Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Glenn still under concussion protocol
(09-12-2019, 02:40 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Trent Williams is looking pretty intriguing...

We won't do it, but a guy can dream right?

The issue is the Redskins won't do it. Bruce Allen has basically shot down any team calling about him. In the end we need to weather a couple months as it seems Jonah could be back this year, so i'm not really interested in giving up a ton for Trent Williams and having to pay him a ton.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 09:49 AM)Earendil Wrote: Maybe Glenn isn't the only one with a concussion?

That was exactly my first thought!
Reply/Quote
is Anthony Collins still in the league? I mean I see marshall newhouse still bouncing around
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 06:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I knew he couldn't be counted on for a full 16 games.. But come on man. I knew he was a slow healer...

Time to start blocking with the hands instead of the head.

I don't recall ever seeing it. I don't doubt he got one. But it was self reported. At what point does it become malingering? If he lost passion and is just hanging around to collect on that fat ass contract he probably wouldn't be the first NFL player to do so. Not everybody pulls the Andrew Luck or Clint Boling.

I coached when a concussion was suck it up and get out there.. sorry it was wrong then and it is wrong now.. look at what players are dealing with after football.. get used to a prolonged protocol and in the end be happy for it as a true fan... sorry but a low blow when dealing with concussions...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 02:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: The issue is the Redskins won't do it. Bruce Allen has basically shot down any team calling about him. In the end we need to weather a couple months as it seems Jonah could be back this year, so i'm not really interested in giving up a ton for Trent Williams and having to pay him a ton.

Someone reportedly offered a 1st for him, and they still wouldn't move him.  He's not going anywhere until maybe the off season next year.
Reply/Quote
Scott Kooistra is just two months older than Whitworth.

What is he up to these days?

Dennis Roland is 2 years YOUNGER than Whit.

I'm sure Mike still has his number.
Reply/Quote
Would like him back at least for depth at LT and LG.

Never had a concussion, but this seems like a long time to me.

Think Andre should start regardless. Better run blocker.
Reply/Quote
For such the fantastic deal that everyone thought Cordy Glenn was, when we took him off the Bills' hands, he sure has turned into quite an expensive lawn decoration. At least he keeps the furniture from blowing away..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 01:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For such the fantastic deal that everyone thought Cordy Glenn was, when we took him off the Bills' hands, he sure has turned into quite an expensive lawn decoration.  At least he keeps the furniture from blowing away..

Tough part about sports, you can;t control injuries.. we can start putting a laundry list of players traded that then were hurt and did not play much or a player signs a nice contract and then get hurt... 

We need to get used to being out a bit longer with concussions in today's game
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 02:58 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tough part about sports, you can;t control injuries.. we can start putting a laundry list of players traded that then were hurt and did not play much or a player signs a nice contract and then get hurt... 

We need to get used to being out a bit longer with concussions in today's game

They knew that Glenn had injury history when they took him.  They also could have released him for minimal cap hit, and reinvested that money into a different Tackle.  Situations like this one, are why so many get agitated with the Bengals complacency when it comes to free agency and outside player acquisitions.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 07:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Scott Kooistra is just two months older than Whitworth.

What is he up to these days?

Dennis Roland is 2 years YOUNGER than Whit.

I'm sure Mike still has his number.

someone get #74 in here now....  lol

I don't think Kooistra held up as well as whit.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 04:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They knew that Glenn had injury history when they took him.  They also could have released him for minimal cap hit, and reinvested that money into a different Tackle.  Situations like this one, are why so many get agitated with the Bengals complacency when it comes to free agency and outside player acquisitions.

When your Projected LT goes down for the season potentially you don't just cut his backup   doubt anyone figured this concussion would last this long
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 01:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For such the fantastic deal that everyone thought Cordy Glenn was, when we took him off the Bills' hands, he sure has turned into quite an expensive lawn decoration.  At least he keeps the furniture from blowing away..

it was fantasic at the time  bengals needed OL help and made a trade to get it...

It hasn't worked out as expected but that's hinesight.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 04:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: When your Projected LT goes down for the season potentially you don't just cut his backup   doubt anyone figured this concussion would last this long

I'm talking about well in advance of the draft, back when free agency first opened for the season.

(09-13-2019, 04:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: it was fantasic at the time  bengals needed OL help and made a trade to get it...

It hasn't worked out as expected but that's hinesight.

Hindsight or not, was it really a fantastic deal?  Sure, we picked up a name that everyone knew, who had solid experience at the LT position.  However, if you reflect back to that same time period, there were plenty of voices on this very board who were wary of his injury history.  Then, he did end up getting injured in the second half of the season, an injury very similar to his previous ones.  Forward to the "dead zone", that time between the end of the season and free agency, plenty of us were suggesting that Cordy Glenn could have been released for minimal impact on the cap, and that money reinvested into richer material.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm talking about well in advance of the draft, back when free agency first opened for the season.

Hindsight or not, was it really a fantastic deal?  Sure, we picked up a name that everyone knew, who had solid experience at the LT position.  However, if you reflect back to that same time period, there were plenty of voices on this very board who were wary of his injury history.  Then, he did end up getting injured in the second half of the season, an injury very similar to his previous ones.  Forward to the "dead zone", that time between the end of the season and free agency, plenty of us were suggesting that Cordy Glenn could have been released for minimal impact on the cap, and that money reinvested into richer material.

well until they drafted Williams glenn was definitely a need then they had the boiling issue im sure they knew about but we didn't so they pegged him as a OG...  so I can understand holding on to him.

Overall using hinesight no it wasn't a great deal at the time though we only moved back a few spots in the draft and still got the Center most of us wanted.  so to do that and add a Starting LT was a good deal at the time. imo.   While he had injury concerns there wasn't a lot out there to go grab at the time we got him.  at a time when we were all screaming for OL help they seemingly locked down 2 spots in one swoop.

But it hasn't worked out for us very much at all except that Cedric is gone lol...     
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well until they drafted Williams glenn was definitely a need then they had the boiling issue im sure they knew about but we didn't so they pegged him as a OG...  so I can understand holding on to him.

Overall using hinesight no it wasn't a great deal at the time though we only moved back a few spots in the draft and still got the Center most of us wanted.  so to do that and add a Starting LT was a good deal at the time. imo.   While he had injury concerns there wasn't a lot out there to go grab at the time we got him.  at a time when we were all screaming for OL help they seemingly locked down 2 spots in one swoop.

But it hasn't worked out for us very much at all except that Cedric is gone lol...     

You're not wrong, at all.  I'm just thinking that they should have looked at Cordy Glenn as a one year rental, and not a guy to keep on the team at his salary.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2019, 01:33 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Mike Brown has been in the protocol since 1991

LMAO  LMAO

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 04:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: Cordy might need to consider retirement. This is far more serious then they let on.

I disagree, had an athlete that was out 2 months came back fine for next 2 yrs
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2019, 05:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're not wrong, at all.  I'm just thinking that they should have looked at Cordy Glenn as a one year rental, and not a guy to keep on the team at his salary.

He was kind of a panic move or desperation move.

In his prime, he was a top 10 tackle...and maybe they thought he'd get healthy and regain that. But he never did.

It's interesting that it's a concussion now, as most of his injuries seemed to be related to his size like foot issues, etc.
Reply/Quote
Coach Taylor on Glenn, said the problem with concussions is there is no time table on when they heal.

He said Michael Jordan will miss some playing time

He says Andre Smith should be ready to play. Price could get the start with Jordan out.

It is Wednesday morning. This team could use getting Glenn back, especially with top pick Williams out most or all season.

As for Price, this could be Opportunity knocking at the door for the top pick to get out there and prove he belongs in the NFL. The hype was this could be Bengals Center and Pro Bowler next 10 years, but rookie injuries got him off to a bad start as with most Bengals draft picks. Hoping he turns it around as top pick Ross is doing once healthy. Bengals could use some O Line help and Price redeeming himself as Ross has could help.

Getting Glenn back would be huge at Left Tackle. When is the problem.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote