Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glasgow gone

11m a year for a quality stud lineman... I really hate the Bengals more and more every year

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
About done with this franchise. Have arguably the #1 QB since Manning ready to join your team and u cant do one god damn thing to improve your roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 07:07 PM)Okeana Wrote:
11m a year for a quality stud lineman... I really hate the Bengals more and more every year

He wouldn't even come to play football with his Brother when given the chance to be a FA! What a disaster this is....
Reply/Quote
With Glasgow and Conklin gone that takes care of the bulk of the free agent ol market imho. Now sign a lb or cb or yet another wasted off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 07:15 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: With Glasgow and Conklin gone that takes care of the bulk of the free agent ol market imho.  Now sign a lb or cb or yet another wasted off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they view the FA as Defensive heavy signings and the draft as an Offense heavy draft? Who knows?
Reply/Quote
I'm sure Burrow is salivating right now.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Seriously don’t know how I can continue rooting for this organization. “wE aRe gOnNa bE mOrE aCtIvE iN fReE aGeNcY”
Reply/Quote
If they weren't going to pay Zeitler that kind of money, what makes you think they would pay Glasgow that kind of money?
Reply/Quote
Lather, rinse, repeat
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 07:59 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If they weren't going to pay Zeitler that kind of money, what makes you think they would pay Glasgow that kind of money?

It's like they don't realize the cap space has actually increased by ~$10 mill year to year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 08:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's like they don't realize the cap space has actually increased by ~$10 mill year to year.

They need that for injuries, rollovers, and such.
Reply/Quote
We'll make our big FA splash next week with some leftover crumbs lol. Maybe Wolfe will sign. That'd be cool.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 08:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's like they don't realize the cap space has actually increased by ~$10 mill year to year.

Ok, what I'm about to do here will amuse some, and likely piss off some others, but here goes.

A team starts out with $198.2M in total salary cap for this season, correct?

The new NFL minimum, for guys on rookie contracts is $675K, correct?  According to last year's stats, 65% of players were on minimum deals (obviously not all on rookie contracts)  But, for the sake of arguments, let's assume they are all on rookie minimum deals.  The new roster limit it 55, so 65% of 55 players is just under 36, so we'll use 36 as our number.  36 players x $675k = $24.3M, so add to that number the amount of AJ Greens franchise tag, $17.8M, and you get a total of $42.1M.  So far so good.  Then add the estimated $11M for the rookie salary pool, and now were up to $53.1 already spoken for, leaving a whopping $145.1M to spread out over the remaining 19 players that make up the nucleus of your team.

But hey, we have a couple of stars on the defense who make good money..  So, subtract Carlos and Geno's cap hits ($25.2M total) from the total, taking us down to now $119.2M to be spread over 17 starter quality players, leaving an average of $7.05M to spend on each of 17 players that will make up your starting lineup.

Welp, then we have Tyler Boyd's $8.05M cap hit, now down to $111.85M to spread over 16 players, now down to an average of $6.99M left to spend on each of the remaining players.

Oh, and WJ III is going to cost $9.95M this year, so now down to $101.1M to spread over 15 players, leaving an average of $6.74M per player to spend.  Still thinking that you can make a star studded lineup with that remaining money?  Don't forget, you need starter quality players at all of those positions..

Obviously, the numbers work out just a little differently than what I laid out, but you definitely get the idea.  Cap management isn't quite as clear cut and easy as one might think it is.  The Bengals generally honor their contracts, and new cap guidelines are forcing more teams to go the way of the Bengals.  If the Bengals end up adding 2 quality free agents this year, it will be a win for both the team and the fans.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Some stuff from Glasgow's draft profile...

WEAKNESSES Snap-to-step quickness just average. Marginal athlete who plays with heavy feet. Below average at moving his feet and adjusting his path to block moving targets on the second level. Angles to second level blocks need work. Hands get too wide allowing defenders into his frame first on occasion. Shows issues with slow recognition of twists. Was arrested for driving under the influence in March of 2014 and had his probation extended for violation of alcohol during the probation period. Scouts are concerned with his off-­the­-field discipline with more free time available.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3 or 4

BOTTOM LINE Three-year starter who relies on power over athleticism to win his reps. Glasgow’s strength at the point of attack will appeal to power running teams, but his inconsistent connection percentage on second level blocks may worry some teams. Glasgow needs to improve his hands, but he has enough upside to be a quality backup at two positions or maybe an eventual starter.

Just because his brother plays here doesn't mean he's a scheme fit. We run a pin and pull run blocking scheme now. Slow footed maulers at the PoA that have trouble pulling and hitting second level targets aren't what we're looking for.
Reply/Quote
If Scherff and Thunney weren't tagged, then we might have had a shot. Those tags just shot Glasgow's price tag up and Denver was willing to pony up the dough.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 07:07 PM)Okeana Wrote:
11m a year for a quality stud lineman... I really hate the Bengals more and more every yea
elmer fudd will NEVER pay that kind of money for a lineman!!! broken down wide receivers maybe but never a lineman!!!

Reply/Quote
Rough. I am not happy. Don't like this tampering shit. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 08:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, what I'm about to do here will amuse some, and likely piss off some others, but here goes.

The new NFL minimum, for guys on rookie contracts is $675K, correct?  According to last year's stats, 65% of players were on minimum deals (obviously not all on rookie contracts)  But, for the sake of arguments, let's assume they are all on rookie minimum deals.  The new roster limit it 55, so 65% of 55 players is just under 36, so we'll use 36 as our number.  36 players x $675k = $24.3M, so add to that number the amount of AJ Greens franchise tag, $17.8M, and you get a total of $42.1M.  So far so good.  Then add the estimated $11M for the rookie salary pool, and now were up to $53.1 already spoken for, leaving a whopping $145.1M to spread out over the remaining 19 players that make up the nucleus of your team.

But hey, we have a couple of stars on the defense who make good money..  So, subtract Carlos and Geno's cap hits ($25.2M total) from the total, taking us down to now $119.2M to be spread over 17 starter quality players, leaving an average of $7.05M to spend on each of 17 players that will make up your starting lineup.

Welp, then we have Tyler Boyd's $8.05M cap hit, now down to $111.85M to spread over 16 players, now down to an average of $6.99M left to spend on each of the remaining players.

Oh, and WJ III is going to cost $9.95M this year, so now down to $101.1M to spread over 15 players, leaving an average of $6.74M per player to spend.  Still thinking that you can make a star studded lineup with that remaining money?  Don't forget, you need starter quality players at all of those positions..

Obviously, the numbers work out just a little differently than what I laid out, but you definitely get the idea.  Cap management isn't quite as clear cut and easy as one might think it is.  The Bengals generally honor their contracts, and new cap guidelines are forcing more teams to go the way of the Bengals.  If the Bengals end up adding 2 quality free agents this year, it will be a win for both the team and the fans.

I appreciate what you are saying, but let's make it more simple.

Spotrac has the Bengals at $36 million in cap space right now with Dalton still on the roster AND the rookie pool included.

We know Dalton won't be back, so you're looking at $50 million right now.

Explain to me what is NOT clear cut and easy about managing this year's cap.  Not being a dick or attacking you, but it's really easy.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 08:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, what I'm about to do here will amuse some, and likely piss off some others, but here goes.

I get what you are doing, but I think the Bengals are spending too much in certain areas while not spending enough in others. It's causing a lot of mediocre players being overpaid rather than paying high price for elite players and filling the rest with (much) cheaper deals or draft picks.

The Bengals are spending the 2nd most money on WR in the NFL ($37.2 mill). That consists of a WR who hasn't played in over a year and is over 30 years old, a good reliable WR2, an explosive yet unreliable 4th year, and some young late-round guys.

The Bengals are 8th most paid for DBs at $33 mill. How many elite guys? Maybe WJ3 (if he gets back on track)?

The Bengals are last at LB ($2.5 mill).
26th on OL spending ($25.9 mill).
19th on QB ($19.3 mill) but would go down to last if Dalton was cut.
Tied for 15th on RB ($7.3 mill)
16th on TE ($8.6 mill)
13th on DL ($31.6 mill)
Tied for 11th on K/P/LS ($6.7 mill)

What would be the drop-off in production be (if any) if they got rid of some of the middling guys (Dalton, Uzomah, Hart, Miller, Bullock, DK, Bernard) and replaced them with guys on (much) cheaper deals instead?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 05:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get what you are doing, but I think the Bengals are spending too much in certain areas while not spending enough in others. It's causing a lot of mediocre players being overpaid rather than paying high price for elite players and filling the rest with (much) cheaper deals or draft picks.

The Bengals are spending the 2nd most money on WR in the NFL ($37.2 mill). That consists of a WR who hasn't played in over a year and is over 30 years old, a good reliable WR2, an explosive yet unreliable 4th year, and some young late-round guys.

The Bengals are 8th most paid for DBs at $33 mill. How many elite guys? Maybe WJ3 (if he gets back on track)?

The Bengals are last at LB ($2.5 mill).
26th on OL spending ($25.9 mill).
19th on QB ($19.3 mill) but would go down to last if Dalton was cut.
Tied for 15th on RB ($7.3 mill)
16th on TE ($8.6 mill)
13th on DL ($31.6 mill)
Tied for 11th on K/P/LS ($6.7 mill)

What would be the drop-off in production be (if any) if they got rid of some of the middling guys (Dalton, Uzomah, Hart, Miller, Bullock, DK, Bernard) and replaced them with guys on (much) cheaper deals instead?

Agree on many points.  I will add that I don't get Mike Brown's fascination with players that line up furthest from the ball, being the highest priority on his list of people to pay.

I'm kind of old school in the way that I believe that you build a winning team from the "inside out".  Meaning that on offense you want hard-ass interior OL, a couple of tough RBs that can bang and catch the ball, a pair of "bull in the China Shop" TEs with hands of glue.  When you have that, you control the clock and impose your will.  It naturally opens opportunities for players on the edges, who only need to be competent in this offense.

On defense, you want to be strong up the middle and force the action to the edges.  Meaning tough interior DL, emphasis on LBs, and a great pair of Safeties.  If you control the middle of the field, it makes the job of the perimeter defenders so much easier.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote