Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glenn suspended one game by the team....
Has Glenn announced he plans to play for 3 and outs and QB sack records for defensive linemen yet?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 01:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If you want to truly punish Cordy Glenn don’t suspend him or fine him. Make him actually play.

Only way this works is if you make him play QB or RB.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 01:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Generally a suspension voids any future guarantees in a contract.

I think this is just a step in the process to save money wasted on this guy. Lots of it

There are no future guarantees in the money as this is the final year. His base salary which is the only real money he is due is fully guaranteed and this has no impact on that other than the specific game checks he misses under suspension.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 01:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Fred, if he continues to be disruptive, then wouldn't the team have merit with their suspensions? 

I have no idea what justifies a suspension under the union contract, but right now he is apparently not even showing up.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea what justifies a suspension under the union contract, but right now he is apparently not even showing up.

I gotcha.....if he's not showing up at all, then it seems the team would have a leg to stand on regarding week by week suspensions.  I'd hope they're already actively looking to trade him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 12:57 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What's the point of trying to force him to play?
If they let him on the field, he will barely try and end up getting a team mate hurt.

Suspend every week.

Who said a word about forcing him to play??  I was merely pointing toward the idea that in spite of managements lack of football decision making prowress, they seem quite skillful and knowledgeable of the ins and outs of contract law.

As in, I agree with you.  I hope they suspend him game by game, for the rest of the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 02:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: There are no future guarantees in the money as this is the final year. His base salary which is the only real money he is due is fully guaranteed and this has no impact on that other than the specific game checks he misses under suspension.

Sportrac says different.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cordy-glenn-9851/

5 yr $60 million ('16-'20)

Only amount guaranteed was signing bonus and first two years salary.

His base salary for this year ($7.25M) is not guaranteed, but if they cut him while he is out with injury he gets full amount.

Each game suspension costs him 1/17th of that amount or $426K.  

His 2020 roster bonus and base salary amount to $9.5M.  None of that is guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sportrac says different.

His base salary for this year ($7.25M) is not guaranteed, but if they cut him while he is out with injury he gets full amount.

His 2020 roster bonus and base salary amount to $9.5M.  None of that is guaranteed.

I presume that's why he wanted cut.....now he's screwed, because he's been cleared.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 01:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If you want to truly punish Cordy Glenn don’t suspend him or fine him. Make him actually play.

Yes but, unfortunately, at the expense of getting other players hurt...
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 12:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: I have zero belief that he'll play a down this season. However, I just read that if they cut him, they have to pay the entire 9.25 million to him to go sit on the couch. My guess this a warning shot across the bow. They can suspend him and not pay him for this weekend, I think, someone may want to verify that. So, he may just wind up suspended all year, but they're not gonna pay him to sit on his candy ass.  Ball's in his court. 

Also, with zero discipline in the matter, you'd be setting a bad precedent.

They'll probably suspend him for this game, reinstate him for next game and when he doesn't show up to play, fine and suspend him again...creating a "paper trail" of incidents that show his conduct to be detrimental and therefore, his contract voided. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Meaning that he has already been paid $4.81M thus far, and another $4.69M possible, should he be available for every game the rest of the year?  Or, am I reading that wrong?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 02:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They'll probably suspend him for this game, reinstate him for next game and when he doesn't show up to play, fine and suspend him again...creating a "paper trail" of incidents that show his conduct to be detrimental and therefore, his contract voided. 

Sounds about right, I'm holding out hope they can trade him within the week, but not holding my breath.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 02:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meaning that he has already been paid $4.81M thus far, and another $4.69M possible, should he be available for every game the rest of the year?  Or, am I reading that wrong?

Right.  Still has $4.69M left this year that is not guaranteed.

$9.5M next year.

No team will trade for that contract if they think we will cut him.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 02:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  Still has $4.69M left this year that is not guaranteed.

$9.5M next year.

No team will trade for that contract if they think we will cut him.

Last sentence is a very good point I hadn't considered. We probably won't get a thing in return for him. Might as well suspend him as long as you can.

Reply/Quote
What an awesome season this is turning out to be. NFL is entertainment so despite the record the Bengals have been quite the show this year. Can’t wait to see what happens next.
Like a bad car crash that you don’t really want to see but for some reason you can’t look away.
Reply/Quote

His base salary this year is fully guaranteed per being on the roster for week 1 as a vested veteran. Had he been cut prior to week 1 it would have been true it would not have been guaranteed, however we would have incurred a 2 million dollar cap penalty for the acceleration of his guaranteed money. This is why you will see vets get cut then resigned after week 1.  

Correct there is nothing guaranteed after this year, I thought this was his last year but either way still no future money to void.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 03:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: His base salary this year is fully guaranteed per being on the roster for week 1 as a vested veteran. 

I had not thought of this.

I guess Antonio Brown had some special clause in his contract that allowed the Raiders to get out of the rest of this years contract when they released him.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I had not thought of this.

I guess Antonio Brown had some special clause in his contract that allowed the Raiders to get out of the rest of this years contract when they released him.

Brown was cut before the deadline for week 1 and wasn't officially signed by Patriots until week 2, which again makes the whole episode bizarre. Brown is fighting that his signing bonus and those guarantees he is due, but his vested veteran termination pay really isn't being debated.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 03:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Brown was cut before the deadline for week 1 and wasn't officially signed by Patriots until week 2, 

Again I had forgotten about that.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 03:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Again I had forgotten about that.

That's fair, most people want to forget all about that whole saga. 
Reply/Quote