Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Glenn at odds with Bengals over concussion
(10-17-2019, 04:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The only thing they CAN'T do is cut him or trade him. He'd get his money, and his wish to be gone, and this move by him would have paid off. That can't be allowed to happen.

I'd rather trade him and get some return and/or try to actually protect Dalton rather than win some argument with yet another disgruntled Bengal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 03:36 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: I think a couple of month ago, Glenn decided that he did not want to play football this year, but that he wanted to get paid for playing football.  And this self reported concussion is the excuse he came up with to get off of the field.
This exactly what I've been thinking for a while now...

Glenn is done. Got his little feelers hurt when Johna Williams got hurt and they moved him inside to guard....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Put him on IR then cut him in the off-season. This team makes zero sense sometimes and less than that more times.
I can't really blame anyone for wanting out at this point.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Reward him for quitting on the team!? NEVERRRRR!!!!  I don't care how many times Dalton has to eat the turf, we aren't trading him!  Hopefully Dalton takes an even MORE team-friendly deal next time.

As bad as this team is and as screwed up as it is, we need to trade the guys that are disgruntled and not helping. 

Gio makes a speech after the 6th loss to help moral, so there are still guys who care and want to play. We've been without Glenn all along, so why not continue to be without but at least get a return for him? 

He retires, we get nothing. He leaves in FA we get a wonderful comp pick that will waste on a blocking TE....

We dump him for a pick, we can still waste it on a blocking TE but in a higher round.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 8 weeks for a self reported concussion, gets cleared by an independent doctor, and now complaining about being rushed back/wants cut?

There's nothing wrong with getting healthy (I wanted AJ on the IR so he'd come back 100%) but this was an issue in Buffalo, and now it's a huge issue here with Glenn.

The team needs to suspend him for the longest they can, give him the largest fine they can. Dude doesn't want to play football, so they should not want to pay him. It's clearly the only thing he cares about. See about getting some of that 8 weeks of paychecks back too, if he's malingering.

The only thing they CAN'T do is cut him or trade him. He'd get his money, and his wish to be gone, and this move by him would have paid off. That can't be allowed to happen.

Exactly this. Too many of these pansy ass shitheads are getting rewarded for their recalcitrance. These guys are paid too much freaking money to be allowed to get away with this, and the Bengals are already such a large part of everything that is wrong with the NFL - let us not be a catalyst to furthering this nonsense. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Yeah, this isn't a situation like Ben Utecht that took multiple huge hits and had something like 5 known concussions and potentially many more undiagnosed ones.

If this was bad enough for him to retire, then I feel he retires or makes it known to the franchise that he's gonna end up doing it.

That way he isn't wasting the time of the fans, his teammates and the organization/coaches.

This looks like a he wanted the paycheck, but none of the play.

The team has generally never questioned Boling, Westerman or any other player that has retired over fear of injuries.

A contract dispute? Yes. Palmer's "retirement"? Yes.

The fact that they fined him, makes me think that they believe he was playing them.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd rather trade him and get some return and/or try to actually protect Dalton rather than win some argument with yet another disgruntled Bengal.

You're my boy, blue, but I disagree.

We're going to have a lot of less than gruntled players here during this rebuild. We cannot set a precedent that this sort of thing is not only okay, but will work. We'll never be successful. 

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 03:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: More and more what it's pointing to. I say cut bait.  Here's another story on it....

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/17/bengals-fined-cordy-glenn-concussion-cut/?fbclid=IwAR0ZIe1DajjL08LCJJxIyvMtDxd9WM8SsxhzvFKrQD66KTxUwqpa9y4zQHc

Not to be that "I told ya so" guy, but I was lobbying hard for the Bengals to dump him this past offseason and reinvest the money saved on another offensive lineman..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh he wants to play football...just not here.

That's a risk of a trade. You trade for a guy that doesn't want to be on your team.

He didn't want to play football in Buffalo. He didn't want to play football in Cincinnati.

He doesn't want to play football.

He just wants to get paid to be on a football roster.

(10-17-2019, 04:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd rather trade him and get some return and/or try to actually protect Dalton rather than win some argument with yet another disgruntled Bengal.

I don't think you're going to get much for a guy who has malingered his way off two teams in a row. Even less so when he was bad in 2018 and hasn't taken a snap in 2019.

You'll get what, a 7th that could be turned into a 6th conditionally? He's still owed like $13.5m or so through the end of 2020, after all.

Meanwhile you're showing that malingering pays off to the tune of $18.75m and getting off an 0-6 team. That's not a good message to send to your locker room for a 6th or 7th round pick that if you use on an OL will turn into Reggie Stephens, TJ Johnson, or Rod Taylor-caliber players.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:39 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: You're my boy, blue, but I disagree.

We're going to have a lot of less than gruntled players here during this rebuild. We cannot set a precedent that this sort of thing is not only okay, but will work. We'll never be successful. 

Meh, I figure we should do things to make players not want to leave rather than devising some plan where we can punish players for wanting to leave.  The precedent has been set.

THere is a reason AB blowing his chance with the Patriots is viewed as mental illness to the max and anyone wanting out of Cincy is "business as usual."
Reply/Quote
Until there is some quality medical evidence to back up why he has been out this long from a self reported concussion after a game in which no one can single out the play it happened, he has been basically a fraud up to this point soaking in the money.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't think you're going to get much for a guy who has malingered his way off two teams in a row. Even less so when he was bad in 2018 and hasn't taken a snap in 2019.

You'll get what, a 7th that could be turned into a 6th conditionally? He's still owed like $13.5m or so through the end of 2020, after all.

Meanwhile you're showing that malingering pays off to the tune of $18.75m and getting off an 0-6 team. That's not a good message to send to your locker room for a 6th or 7th round pick that if you use on an OL will turn into Reggie Stephens, TJ Johnson, or Rod Taylor-caliber players.

Ehh, fair enough.  I"m sure sticking it to Cordy Glenn is going to make people wake up and realize they can't push the mighty Bengals around.
Reply/Quote
There were hints of this in Buffalo AND he has been (from eye test) incredibly soft in the run game; how many 6'5+, 340 pound tackles are soft in the run game?

Could be the man just doesn't have a passion for the game of football.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: There were hints of this in Buffalo AND he has been (from eye test) incredibly soft in the run game; how many 6'5+, 340 pound tackles are soft in the run game?

It doesn't look good, but the guy has played for the Bills and the Bengals, so who knows.  This is like saying a guy who has only listened to Yoko Ono and Andrew Ridgeley albums has no passion for music.

But hey, our front office winning a staring contest with Cordy Glenn may be the biggest victory of the 2019 season, so I say go for it.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I figure we should do things to make players not want to leave rather than devising some plan where we can punish players for wanting to leave.  The precedent has been set.

THere is a reason AB blowing his chance with the Patriots is viewed as mental illness to the max and anyone wanting out of Cincy is "business as usual."

You can't punish people for wanting to leave. That's a bit of a false equivocation when compared with this situation. 

You can punish people for refusing to play. For faking injury and then refusing to return to play when healthy just because the team ain't the Patriots or because the guy doesn't like Cincinnati Chili.

If we allow these kinds of players to pout their way out of town, this will start happening a lot more frequently. And we cannot rebuild a team just by saying things like "we should do things to make players not want to leave." 

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He didn't want to play football in Buffalo. He didn't want to play football in Cincinnati.

He doesn't want to play football.

He just wants to get paid to be on a football roster.

I don't think you're going to get much for a guy who has malingered his way off two teams in a row. Even less so when he was bad in 2018 and hasn't taken a snap in 2019.

I would normally agree but he plays a position of need around the league. This isn't a diva WR or RB or even a DB, this is guy who has been an All-Pro Left Tackle.

If you want to know how desperate teams are for guys on the O-line, keep these two facts in mind.

1) Richie Incognito is still in the league and starting.... yeah the nutjob, psycho who wanted to decapitate his Father's corpse has a job.

2) Cedric Ogbuehi - Is still on an NFL roster, we will see him Sunday actually.

Those two examples alone say that someone is giving you a pick for a guy who can start at LT. The season is lost, stockpile picks.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:48 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: You can't punish people for wanting to leave. That's a bit of a false equivocation when compared with this situation. 

You can punish people for refusing to play. For faking injury and then refusing to return to play when healthy just because the team ain't the Patriots or because the guy doesn't like Cincinnati Chili.

If we allow these kinds of players to pout their way out of town, this will start happening a lot more frequently. And we cannot rebuild a team just by saying things like "we should do things to make players not want to leave." 

Ehh, I don't entirely disagree I'm mostly just procrastinating here.  Let's see...if he's faking it then sue the guy for fraud and let's make a statement.  And saying that making players not want to leave is something we can't do is a bit of a "meh" from me because we are 0-6 and have the crappiest owner, the crappiest GM, and probably the most detestable o-line coach in the NFL so maybe we could try to scale some of the misery back before we declare it hopeless.

At any rate, we can all hope that shaming Cordy Glenn will unite the team and inspire them to hoist the Lombardi right up his arse out of spite.  Do I feel a "getting much better" montage coming on?
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: There were hints of this in Buffalo AND he has been (from eye test) incredibly soft in the run game; how many 6'5+, 340 pound tackles are soft in the run game?

I thought he tried to pull something like this in Buffalo.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 04:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Reward him for quitting on the team!? NEVERRRRR!!!!  I don't care how many times Dalton has to eat the turf, we aren't trading him!  Hopefully Dalton takes an even MORE team-friendly deal next time.

That's what we said about Carson Palmer. But then we traded for a 1st round pick! And that pick got us *checks notes* ...Dre Kirkpatrick...

Yea, you're right. Don't give this guy the satisfaction  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 05:02 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's what we said about Carson Palmer. But then we traded for a 1st round pick! And that pick got us *checks notes* ...Dre Kirkpatrick...

Yea, you're right. Don't give this guy the satisfaction  Ninja

In all fairness, trading Palmer just made it so the detour to AZ and semi relevance involved 2 years in Oakland rather than 2 years on his couch.  I think we got the last laugh on that one.
Reply/Quote