Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give me your dark horse and your dud for 2018
(04-07-2018, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You do when that LT is the highest paid player on your roster and his rookie replacement ('17 first round pick Dion Dawkins) played very well last year.

And also when the team trading him desperately wanted to get cap room cleared. Glenn is fine - the foot injury has finished healing and the procedure was just a bone spur removal. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 07:43 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Dude: Andy Dalton 

The QB abides.

Cool
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse: Jordan Evans: Really like his size, & jump off the ball. I thought MJ took way too many snaps away from Evans last year. Hopefully MJ gets cut, freeing up cap space to resign Geno & Los, & Evans gets his opportunity.

Dud: Dre Kirkpatrick: It seems everytime I almost quit on him, he seems to make a play like a pass deflection ..... only to follow it with a PI. Is he worth $10 million a year? Hell no. Could Denard prove he is the better CB, most likely.
Reply/Quote
Dark hourse: Malone
Dud: Hewitt
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The QB abides.

Cool

Hahahaha! Nice one! My autocorrect must not have like my dud pick!
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse: Andrew Billings

Dud: Joe Mixon
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Dark Horse: Marvin Lewis.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 12:44 AM)Benton Wrote: Dark Horse: Marvin Lewis.

Mellow

Sorry, there is no horses ass category
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 12:44 AM)Benton Wrote: Dark Horse: Marvin Lewis.

Mellow

Ha!  In order for that to happen, he would have to have everything so in place that he didn't have to do, well, anything.  

If that's the case, we should all just start planning our SB celebration party, right?  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dark Horse: Katie Blackburn

Interpret that however you wish.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Agree on Westerman as a dark horse. With Alexander gone, we may actually have offensive coaches that get him in the damn game.

I don't want to say dud, but Mixon has to quit trying to make four cuts at once, make one damn cut and go. Or maybe just run the play and hit the hole. If he can learn that he'll be a dude and not a dud.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I could see the team taking a CB in mid rounds, for developmental purposes.  Your description of his play as "streaky", is quite accurate in my opinion.  However, at a "premium" position like CB, a true professional needs to be consistent and focused in his craft.  At this point, it's tough to see the Bengals ever entertaining the idea of signing him to a 3rd contract.  FWIW, I believe that the dead money on his deal goes down significantly, after this season.

Much like yourself, I certainly hope that he get's it together, and leads the league in PDF and INTs.  But, I'm not holding my breath.

I hear ya.  If the pass rush does what I think it can do with MJ relegated to a rotational role at DT and maybe a guy like Billings surprises, the CB play will look a lot better.  I don't really know what to expect of Austin.   Will he be a piss-and-vinegar guy with an aggressive style or will Marv neuter him?  Either way, I hope the defense is better than last year, and if they get an early LB, they should be much better as they are loaded with talent.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting pick.

Nohting spectacular last year, but he got a lot of experience for a 6th round rookie.  Played over 30% of the teams snaps on defense (311) and another 246 on special teams.

Neither he nor Vigil impressed me much last year, but I'd think Evans is more likely to improve sigificantly because Vigil was already in his second year. 

Maybe not spectacular, but look how Willis compares to all the DEs taken in Rd 1 of last year's draft.  One is significantly ahead of him, three are very close to him, and two are well below him.  That puts him smack dab in the middle of all rookie DEs that were selected in the first round.  

I still feel like almost all rookie players in the trenches struggle to some extent their first NFL season, not only due to the adjustment to talent around them, but the fact that their Senior year never really ends.  They go from bowl games, right to specialty training facilities, to the combine, to OTAs, to mini-camps, and to training camps.  

I have very high hopes for Jordan Willis in year two.  When you see him do certain things, like when he blocked that punt, it shows that he has a rare skill set of strength, speed, and agility.  

Jordan Willis
2017 PFF Grades
Overall

Myles Garrett

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]88.4
[/i]

Solomon Thomas

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]53.2
[/i]

Taco Charlton

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]52.5
[/i]

Jonathon Allen

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]81.3
[/i]

Tak McKinley

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]77.8
[/i]

Derek Barnett

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]74.7
[/i]

#60 ED

#47 ED

#0 DI

#94 ED

#92 ED

#12 ED

#56 ED
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Darkhorse - Billings, he will be 100% and having a full Offseason to prepare will be huge. He will finally be that DT next to
Geno that will either free him up or be freed up by Geno if they double him. Cannot double both. Billings will be able to lift
this year like he did when he was a rookie so he can get back to that super strength.

Another player that nobody is talking about is Brandon Wilson who could come from nowhere and be key on ST's.

Dud - Vigil, think a rookie or Evans will end up taking his spot. Also could go with Kirkpatrick here as i think better Corners
will end up taking his snaps eventually as the season goes on.

That is a great point on Billings, and I think he is just 22 years old right now.  Huge difference from the 20 year old we drafted, and could still turn it on even more as he develops.  I see flashes, but he seems to wear down, so maybe conditioning and his injury was a part of that?  Either way, if Billings shows what we all seem to think he can be this year, with Baker and some young pass rushers, the defense could soar.

I don't know about Vigil.  If I were to start a thread on "team enigma:  who makes no sense", my vote would be Vigil.  I saw him cover TEs beautifully from time to time.  I saw him fly in to make a tackle on a play (for a loss) and he seemed to diagnose the play very quickly.  Then other times, I see him whiff so badly in the open field on a tackle that he wouldn't have even got the guy down in two hand touch.  

Consistency, or lack thereof, is his biggest weakness.  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 09:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Maybe not spectacular, but look how Willis compares to all the DEs taken in Rd 1 of last year's draft.  One is significantly ahead of him, three are very close to him, and two are well below him.  That puts him smack dab in the middle of all rookie DEs that were selected in the first round.  

I still feel like almost all rookie players in the trenches struggle to some extent their first NFL season, not only due to the adjustment to talent around them, but the fact that their Senior year never really ends.  They go from bowl games, right to specialty training facilities, to the combine, to OTAs, to mini-camps, and to training camps.  

I have very high hopes for Jordan Willis in year two.  When you see him do certain things, like when he blocked that punt, it shows that he has a rare skill set of strength, speed, and agility.  

Jordan Willis

2017 PFF Grades
Overall

Myles Garrett

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]88.4
[/i]

Solomon Thomas

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]53.2
[/i]

Taco Charlton

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]52.5
[/i]

Jonathon Allen

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]81.3
[/i]

Tak McKinley

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]77.8
[/i]

Derek Barnett

2017 PFF Grades
Overall
[i]74.7
[/i]

#60 ED

#47 ED

#0 DI

#94 ED

#92 ED

#12 ED

#56 ED

Great info! +Rep for putting the work in.

I almost put Jordan Willis as my Dark Horse. Great pick! Really pleased with him last season. He quietly started to blossom and, I would think that with the type of worker he is, will become better with reps and playing time for sure.

I think he has a higher "all around" or every down ceiling than Lawson. I love Lawson as well. I just see him as an explosive splash play quy with how the Bengals use him where as with Willis I think his play can stand the test of time as an every down guy. He's an outstanding player and, I think, a steal in last year's draft!

Willis would be my 1B with Westerman with Glasgow my 1C. Watching him play, I liked Glasgow a lot, even though some were less than thrilled with him. He seemed to disrupt the pocket a lot, even though that's not a measurable statistic. It wears the opposing team down and makes the QB move around. I liked what he did in limited action.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You can bet Darrin Simmons will give Wilson a shot. He isn't like Merv, his guys earn their snaps on ST's and he runs the ST's unit.

Merv doesn't get a say with ST's thankfully. Hope the same goes for Lazor, Austin and Pollack. Just let them do their jobs.

Gotta say that you listing Mixon as a dud really surprises me. I bet he really surprises you and is right up there with Kamara, Hunt,
Fournette and Cook this season. He averaged 5.1 YPC once Lazor changed up the scheme late last year and that was with Og and
Bodine blocking and PA still the O-line coach.

Mixon has great vision, size, speed, burst, hands and moves. I am expecting super star in his future.

You are on a roll, my friend.  

Wilson got a shot late last year and was an impact guy on special teams.  I loved to watch that Houston team when he was there.  That defense had speed to burn and made plays all over the field.  My guy Fej proved to be a capable fill-in as a seventh rounder with minimal experience at coverage safety.  I think Brandon Wilson deserves a shot as the deep safety.  If nothing else, I hope he gets the shot in the preseason and shows that he should at least warrant consideration.  Our safeties never seem to stay healthy. 

And you are dead on with respect to Mixon.  I didn't want to draft him (more for PR than anything) but the kid kept his nose clean and showed flashes of being the guy we saw at Oklahoma.  I think, as you stated, that once he has the new offense installed and better offensive line play, the guy will soar.  I am not a fantasy guy, but I would want Mixon on my fantasy team this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is a great point on Billings, and I think he is just 22 years old right now.  Huge difference from the 20 year old we drafted, and could still turn it on even more as he develops.  I see flashes, but he seems to wear down, so maybe conditioning and his injury was a part of that?  Either way, if Billings shows what we all seem to think he can be this year, with Baker and some young pass rushers, the defense could soar.

I don't know about Vigil.  If I were to start a thread on "team enigma:  who makes no sense", my vote would be Vigil.  I saw him cover TEs beautifully from time to time.  I saw him fly in to make a tackle on a play (for a loss) and he seemed to diagnose the play very quickly.  Then other times, I see him whiff so badly in the open field on a tackle that he wouldn't have even got the guy down in two hand touch.  

Consistency, or lack thereof, is his biggest weakness.  

I have hopes for Vigil. He gets the mental side of it scheme wise and is definitely a very strong athlete. He just has to puttogether the physical maturity and clean some stuff up. I think he takes a big leap this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 06:23 PM)McC Wrote: Dark horse--Jake Fisher.

Dud--no one.  This is the magic year where everyone does what they're supposed to and the cloud of bad luck lands on some other unsuspecting team for a change.

Friggin' awesome.  We have a winner.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 06:28 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Dark Horse: Brian Hill. Takes all of Jeremy's snaps and averages over 4 yards a carry.

Dud: Preston Brown. The guy is average at best and proves why he had to take a 1 year deal.

Very interesting dark horse.  I love it!  That would be the darkest of dark horses.  

I think you might have missed, however, how many really good NFL players ended up with one-year deals this year.  It seems to be the new trend.  Brown will love playing on this defense.  
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 06:39 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Darkhorse/Stud Andy Dalton bounces back behind an improved run game & better blocking.

Dud Boy I hope I’m wrong with this one; but nearly every single time we see a rising star on this team, something happens and the star diminishes, so I’m choosing WJ3. Sorry guys ...

You had me high as a kite with your selection (no one else picked him of either side yet!) of Dalton for Dark Horse, but then I was struck by lightening on your pick of WJIII.  

That guy, in his first year on the field, was phenomenal.  You have every right (and history, as you mentioned) to select him, but I think this guy is a legit star and will be in the Pro Bowl this year.  (of course, he won't be able to attend  Cool).
Reply/Quote