Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give the new regime a chance
(03-13-2019, 10:28 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Some might also argue Jarvis Landry. I wouldn't, but a compelling case can be made. He was exceptional last year, is still young and has been very durable. 

Anyone that would argue that would make themselves look pretty foolish.

AJ is way better than Landry.

Also, exceptional is a bit much. He didn’t even have 1k yds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are obviously banking on health and a new coaching staff making us better.

The offense was pretty good to start the year, but fell off a cliff when Eifert got injured. Then, it kept getting worse from there. Maybe taking Hockenstein at TE makes sense in Round 1?

As for the defense, they were varying degrees of bad all year, even when healthy. A lot is the LB's, but even when Brown and Burfict were healthy, we weren't great.

I don't know that it's a fair assessment to assume that Game Management will be better by default by getting rid of Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone that would argue that would make themselves look pretty foolish.

Agreed. I think AJ is the best WR in the division.

That said, he's 30 years old. Landry and OBJ are 26.

Our core has aged to the point that we are in Win Now mode.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:16 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The problem is we are coming from 3 straight losing seasons. The team core is aging. The changes so far is the coaching staff. OL, LB and the defense have still lots of issues that need fixing. Injuries happen, but our back ups are none to back up anybody to be able to win.

I think this is the key.  We have some pretty good players on the front end of the roster.....the depth is what hurt.  Maybe we get some players in FA or draft that cure this problem.  Aside from the LB corps and right side of the oline, most of the starters were pretty good players.  When they got injured (and some key backups like Lawson and Glassgow) the cupboard was bare.  Unlike most, I like Preston Brown.  I thought he played well until he was hampered by his own injury.  He had a pick at Indy, and still got another against MIA, even though he was on a gimp ankle by that point.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone that would argue that would make themselves look pretty foolish.

Even he said he wouldn't agree to that.  He has been a solid player, and the Browns offense didn't take off until Mayfield took over.  That said, you're right, Landry is no Green.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think this is the key.  We have some pretty good players on the front end of the roster.....the depth is what hurt.  Maybe we get some players in FA or draft that cure this problem.  Aside from the LB corps and right side of the oline, most of the starters were pretty good players.  When they got injured (and some key backups like Lawson and Glassgow) the cupboard was bare.  Unlike most, I like Preston Brown.  I thought he played well until he was hampered by his own injury.  He had a pick at Indy, and still got another against MIA, even though he was on a gimp ankle by that point.

Yeah...EVERY YEAR in the NFL teams have injuries. This upcoming year, we will likely lose several starters too at some point. It's just how the league works.

IMO that's all on drafting. When you draft good every year, you get depth.

Our rosters 5-6 years ago when we were drafting good had decent depth. Now...not so much. We don't even have league average starters at 5 or 6 positions.
Reply/Quote
my problem i I have not heard one statement from Tobin or Taylor in regards to not accepting the mediocrity thats made a home in Cincy the last 3 years.
Taylor has said all the proper politically correct things.
I havent seen any proof that this franchise is willing to try a new approach in attempt to become more than a 1st RD PLAYOFF EXIT.
Tobin has all the fire and urgency if a guidance counselor.
listen to John Dorsey.hes aggressive and excited in his tone.
Reply/Quote
This time or year is almost always the same. Next year will be rinse and repeat. It's simply the life of a Bengals fan.

At the end of the day, the Bengals could go 0-16 for the rest of eternity and I'll still be a fan. I love my hometown team. That will simply never change. At times I may be overly critical and at times I may say stupid shit because of emotion, but my love for the Bengals never wavers. Our GM/owner and front office are the biggest faults with my team. They severely limit this franchise. Outside of some posters on this board and his family, no one views our GM/owner in a positive light. Even having a few winning seasons and first round playoff exits haven't washed his stink off of this team.

So yeah, some fans are doom and gloom, some are cautiously optimistic, and some are completely jaded. As someone who lived through the good years and then experienced every year of Mike Brown, I feel I have that right. I've dealt with the jokes and torment from other fans, I've watched every team in the League win a playoff game since we last won one, I've watched us keep players that shouldn't be in stripes get undeserved extensions, and watched franchise players leave to go to other teams because The Family didn't value them.

With all that said, I'm actually in the cautiously optimistic camp. I'm actually excited to see what the new coaching staff will do for the team. I'm looking forward to what awaits us in the draft. I absolutely can't wait for the 2019 season to kickoff. However, for those who are pissed at The Family for once again doing what The Family does, I don't blame them.
Reply/Quote
Here's where I'm at...and people can call me negative:

I see that we have 5-6 positions that need starter upgrades. I see we have around $50 million in cap space.

I see us spending that money on guys that don't move the needle. Hart isn't a good Tackle. And that's $7 million less than we have to spend on someone at another position who would.

For weeks now, I've been saying that the free agent Tackle and Guard market was bad and that we should just draft a Tackle in the 1st Round. Then spend that money elsewhere.

Uzomah is an ok player, but after Eifert got injured our offense fell off a cliff. I would have held that money to spend once the dust settled.

People see the huge contracts of the 1st couple days, but the dust will settle and there will be good players that can be signed for realistic money...IF you still have some to spend.

We signed guys who won't move the needle much to make the team better.

Is it disappointing? Yes. It signals that there isn't some philosophy change after hiring new coaches. It may signal that Katie will run things the same as MB.

But, this is hardly unexpected.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: my problem i I have not heard one statement from Tobin or Taylor in regards to not accepting the mediocrity thats made a home in Cincy the last 3 years.
I havent seen any proof that this franchise is willing to try a new approach in attempt to become more than a 1st RD PLAYOFF EXIT.

Yes. A new coach was a great time to change the culture of the organization. It's more of the same. They will rely on Taylor to be some gameplanning genius...which we saw he wasn't at U of Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: my problem i I have not heard one statement from Tobin or Taylor in regards to not accepting the mediocrity thats made a home in Cincy the last 3 years.

Maybe that's just not Tobin or Taylor's personality... You've never heard Bob Seger make a reggae record either. Old Billy boy up in New England is as monotone, and calm as can be. He doesn't say shit. I'll take his results over John Dorsey every time.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
their is talent on this team. but this franchise is lacking
some players that are a grab you by the throat kinda guys.
look at Baker Mayfield John Dorsey. both are ultra competive guys with personalities to mesh with it.
this team has lost what swagger it did have from 2011 15.
Reply/Quote
I’ll give them a chance but I can already envision myself watching the games next season and blowing a gasket and screaming at the TV when Bobby Hart either goes offsides or gets blown up.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well said.

Well, I disagree. I don't think what Nate said is well said and not backed with any reasons.  He is upset about the off season.  Free Agency starts in 6 hours, so that hasn't happened yet, nor has The Draft.  Still, he is upset with the off season.  So it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.  Had they kept Marvin, people would be upset. They get rid of Marvin and people are upset.  I say the people on here complaining about the off season at this early point, just live on this site complaining just to complain. Complaining just because they like to complain, that is all it is. GO BENGALS. This last place team needed a rebuild.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Basically its down to 4 people for best receiver in football. 2 of the 4 were such headcases they couldn't stay with their original teams the other has trouble scoring TD's and been more nicked up than our guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well said.

OPTIMISTIC BENGALS FAN - Hey, give Zac and Jim a chance!
ZAC & JIM - Bobby Hart is phenomenal!
OPTIMISTIC BENGALS FAN - ....damn it.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 09:24 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: So far everyone is being really negative on the team. I feel we have the best WR in football on our team right now A QB who with the right guidance is better than Goff. A RB who might peak next year to become all pro. A pro bowl caliber number 2 WR A top 10 Defensive line with a mediocre secondary. With a new coach who by default will be better on gameday than what we had by a mile . its not all doom and gloom.

What "new regime" are you referring to? Mike Brown and family members who make up the scouting department are still the ones writing contracts and deciding who gets re-signed and how to value the players.

As far as game day goes, we don't know how Taylor will be. He's going to have to be way better than McVay was in the Super Bowl if he's going to win with the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 11:01 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Basically its down to 4 people for best receiver in football. 2 of the 4 were such headcases they couldn't stay with their original teams the other has trouble scoring TD's  and been more nicked up than our guy.

Keep in mind that Green has played 10 games or less in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Also Green has only had over 1078 receiving yards ONCE in the last 5 seasons. His best years were his 2nd and 3rd year in the league.

I'd say these guys are better:
Julio Jones - 1677 receiving yards last year
Hopkins - 1572 yards
Michael Thomas - 1405 yards
Antonio Brown - 1297 yards

Mike Evans - 1524 yards
OBJ

AJ would be somewhere in this group:
Tyreke Hill - 1479 yards
Smith-Shuster - 1476 yards
Davonte Adams - 1386 yards
Adam Thielan - 1373 Yards
TY Hilton - 1270 Yards
Brandon Cooks - 1204 Yards
Reply/Quote
To be clear this was not a 'regime' change, it was a coaching staff change. The recent overpaid re-signings clearly show that this is business as usual.

The coaching staff gets a 1 year pass to show what they can do but don't expect miracles from the front office. Unless we nail this draft and actually sign a few good free agents we will, at best, continue to be middle of the pack.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:37 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: The draft - Everyone cites the draft as the way to improve the team...and it can be.

But, EVERY TEAM in the NFL drafts and thinks they are going to improve their roster via the draft. And we have the smallest scouting staff in the NFL. It's far from a given that we're pull 1 or 2 starters that make us a lot better.

Take Price for instance. He was one of the worst, if not the worst starting Center in the league last year.

Yeah, without sounding too negative it is a bit notable that we chant the mantra of building through the draft while we have a fake GM for life and an intentionally-small scouting staff.  It's more talk than action, I'll admit.
Reply/Quote