Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Gnaw on this disrespect Bengal fans
ESPN simulation predicts the Bengals get blown out, 37-9, this Monday night. I have mad respect for the Bills but a 28 point win? Hoping for a great game and a win but, regardless, the Bengals are in the playoffs and the future is now. Who Dey!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35330806/predicting-nfl-playoff-picture-espn-football-power-index-projects-weeks-17-18-division-races-wild-card-hunts
Reply/Quote
Las Vegas ain't taking that bet on a dare..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 09:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: Las Vegas ain't taking that bet on a dare..

You got that right. I would put my house down on that bet. And, even if I lost, I have a great story to tell to my fellow homeless compatriots on my way to the soup kitchen.
Reply/Quote
LOL they also have the Raiders beating the 49ers, I doubt that, a lot.
Reply/Quote
Don't hate us because we're beautiful ESPN.. We actually wash ourselves..Well, most of us do anyway. Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Meh, they made a lot of crap predictions. Raiders beating the Niners? Sure, whatever. They have the crap Bears clobbering the Lions after said Bears have dropped eight in a row and are 0-4 in the NFCN. Clickbait to the nth degree.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I can't even get upset at this it is so ridiculously ludicrous. It is more laughable than anything.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Quote:Walder explained why he pulled this exact simulation in the piece.

"Using ESPN's Football Power Index (FPI), we determined the most likely seed combination in each conference. We then picked a single simulation that yielded that pure chalk playoff seeding to forecast scores for each game and simulate the postseason. There's a 9% chance the NFC seeds are in the exact order that's written below, and there's a 12% chance of the same occurring for the AFC. That might not sound like a lot, but it's a fairly high probability for an exact hit; both numbers are higher than when we did this exercise last season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/espn-model-projects-bengals-to-get-blown-out-by-buffalo-win-afc-north

Basically, they just ran a bunch of simulations to come up with the odds of how each playoff seeding would play out. Then, they just picked a single simulation that matched what their simulations considered the most likely situation.

That single simulation happened to have the Bengals getting blown out.

This isn't a projection of each individual game as much as it was a projection of what the end result of the next two weeks will be, and they used the scores from a single simulation in which that projection happened to occur.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 08:56 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: ESPN simulation predicts the Bengals get blown out, 37-9, this Monday night. I have mad respect for the Bills but a 28 point win? Hoping for a great game and a win but, regardless, the Bengals are in the playoffs and the future is now. Who Dey!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35330806/predicting-nfl-playoff-picture-espn-football-power-index-projects-weeks-17-18-division-races-wild-card-hunts

I could see the other way around.   Ninja
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Bills are -1! This again proves the cluelessness of ESPN! They are owned by Disney!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
I guarantee that whoever made that bet would not put any cash on it. Predictions like this are silly…basically a shot in the dark, and it has no more weight than any random dude’s 30 point Bengals blowout prediction. Pay it no mind.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Little do they know that the game will end 124 - 3 Bengals. We will have 7 safeties too.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 12:59 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This isn't a projection of each individual game as much as it was a projection of what the end result of the next two weeks will be, and they used the scores from a single simulation in which that projection happened to occur.

So it doesn't mean what seems and they know that.   But they went ahead and wrote a story implying that it does anyway just to get clicks.  Yeah, that's pretty much corporate media in a nutshell.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 03:54 AM)Roland Wrote: So it doesn't mean what seems and they know that.   But they went ahead and wrote a story implying that it does anyway just to get clicks.  Yeah, that's pretty much corporate media in a nutshell.

I don't blame them for it. After all, it worked like a charm. 

Clicks are currency and the way our country (and, for the most part, world) is structured, profit is more important than anything else. 

As they say, don't hate the player, hate the game.
Reply/Quote
After the Bengals win the Super Bowl they’ll still be fifth in the power rankings!
Reply/Quote
NFL.com's preview video has all but 2 analysts choosing the Bengals, so i dunno. I know we all want our teams to be an underdog and win anyway, but ESPN is just one predection.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 02:55 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Little do they know that the game will end 124 - 3 Bengals. We will have 7 safeties too.

Might as well throw something like this out there with this craziness. Only way we lose like that is if something really bad happened.
Reply/Quote
I didn't know Marvin Lewis was coaching this game Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 09:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: LOL they also have the Raiders beating the 49ers, I doubt that, a lot.

hahahahahah\

hahahhahaha
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 09:07 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: LOL they also have the Raiders beating the 49ers, I doubt that, a lot.

Falcons 22, Cardinals 21
Giants 34, Colts 0
Patriots 13, Dolphins 10
Buccaneers 24, Panthers 21

Some point differentials weren't that far off.
Reply/Quote