Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glier's Goetta question
(02-28-2018, 01:14 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I have yet to try Gliers bacon goetta, but I have fried goetta with a couple of hickory cured bacon strips, and it is really good. Really good.

Another fun thing to do with goetta is make Scotch eggs using goetta instead of regular sausage. Not something I do more often than once or twice a year 'cause I hate the cleanup required when using the deep fryer. But I'm always happy with the finished product.

It’s awesome with mozzarella.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:14 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I have yet to try Gliers bacon goetta, but I have fried goetta with a couple of hickory cured bacon strips, and it is really good. Really good.

Another fun thing to do with goetta is make Scotch eggs using goetta instead of regular sausage. Not something I do more often than once or twice a year 'cause I hate the cleanup required when using the deep fryer. But I'm always happy with the finished product.

I have to admit, I had to look up what a Scotch egg was.  It sounds amazingly delicious!  I'll bet even more so with the goetta.  

Haven't seen goetta at any of my local stores, here in NC.  But, I'm betting that I can find it, somewhere..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have to admit, I had to look up what a Scotch egg was.  It sounds amazingly delicious!  I'll bet even more so with the goetta.  

Haven't seen goetta at any of my local stores, here in NC.  But, I'm betting that I can find it, somewhere..

Scotch eggs are typically pub grub, served with mustard and a pint or two. I last had some that way last summer at a brewpub in St. Louis. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:01 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Scotch eggs are typically pub grub, served with mustard and a pint or two. I last had some that way last summer at a brewpub in St. Louis. 

Pub grub, eh?  One of those, with a Bloody Mary should have all the nutrition needed to stand a good day of drinkin'.   Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pub grub, eh?  One of those, with a Bloody Mary should have all the nutrition needed to stand a good day of drinkin'.   Cool
Yep! All major food groups are there!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:15 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yep! All major food groups are there!

There isn't a Kroger's in every town, down here.  However, NC is the Nation's largest Pork producing State.  One of our producers has to make a similar product, they couldn't ignore an opportunity to get a leg up on the competitors.  Some of the local brands are just fantastic quality of meat.  For example, I used to think that Jimmy Dean was about as good as breakfast sausage could get, until I tried Neese's and Bass Farm.  That is high praise, coming from a guy that came from the home of Bob Evans (Rio Grande Oh.).  Spoiler secret, only folks local to Gallia Co. Oh. know that the best sausage in the Evans family is actually made by Bob's cousin, Steve Evans.

If you ever find yourself in that area, I suggest trying and buying some Steve Evans Sausage.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There isn't a Kroger's in every town, down here.  However, NC is the Nation's largest Pork producing State.  One of our producers has to make a similar product, they couldn't ignore an opportunity to get a leg up on the competitors.  Some of the local brands are just fantastic quality of meat.  For example, I used to think that Jimmy Dean was about as good as breakfast sausage could get, until I tried Neese's and Bass Farm.  That is high praise, coming from a guy that came from the home of Bob Evans (Rio Grande Oh.).  Spoiler secret, only folks local to Gallia Co. Oh. know that the best sausage in the Evans family is actually made by Bob's cousin, Steve Evans.

If you ever find yourself in that area, I suggest trying and buying some Steve Evans Sausage.

I doubt that goetta gets to your neck of the woods.  Much more of a regional thing, scrapple being its PA cousin.

Just buy it direct and have it delivered.  You'll be glad you did.  
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There isn't a Kroger's in every town, down here.  However, NC is the Nation's largest Pork producing State.  One of our producers has to make a similar product, they couldn't ignore an opportunity to get a leg up on the competitors.  Some of the local brands are just fantastic quality of meat.  For example, I used to think that Jimmy Dean was about as good as breakfast sausage could get, until I tried Neese's and Bass Farm.  That is high praise, coming from a guy that came from the home of Bob Evans (Rio Grande Oh.).  Spoiler secret, only folks local to Gallia Co. Oh. know that the best sausage in the Evans family is actually made by Bob's cousin, Steve Evans.

it is a German thing, so may want to check somewhere that has German food

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:15 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yep! All major food groups are there!

Truth, especially in the Irish pubs 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 09:01 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Scotch eggs are typically pub grub, served with mustard and a pint or two. I last had some that way last summer at a brewpub in St. Louis. 

Those look pretty good. Although beer w/eggs makes my stomach hurt already.

Reply/Quote
Goetta stuffed jalapeno poppers. 

[Image: 0844f6c25fca193f027225b03667b841.jpg]

http://cookingwithcaitlin.com/recipes/goetta-stuffed-jalapeno-poppers   Smirk

Reply/Quote
Being a vegan now I'm gonna miss goetta, but oh well . To the rest of you, enjoy . It's good stuff even if it might clog your arteries.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote