Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gleanings from the press conference transcript
(01-04-2018, 05:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup.  That guy was such a dumbass.....and arrogant about being one to boot.

Fortunately, he's a problem no more.  I haven't noticed any updates on who they are looking to interview, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fortunately, he's a problem no more.  I haven't noticed any updates on who they are looking to interview, though.

Jim McNally is the name being floated around so far.

Big Willie has been speaking on twitter about wanting to coach O-line but Lazor has said he wants someone with experience.

This is all i have heard.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jim McNally is the name being floated around so far.

Big Willie has been speaking on twitter about wanting to coach O-line but Lazor has said he wants someone with experience.

I can't decide if i would want Willie as our line coach or not? Very good player but that doesn't always translate to coaching. Plus he was glowing about Ced and Fisher last TC.  The only plus about Willie i can think of is he is supposedly McNally's assistant...
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jim McNally is the name being floated around so far.

I'm not sure that either of them are the absolute best solution.  I think that at age 74, coach McNally is well "past his prime" for full time duty, but I wouldn't mind him being used for scouting and consulting resource.  Willie is interesting, it's been well documented about his desire to help the team in any capacity.  People reaching out should not be overlooked.  Even though Willie has no formal coaching experience in the league, I'd like to see him offered some sort of role, perhaps OL quality control?  Gotta start gaining some experience, somewhere.

Might be time to look at the college ranks.  Programs like Wisconsin, Stanford, LSU, and others turn out successful NFL OLmen utilizing a Pro-Style offense.  OL coaches from those type of programs might transition well into the NFL coaching ranks.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that either of them are the absolute best solution.  I think that at age 74, coach McNally is well "past his prime" for full time duty, but I wouldn't mind him being used for scouting and consulting resource.  Willie is interesting, it's been well documented about his desire to help the team in any capacity.  People reaching out should not be overlooked.  Even though Willie has no formal coaching experience in the league, I'd like to see him offered some sort of role, perhaps OL quality control?  Gotta start gaining some experience, somewhere.

Might be time to look at the college ranks.  Programs like Wisconsin, Stanford, LSU, and others turn out successful NFL OLmen utilizing a Pro-Style offense.  OL coaches from those type of programs might transition well into the NFL coaching ranks.

I remember watching Wisconsin play this year and saying to myself the samething. Whoever he is, is damn good at it. Someone yesterday mentioned Army's line coach too.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I can't decide if i would want Willie as our line coach or not? Very good player but that doesn't always translate to coaching. Plus he was glowing about Ced and Fisher last TC.  The only plus about Willie i can think of is he is supposedly McNally's assistant...

Same here but after PA i guess i am not very picky lol

(01-04-2018, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that either of them are the absolute best solution.  I think that at age 74, coach McNally is well "past his prime" for full time duty, but I wouldn't mind him being used for scouting and consulting resource.  Willie is interesting, it's been well documented about his desire to help the team in any capacity.  People reaching out should not be overlooked.  Even though Willie has no formal coaching experience in the league, I'd like to see him offered some sort of role, perhaps OL quality control?  Gotta start gaining some experience, somewhere.

Feel the same way about both McNally and Willie, both would be good to have around but i don't necessarily want
either one to be the head guy right now especially Willie as he has no experience coaching.

Arkansas is another program to look at along with the ones you listed. Wouldn't surprise me if Lazor is looking at
college coaches as i have not seen any names being floated around besides the home guys we have spoken of.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:44 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I remember watching Wisconsin play this year and saying to myself the samething. Whoever he is, is damn good at it. Someone yesterday mentioned Army's line coach too.

Not so sure about ARMY's OL coach being a good consideration for NFL.  They definitely have that run blocking thing down, but how in the hell is he going to have a philosophy on pass blocking?  They average like 4-6 pass attempts per game.  Not only is there such a stark difference in offensive philosophies, but at Army he is dealing with lighter, more athletic linemen.  Those cadets have maximum weight and body mass requirements.

Sure, Alejandro Villanueva is the rare exception, but I think he was actually a receiver at Army.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not so sure about ARMY's OL coach being a good consideration for NFL.  They definitely have that run blocking thing down, but how in the hell is he going to have a philosophy on pass blocking?  They average like 4-6 pass attempts per game.  Not only is there such a stark difference in offensive philosophies, but at Army he is dealing with lighter, more athletic linemen.  Those cadets have maximum weight and body mass requirements.

Sure, Alejandro Villanueva is the rare exception, but I think he was actually a receiver at Army.

Yeah, my response to that post was, we'd have 4 pass attempt a game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not so sure about ARMY's OL coach being a good consideration for NFL.  They definitely have that run blocking thing down, but how in the hell is he going to have a philosophy on pass blocking?  They average like 4-6 pass attempts per game.  Not only is there such a stark difference in offensive philosophies, but at Army he is dealing with lighter, more athletic linemen.  Those cadets have maximum weight and body mass requirements.

Said the same thing when Army was brought up. Not the program i would be looking at lol

Thought Villanueva was a TE at Army but could be wrong.
Reply/Quote
At least it is now safe to draft linemen as it was pointless when they were being coached by Piano Man.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 09:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: At least it is now safe to draft linemen as it was pointless when they were being coached by Piano Man.

Especially Center.

Frank Ragnow C Arkansas
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 02:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: Wow, if you're right about what Bill was referring to, this just reaffirms what a lot of us have said for years.  In fact, it's even worse than I imagined.  How petty and stubborn do you have to be to start fights over doing your job?

I always thought you could just look at the guy and see petulant child written all over him.   That and the fake tough guy aura.  Add to that the goofy statements about the witch hunt, one of the few things he ever said in public and it's defending a guy the whole world knows is bad. 

And the hilarious shit about him assessing linemen based on how easy they could knock his Weeble ass over.  

And the cherry on top is him personally murdering two seasons in a row, for crying out loud.  He's an all around embarrassment.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 10:47 PM)McC Wrote: I always thought you could just look at the guy and see petulant child written all over him.   That and the fake tough guy aura.  Add to that the goofy statements about the witch hunt, one of the few things he ever said in public and it's defending a guy the whole world knows is bad. 

And the hilarious shit about him assessing linemen based on how easy they could knock his Weeble ass over.  

And the cherry on top is him personally murdering two seasons in a row, for crying out loud.  He's an all around embarrassment.

SAW THE SAME EXACT THING FOR YEARS.  Mellow

But hey, PA, hope you do great in your endeavours making pancakes or something....
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 10:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: SAW THE SAME EXACT THING FOR YEARS.  Mellow

But hey, PA, hope you do great in your endeavours making pancakes or something....

Yeah those new opportunities he's out there seeking.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote