack as the savior either, although I think his aggressive scheme will fit well. Will be interesting to see how well it does without 3 Pro Bowl lineman.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 03:31 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: I be the least sold on Lazor. I think Austin has HC potential in the Mike Tomlin mold.

Not sold on Pollack as the savior either, although I think his aggressive scheme will fit well. Will be interesting to see how well it does without 3 Pro Bowl lineman.

Actually i am the least sold on Austin. He is another Pitt native like Marv and his D sure didn't look good against us
last season. Also heard he is not the most aggressive coach and might not play as much man to man. This would be
a terrible mistake with our Corners who are pretty much all man to man Corners, not zone Corners.

What Lazor did last year was frickin' awesome man. Castrated Piano Man and got him out of here. Also like hearing
him speak in the PC's unlike Zamp or Brat, those guys were terriblez.

Also, we all know it will take time for these new coaches to gel with their players but once Pollack does i could see us
having 3 Pro Bowl Lineman in Price, Boling and Glenn. It is the right side of the line that will be the question.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 03:31 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: I be the least sold on Lazor. I think Austin has HC potential in the Mike Tomlin mold.

I'm not so sold on Austin. Detroit's offense had to score a billion points, because his defense couldn't stop anyone....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 11:03 PM)Shady Wrote: “Seeing Frank in the meeting room, you knew once he stepped up there it was a change,” Bernard said. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum with Paul. “That’s not a good thing (it sure as hell IS a good thing) or a bad thing, it’s just a different feel. You can understand that they want to change the mentality of the offensive line as well as the running backs." How could that NOT be a good thing?

“He’s just the opposite of Paul,” Thank GOD!!!!! Bernard said. “A little bit more vocal. I’m not saying that Paul was never vocal. (Pollack) is just a more in-your-face kind of guy. Whether that’s a good thing or bad thing, it doesn’t really matter. It’s just a different type of feel.”

The Nati just got nastier, and I don't think it's just with Pollack. Teryl Austin strikes me as being more in the mold of Mike Zimmer. More on this when I finish my full eval of the draft, UDFAs, and the off-season in general.

WHO DEY!!

[Image: 65963074.jpg]

(04-30-2018, 11:51 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Does he think by repeatedly say “it’s not a good thing or a bad thing”, everybody’s not going to know what he really means? We know.

Lol it was pretty obvious he threw that in for PC reasons. He knew how it'd sound.

(05-01-2018, 01:35 AM)treee Wrote: I think it varies. The more the coach oversees, the more reserved I think they should be. Absolutely no problem with a position coach (especially an Oline coach) getting pissed off.

I love it. I feel like complacency is cancer to success. When you have so many coaches and players getting comfy for 5-10-20 years, they get complacent. A new guy with an in-you-face attitude is sure to keep guys focused and motivated. Not to mention the entirely new scheme Lazor is implementing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 10:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: at 20 your still a man and these guys in the nfl are sure as hell grown

They may be grown physically, but most young men still have a lot growing to go, when it comes to handling their emotions.  Why do you think such a high proportion of these well paid athletes end up broke, after making millions during their playing days?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 09:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually you don't know.

There is more to coaching than screaming and squealing.  That is why Buddy Ryan sucked as a head coach while soft spoken Tony Dungy was one of the greatest of all time.

I think in high school and college a grown man screaming at a boy might be effective, but when grown men start yelling at other grown men there has to be something to respect behind that yelling or else the man getting yelled at will not respond. And if a grown man respects another mans knowledge then that other man does not have to scream at him to teach him. 

Obviously I am not saying that all screaming coaches suck, but I think way too many fans put way too much weight on how loud a coach can scream or pitch a fit.

Both were revolutionary in defensive play. The difference was dungy you had manning. Buddy totally flipped the eagles into a good team just as dungy did in Tampa. I can also tell you from personal experience he wasn’t a screamer. He did actually run practice. For dungy, manning ran practice and I did see this personally multiple times.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 01:00 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm not so sold on Austin. Detroit's offense had to score a billion points, because his defense couldn't stop anyone....

That had a lot to do with poor drafting I believe. Austin lost a lot of DL talent.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 03:31 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: I be the least sold on Lazor. I think Austin has HC potential in the Mike Tomlin mold.

Dear lord I hope we don’t hire a Tomlin type. Also Austin has legitimate experience.

Austin is more likely to be like, Ken Whisenhunt, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh, Jim Caldwell or Marvin Lewis.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Dear lord I hope we don’t hire a Tomlin type.  Also Austin has legitimate experience.

Austin is more likely to be like, Ken Whisenhunt, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh, Jim Caldwell or Marvin Lewis.

Tomlin has won Super Bowls. Not many of those guys have.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 12:31 AM)Neon Icon Wrote: Tomlin has won Super Bowls. Not many of those guys have.

He should have had many more with Big Ben as his qb. He is marvin lewis with an elite hall of fame Qb.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2018, 10:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That had a lot to do with poor drafting I believe.  Austin lost a lot of DL talent.

Good to know, know he had Ansah and Whitehead but after that i really don't know about many playmakers
on that D in Detroit. Wilson at Safety i guess was a good player there. Hope that Austin is an improvement
over Paulie G who i think had a lot of talent to work with.

Even though the Defense was on the field more than any team in the league i still think we should of been
much better at stopping the run and on 3rd downs. Should improve immensely now that we might have a
running game on Offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good to know, know he had Ansah and Whitehead but after that i really don't know about many playmakers
on that D in Detroit. Wilson at Safety i guess was a good player there. Hope that Austin is an improvement
over Paulie G who i think had a lot of talent to work with.

Even though the Defense was on the field more than any team in the league i still think we should of been
much better at stopping the run and on 3rd downs. Should improve immensely now that we might have a
running game on Offense.

I think that Austin will be just fine.  Some like to comment on how his defenses declined in ranking, as he remained with Detroit.  What those folks aren't really mentioning is that when Austin got to Detroit, their DL had both Fairley and Suh on it.  Losing a pair of players of that magnitude is going to set any defense back a couple years, as you just don't replace those guys overnight.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that Austin will be just fine.  Some like to comment on how his defenses declined in ranking, as he remained with Detroit.  What those folks aren't really mentioning is that when Austin got to Detroit, their DL had both Fairley and Suh on it.  Losing a pair of players of that magnitude is going to set any defense back a couple years, as you just don't replace those guys overnight.

Very true. Anyone that can't understand that in Cincinnati only has to look at the loss of Whit and Zeitler. And it may take another year or so to rebound from that loss. 

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:01 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He should have had many more with Big Ben as his qb.  He is marvin lewis with an elite hall of fame Qb.

I guess I sort of agree.  I think a lack of discipline on that team really hampers them at critical times, just as it does the Bengals.  Their critical moments tend to be games vs the Pats, ours tend to be first round playoff tilts.  The Jacksonville game in Pittsburgh this year was an unacceptable example of players running wild and having zero mental preparation for an opponent that was a lot more serious than they anticiapted.  I thought it was absolutely hilarious to see them act like a team that beat their brains out during the regular season was just going to come in and lay down for the mighty Steelers.

I also think that they are a really talented team that just happens to have the misfortune of playing at a high level at a time when Brady and Bellichick are still running the conference.  At the end of the day, if you can't overcome that hurdle, you're going home sooner or later.

The whole Bengals-Steelers bloodbath series of the last few seasons is largely a result of two coaches that lack control of players.  They fail every single time to get their guys to focus on the game and avoid the extracurricular violence.  The game becomes almost secondary to grudges and payback.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:55 PM)samhain Wrote: I guess I sort of agree.  I think a lack of discipline on that team really hampers them at critical times, just as it does the Bengals.  Their critical moments tend to be games vs the Pats, ours tend to be first round playoff tilts.  The Jacksonville game in Pittsburgh this year was an unacceptable example of players running wild and having zero mental preparation for an opponent that was a lot more serious than they anticiapted.  I thought it was absolutely hilarious to see them act like a team that beat their brains out during the regular season was just going to come in and lay down for the mighty Steelers.

It's funny when the steelers do a lot of trash talking during the week before a game. They usually lose. Well, unless it's against us.  Cry

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that Austin will be just fine.  Some like to comment on how his defenses declined in ranking, as he remained with Detroit.  What those folks aren't really mentioning is that when Austin got to Detroit, their DL had both Fairley and Suh on it.  Losing a pair of players of that magnitude is going to set any defense back a couple years, as you just don't replace those guys overnight.

True, those are two huge losses.

Good point Sunset. Hoping you are right about Austin. It sure would be cool if he could get something out of
my brother Billings. Still have very high hopes for this guy, now that he can get back to pumping the weights
like he was before the injury he should be just too strong for a single O-lineman to handle.

(05-05-2018, 02:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Very true. Anyone that can't understand that in Cincinnati only has to look at the loss of Whit and Zeitler. And it may take another year or so to rebound from that loss. 

What is nice is those two losses pretty much led to our best addition by subtraction. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 04:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is nice is those two losses pretty much led to our best addition by subtraction. Cool

Please explain.

Reply/Quote