Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give me your dark horse and your dud for 2018
(04-11-2018, 02:10 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Dark Horse: Dre Kirkpatrick

With the signing of a DC like Austin that specializes in defensive backs and creating turnovers, I think we see better play back there, and more interceptions. Dre has had good production with picks in the past. He hasn't played the best lately. Made a lot of mistakes, taken a lot of penalties. I think Austin and our new DB coach will clean up his play and get him playing more technically sound. Thinking he could nab 5 picks this year.

Dud: Carl Lawson

Wanna see the guy produce. But this is just my gut feeling. He slowed down as the year went on. I'm not sure how they'll use him this year, either. A lot of people are really high on him and I think he might fail to meet expectations. Hope not, obviously. Wanna see a lot of sacks by this defensive front. It has been on the decline though, and part of that is because they're on the field too much. Would definitely be good to get some young guys in the rotation and producing.

Hope you are right about Kirkpatrick and wrong about Lawson. Dre can be decent at times and can pick the ball off he is
just so inconsistent and obviously flambouyant. I really think Dennard is the guy besides Will Jax that will impress if he can
stay healthy.

The way they are talking about Lawson playing SAM kind of seems like a move that could backfire. He is a great pass rusher
but he gets lost in space, just hoping the guy can learn to cover and stop the run cause it looks like we are putting all of our
eggs in that basket. I like Rashaan Evans a lot, but it seems like we won't draft him from what Jim O says.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 01:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope you are right about Kirkpatrick and wrong about Lawson. Dre can be decent at times and can pick the ball off he is
just so inconsistent and obviously flambouyant. I really think Dennard is the guy besides Will Jax that will impress if he can
stay healthy.

The way they are talking about Lawson playing SAM kind of seems like a move that could backfire. He is a great pass rusher
but he gets lost in space, just hoping the guy can learn to cover and stop the run cause it looks like we are putting all of our
eggs in that basket. I like Rashaan Evans a lot, but it seems like we won't draft him from what Jim O says.

I tried not to think about my response too much and just went with my gut as far as choosing my guys. Dre was pretty good two years ago when we won the division. His play has definitely dropped off and gotten more inconsistent since then. He was never all that consistent, but he was definitely playing better back then, and making a few plays/picks. I think with better coaching he can get back to that level of play--who knows, maybe even better. Like I said, just a gut feeling that he proves us wrong this year. He's someone everyone is down on, so I think he's a good dark horse candidate.

As far as Lawson goes... He's a great dud candidate--not just because everyone is high on him, but because he's not a traditional DE, nor a traditional linebacker. I don't know how the coaches plan on using him. And, his production dropped off significantly later in the season. It just left me with the feeling that he could have a down year. Having said all that, I think he has the potential to build off his performance last year in the same situational pass rusher role. He's definitely a skilled rusher. I'm really hoping my gut is wrong with Lawson (and right with Dre). 

I get a little hesitant to make these sorts of predictions. I really didn't want to touch on Eifert or Ross, perhaps the biggest boom or bust players on our team. Seems like half the fan base have high expectations and half have low expectations. I feel like Eifert could bounce back in a big way, but he could get injured again too. And I have the feeling Ross won't break out until year 3 if he does. I really hope we can draft a tight end like Goedert at some point in the draft for Eifert insurance going into next year. I would like to see some solid production from both Ross and Eifert this year though. Some of that hinges on how they rebuild the offensive line and some of it hinges on them individually--and some of it is luck with injuries  Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 08:41 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I tried not to think about my response too much and just went with my gut as far as choosing my guys. Dre was pretty good two years ago when we won the division. His play has definitely dropped off and gotten more inconsistent since then. He was never all that consistent, but he was definitely playing better back then, and making a few plays/picks. I think with better coaching he can get back to that level of play--who knows, maybe even better. Like I said, just a gut feeling that he proves us wrong this year. He's someone everyone is down on, so I think he's a good dark horse candidate.

As far as Lawson goes... He's a great dud candidate--not just because everyone is high on him, but because he's not a traditional DE, nor a traditional linebacker. I don't know how the coaches plan on using him. And, his production dropped off significantly later in the season. It just left me with the feeling that he could have a down year. Having said all that, I think he has the potential to build off his performance last year in the same situational pass rusher role. He's definitely a skilled rusher. I'm really hoping my gut is wrong with Lawson (and right with Dre). 

I get a little hesitant to make these sorts of predictions. I really didn't want to touch on Eifert or Ross, perhaps the biggest boom or bust players on our team. Seems like half the fan base have high expectations and half have low expectations. I feel like Eifert could bounce back in a big way, but he could get injured again too. And I have the feeling Ross won't break out until year 3 if he does. I really hope we can draft a tight end like Goedert at some point in the draft for Eifert insurance going into next year. I would like to see some solid production from both Ross and Eifert this year though. Some of that hinges on how they rebuild the offensive line and some of it hinges on them individually--and some of it is luck with injuries  Ninja

Nice post man, i completely understand all of your points. Dre sure had a great game against Peyton Manning
back in the day. He has good length and good closing speed, doesn't get beat deep too often. His biggest problem
is the interference penalties. He doesn't get beat by the double moves as much as he used to.

Dennard last year just looked more polished in all aspects. There is a reason coaches were comparing him to Hall.

The thing with Lawson is i like that Merv is looking at playing him at SAM cause we need to know if he can be a
3 down Linebacker. If he can, damn. If he can't i just hope it doesn't cost us games. A lot seems to be hinging on
Lawson if we do not Draft a SAM backer.

Injuries are the only things holding Eifert and Ross back. They are both extremely talented and if they can stay
healthy can be as good as anyone at their positions.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 01:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post man, i completely understand all of your points. Dre sure had a great game against Peyton Manning
back in the day. He has good length and good closing speed, doesn't get beat deep too often. His biggest problem
is the interference penalties. He doesn't get beat by the double moves as much as he used to.

Dennard last year just looked more polished in all aspects. There is a reason coaches were comparing him to Hall.

The thing with Lawson is i like that Merv is looking at playing him at SAM cause we need to know if he can be a
3 down Linebacker. If he can, damn. If he can't i just hope it doesn't cost us games. A lot seems to be hinging on
Lawson if we do not Draft a SAM backer.

Injuries are the only things holding Eifert and Ross back. They are both extremely talented and if they can stay
healthy can be as good as anyone at their positions.

I like Dennard too. Seems like they only play him in the slot though. He's definitely effective there. He's very quick, and his coverage skills have really developed. Leon Hall is a good comparison; he was pretty damn good in the slot too (also great from the outside before the injuries). It'd be interesting to see if they work Dennard more on the outside this year at all. Dre has kinda been their guy on the outside, and has definitely struggled. I'm hoping the coaching gets him playing better. The defense has been on the field too much lately, and he's been exposed for sure. If he doesn't bounce back this year they really gotta think about replacing him soon. Fingers Crossed. 

Also, wouldn't mind seeing Pacman come back on the cheap after the draft for depth; don't think anyone's signed him yet. 

To be honest, when I think back to when we drafted Dre I remember not being blown away by the pick. Wasn't he a zone corner coming out? If he was a little bigger maybe he'd be a good safety... haha Anyway, never have been all that excited about him. But I'm really hoping he can prove everyone wrong this year. Like I said, he was pretty decent a couple years ago.

I hope it works out with Lawson, really can't tell what to expect. Hope they have him in there rushing the passer in a rotational role. I'd rather they try someone else at linebacker but who knows, maybe it could work out. Sounds like they're thinking of having him do what James Harrison did for us that one year?

I'm not sure Ross is ready quite yet. If healthy it seems like he still has a lot to learn as far as fitting into our offense and running good routes. He didn't get a chance to play last year, so I feel like this coming year turns into his rookie year in a sense. Not many WRs do too well in their rookie years. We'll see. I'm hoping for the best. Glad he's working with TJ in the offseason. I feel like learning a new offense could make it harder on him too, but we'll see. Lazor might be able to find a way to make it easy on him. 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 02:57 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I like Dennard too. Seems like they only play him in the slot though. He's definitely effective there. He's very quick, and his coverage skills have really developed. Leon Hall is a good comparison; he was pretty damn good in the slot too (also great from the outside before the injuries). It'd be interesting to see if they work Dennard more on the outside this year at all. Dre has kinda been their guy on the outside, and has definitely struggled. I'm hoping the coaching gets him playing better. The defense has been on the field too much lately, and he's been exposed for sure. If he doesn't bounce back this year they really gotta think about replacing him soon. Fingers Crossed. 

Also, wouldn't mind seeing Pacman come back on the cheap after the draft for depth; don't think anyone's signed him yet. 

To be honest, when I think back to when we drafted Dre I remember not being blown away by the pick. Wasn't he a zone corner coming out? If he was a little bigger maybe he'd be a good safety... haha Anyway, never have been all that excited about him. But I'm really hoping he can prove everyone wrong this year. Like I said, he was pretty decent a couple years ago.

I hope it works out with Lawson, really can't tell what to expect. Hope they have him in there rushing the passer in a rotational role. I'd rather they try someone else at linebacker but who knows, maybe it could work out. Sounds like they're thinking of having him do what James Harrison did for us that one year?

I'm not sure Ross is ready quite yet. If healthy it seems like he still has a lot to learn as far as fitting into our offense and running good routes. He didn't get a chance to play last year, so I feel like this coming year turns into his rookie year in a sense. Not many WRs do too well in their rookie years. We'll see. I'm hoping for the best. Glad he's working with TJ in the offseason. I feel like learning a new offense could make it harder on him too, but we'll see. Lazor might be able to find a way to make it easy on him. 

Dre as pretty much all of our Corners has always been better playing Man rather than Zone. Dennard always played better
on the outside as well, i think Dre might be better in the Slot with Dennard outside. Interesting thought on Dre playing S.

Never really thought of that since we Drafted him, Shaw is always the guy i think of moving there if we needed him to.
Reply/Quote
Dre at safety ? have you guys not seen RB Bell stiff arm Dre K enough?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2018, 12:17 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Dre at safety ? have you guys not seen RB Bell stiff arm Dre K enough?

Shaw is definately the more natural Safety if we move a guy.

Agreed, Dre is not physical and cannot tackle good enough to be a Safety.
Reply/Quote
Dark horse: Boyd
Did: Ross

I think he gets a start or two midway trough the year, inured, and we don’t hear from him again until he signs with Tampa or someone in a couple years.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2018, 12:17 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Dre at safety ? have you guys not seen RB Bell stiff arm Dre K enough?

I was joking, as evidenced by the ha ha. I also jokingly said he didnt have the body type for it.

Also, I remember Dre being known for zone coverage in college coming out, but obviously he’s a man corner because thats what we play. I brought it up because i was wondering if thats why he’s struggled at times. Then i joked that because he was known for zone that maybe he could play safety. But he’s not tough enough in my opinion. I think coaching can get him playing better outside man. He always seemed more of an outside guy to me. Slot corners are usually shorter and quicker, and better able to stick with receivers like glue. But i could be wrong. Dennard seems like the better slot guy to me. I could see Dre doing better as a number 2 corner with better coaching.

I think you put will jackson on antonio brown, Dennard on juju, and dre in the number 2 receiver bryant and we match up pretty well i think.
Reply/Quote
Dark horse Fisher- I think most of his problems were lack of stamina from the heart issue and poor coaching both of which are fixed.

Dud Kirkpatrick- the PI master strikes again.
Reply/Quote