Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GoFundMe Build the Wall
(05-30-2019, 12:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Funny how the Mayor of EP would be so against it. Guess it's hurting his campaign money if drug runners/human trafficking is slowed down.

Funny how a mayor wants to ensure the town approves the construction and is properly remunerated, as all municipalities do with building permits.  But probably drugs and hookers like you said.

(05-30-2019, 12:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I wonder if they were able to buy enough to close the gap in the walls that's already there completely?

Funny how they don't mention details like this.  Probably need to stay 'under the radar' so the deep state can't foul up the gears of progress.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-29-2019, 08:51 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Fascinating. All those poor people donating to millionnaires to build a wall out of their fears.

Easy scam.

Still billions needed brothers. If I was a cynical dude, I would immediatly make a fake gofundme and retire in a sunny place.

(05-30-2019, 11:49 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Evangelicals have been doing it for decades.

(05-30-2019, 12:03 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: [Image: fpHSS86.gif]

LOL they've made their fair share.

They do good things and of course have some greedy people as well.
As long as their is a human element involved, there's always room for corruption.

Just like I expect the GoFundMe guy to skim some by paying himself a salary for managing the funds.

And no I did not donate to it originally, I figured it was a scam. 
I mean seriously, who pays $40k for a Wheaties flake that's shaped like the Pope's hat or the state of Illinois? Too many crazies out there.

Now I might be willing to accept bids for a temp tattoo for advertisement on my forehead Tongue Saw 1 guy got paid 40k for that.
(05-30-2019, 10:52 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Careful there. You're starting to sound like a libertarian.  Ninja

Social libertarian might be the best term to describe me. I'm just also ok with using taxes to provide public services that I value.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-30-2019, 12:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm guessing your question is rhetorical?

If not then why does the government need to purchase the land in order to put a wall up?

Funny how the Mayor of EP would be so against it. Guess it's hurting his campaign money if drug runners/human trafficking is slowed down.

I wonder if they were able to buy enough to close the gap in the walls that's already there completely?

They could use their money more effectively if they built the wall on a section of land the US had already purchased in anticipation of building the wall as I doubt Trump would punish them for building a border wall on US property.  Or at least give them a pardon.

So Trump has a plan to build a wall along the border since before he was inaugurated, but they haven't even purchased any of the land to build even a small section of the wall, yet?

Usually when Trump is serious about building a golf course he goes out and buys a fake battlefield in anticipation of building a golf course and puts up a plaque commemorating the fake battle that never took place there.
(05-29-2019, 07:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: These “law abiding” citizens are setting a good example for the “lawless” immigrants they are trying to keep out.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEHn_BPIUPEahtpVnNc8jG2sqGQgEKhAIACoHCAow77zbCjDiq8wBMNiCsgU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Yeah, I mean, I know the section was a publicity stunt to say "look what we can do" but seems like just a giant waste of money. The chances are high they're going to be ordered to take it down.

(05-30-2019, 08:13 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If someone wants to build a fence on their private property, I don't see why they can't. Seems like a waste of money, but it's theirs to waste.

According to Yojimbo's link, the fence violates building ordinances. So... they can't.
(05-30-2019, 12:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: They could use their money more effectively if they built the wall on a section of land the US had already purchased in anticipation of building the wall as I doubt Trump would punish them for building a border wall on US property.  Or at least give them a pardon.

So Trump has a plan to build a wall along the border since before he was inaugurated, but they haven't even purchased any of the land to build even a small section of the wall, yet?

Usually when Trump is serious about building a golf course he goes out and buys a fake battlefield in anticipation of building a golf course and puts up a plaque commemorating the fake battle that never took place there.

Good Point and I'm sure there is already land owned along the border before Trump was elected.

This has been an ongoing project for several Presidents (not just Trump).
Could be that the people that own it are more willing to sell to a non-Government entity as well. Bannon did say that once the wall is completed he's turning it over to the CBP.
(05-30-2019, 12:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Funny how the Mayor of EP would be so against it. Guess it's hurting his campaign money if drug runners/human trafficking is slowed down.

Or maybe he realizes it:
1- Doesn't solve the problem as people will go over/under/around.
2- Lowers property values because nobody likes living on Rancho Del Folsom.
3- Will encourage a group that pays taxes, works at lower wages, is generally religious and commits crime at lower rates to go to a neighboring town where there isn't a fence.
(05-30-2019, 12:42 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: They could use their money more effectively if they built the wall on a section of land the US had already purchased in anticipation of building the wall as I doubt Trump would punish them for building a border wall on US property.  Or at least give them a pardon.

To the bold, that puts the administration in a potentially unfavorable position. Trump can turn a blind eye to people behaving badly in his name because he doesn't have his hands dirty with most of it. If a white supremacist shoots someone and says he was empowered by Trump or a guy punches a liberal because Trump said he could, Trump can shrug it off and say it's not his fault.

He wouldn't be able to do that as easily if his people and former people are actively breaking the law.
(05-30-2019, 12:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Good Point and I'm sure there is already land owned along the border before Trump was elected.

This has been an ongoing project for several Presidents (not just Trump).
Could be that the people that own it are more willing to sell to a non-Government entity as well. Bannon did say that once the wall is completed he's turning it over to the CBP.

I wonder who owned the land they purchased to build upon?  And the purchase price compared to what they paid?

I wonder if there was some recent land speculation?  Like if I was involved in a $20 million dollar GoFundMe account to build a wall?  And I went out and purchased some land in secret at market or slightly above market prices?  I could turn around and sell that property at double or triple what I paid to the GoFundMe account and make a nice little profit for myself.  Because there damn sure isn't any profit to be made on building on government property and just giving it to them.
(05-30-2019, 01:08 PM)Benton Wrote: To the bold, that puts the administration in a potentially unfavorable position. Trump can turn a blind eye to people behaving badly in his name because he doesn't have his hands dirty with most of it. If a white supremacist shoots someone and says he was empowered by Trump or a guy punches a liberal because Trump said he could, Trump can shrug it off and say it's not his fault.

He wouldn't be able to do that as easily if his people and former people are actively breaking the law.

Micheal. Cohen.
(05-30-2019, 12:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, I mean, I know the section was a publicity stunt to say "look what we can do" but seems like just a giant waste of money. The chances are high they're going to be ordered to take it down.

According to Yojimbo's link, the fence violates building ordinances. So... they can't.

Yes but it's all a political game now, they knew this would happen. So they planned for it, by hurrying and building the wall, then turning it over to the Federal Government. By turning it over pronto, Trump can issue an EO and possibly over ride the local ordinances. At least that's my thinking. And of course that will get tied up as well most likely.

NOW if they make them take the wall down from the legal battles, I'm sure that's going to really going to rouse the voter base for 2020.
(05-30-2019, 01:10 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Micheal. Cohen.

He thought that would all be behind lawyer/client confidentiality. Plus, Cohen was just doing the dirty work on white collar crime. It wasn't like he was killing people or, worse, lowering property values.
(05-30-2019, 01:11 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes but it's all a political game now, they knew this would happen. So they planned for it, by hurrying and building the wall, then turning it over to the Federal Government. By turning it over pronto, Trump can issue an EO and possibly over ride the local ordinances. At least that's my thinking. And of course that will get tied up as well most likely.

NOW if they make them take the wall down from the legal battles, I'm sure that's going to really going to rouse the voter base for 2020.

I'd think the legal battle there (if there was one) would likely take a couple years. Plus appeals.
(05-30-2019, 01:21 PM)Benton Wrote: He thought that would all be behind lawyer/client confidentiality. Plus, Cohen was just doing the dirty work on white collar crime. It wasn't like he was killing people or, worse, lowering property values.

Micheal. Flynn.

Point being he simply denied knowing about the illegal activity he knew his people were doing at his direction.
(05-30-2019, 12:53 PM)Benton Wrote: According to Yojimbo's link, the fence violates building ordinances. So... they can't.

I'm in the camp that it's their land so let them do what they want on their land. That's a philosophical point of view not a declaration of any legality of their actions. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-30-2019, 02:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm in the camp that it's their land so let them do what they want on their land. That's a philosophical point of view not a declaration of any legality of their actions. 

I agree but there are zoning requirements everywhere.  

Not that I think any Trump minion cares about the laws THEY want to break.  (Stupid regulations!)  That's just guberment getting in their way of protecting themselves.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-30-2019, 02:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm in the camp that it's their land so let them do what they want on their land. That's a philosophical point of view not a declaration of any legality of their actions. 

Philosophically I generally agree... unless the action prevents you from enjoying your land.

If you buy a property because of the view and your neighbor erects an oversized fence, that's impacting your enjoyment of your property.
(05-30-2019, 12:59 PM)Benton Wrote: Or maybe he realizes it:
1- Doesn't solve the problem as people will go over/under/around.
2- Lowers property values because nobody likes living on Rancho Del Folsom.
3- Will encourage a group that pays taxes, works at lower wages, is generally religious and commits crime at lower rates to go to a neighboring town where there isn't a fence.

Yea that 2200 they caught over Memorial day weekend, no crisis here. I bet the Rio Grande Area is next.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/over-2200-apprehensions-el-paso-sector-border-patrol-memorial-day

U.S. Border Patrol Agents continue to deal with this influx of illegal aliens entering our country with no respect for our immigration laws.  This fiscal year to date the El Paso Sector has arrested over 130 thousand illegal aliens, compared to over 16,000 during the same time last fiscal year.  The numbers continue to rise and agents see no end in sight for this current situation.

(05-30-2019, 01:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I wonder who owned the land they purchased to build upon?  And the purchase price compared to what they paid?

I wonder if there was some recent land speculation?  Like if I was involved in a $20 million dollar GoFundMe account to build a wall?  And I went out and purchased some land in secret at market or slightly above market prices?  I could turn around and sell that property at double or triple what I paid to the GoFundMe account and make a nice little profit for myself.  Because there damn sure isn't any profit to be made on building on government property and just giving it to them.

It wasn't their money to begin with so they aren't looking for a profit? It was money raised for a specific task. Build a Wall.
(05-30-2019, 04:16 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yea that 2200 they caught over Memorial day weekend, no crisis here. I bet the Rio Grande Area is next.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/over-2200-apprehensions-el-paso-sector-border-patrol-memorial-day

U.S. Border Patrol Agents continue to deal with this influx of illegal aliens entering our country with no respect for our immigration laws.  This fiscal year to date the El Paso Sector has arrested over 130 thousand illegal aliens, compared to over 16,000 during the same time last fiscal year.  The numbers continue to rise and agents see no end in sight for this current situation.

I think everyone agrees we need to do something to fix illegal immigration. I think it just differs on what the fixes should be. But, no, I wouldn't refer to it as a crisis. It's not, 'Oh no, there's people working for less than the average wage and paying taxes, it's the end of America!'
(05-30-2019, 04:16 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It wasn't their money to begin with so they aren't looking for a profit? It was money raised for a specific task. Build a Wall.

The guy who started the GoFundMe project, Brian Kolfage, is a scam artist.  I am sure he pocketed a lot of the money.