Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'God's Not Dead 2' Billboard Nixed at GOP Convention After Being Called "Incendiary"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gods-not-dead-2-billboard-909226

Quote:There will, however, be a billboard advertising atheism at the Republican National Convention, and more than 30 smaller, pro-atheist signs at the Democratic convention.

Attendees arriving in Cleveland for the Republican National Convention next week will be greeted by a giant billboard with President Ronald Reagan’s image, quoting him saying, “We establish no religion in this country.” The sign was purchased by an atheist group called the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

What convention attendees won’t see, though, is an even larger sign with a pro-religion message that would have advertised the DVD release of God’s Not Dead 2. That’s because, after two months of back-and-forth with the movie’s distributor, the billboard company, Orange Barrel Media, may have deemed the Christian-sounding messaging needlessly provocative.

The sign, which would have measured 32 feet by 60 feet, would have draped down one side of a large building in downtown Cleveland and was to feature a picture of Melissa Joan Hart, who plays a teacher in trouble for invoking scripture in the classroom. Alongside the image of the actress was the text: “I’d rather stand with God and be judged by the world than stand with the world and be judged by God.”

[Image: Cleveland_Billboard_God_Not_Dead_EMBED_2016.jpg]

Orange Barrel told Pure Flix, the distributor, it didn’t like the “judged by God” message, calling it “too political” and “way too incendiary,” according to emails obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. On another occasion, insiders said the billboard company complained that even the title of the film was considered problematic.

Early on, Orange Barrel cited Republican National Committee rules barring “scandalous” signage, though Pure Flix argued that the RNC would have no problem with their message, especially since former GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is in the movie. In fact, the GOP has partnered with Pure Flix for a worship service the night prior to the start of the convention, followed by a screening of the movie (with food provided by Chick-fil-A).

Orange Barrel next warned that the city of Cleveland might have a problem with the message. The city did have an issue with the size and placement of the sign and advised the sign company of certain steps it would need to go through to get approval, but by then, the damage was done, says Steve Fedyski, the CEO of Pure Flix, which agreed two months ago to pay Orange Barrel $64,100 for its sign.
[Image: Cleveland_Billboard_Freedom_From_Religio...D_2016.jpg]

“I’m perplexed. They dragged us along for weeks. Now, right up against the convention date, they say we aren’t approved, and they give us no logical rationale,” Fedyski said. “My speculation is that someone, somewhere didn’t want our message out. It’s hard to understand, considering we’ve used the same marketing on CNN and other national networks.”

The Cleveland Host Committee is, in fact, working with the RNC to guarantee that anti-Republican groups don’t spoil the convention venue with provocative signage (the Democratic National Convention is working in concert with Philadelphia for similar assurances for their convention). It's unclear, though — even from the multiple emails sent to Pure Flix — whom it was who actually deemed the God's Not Dead 2 sign inappropriate. A spokesman for the mayor of Cleveland said the city had no objections to the content of the sign.

One email from Orange Barrel to Pure Flix, though, reads: "This would not be approved. Way too incendiary." The "incendiary" text the email refers to, is this: "I'd rather stand with God and be judged by the world than stand with the world and be judged by God."

Orange Barrel CEO Pete Scantland told THR that there was "no bias" intended, and said his company never actually obtained permission from the city to put any sign on the building in question, which Fedyski finds odd.

“They picked the building and the size, and advertised that it was available," he said. "They gave us a budget and deadlines and we met all of it, then they put us on hold. We missed a primary promotional opportunity."

Since the deadline has passed for a God’s Not Dead 2 sign to appear at the Republican convention, it seemingly allows the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s pro-atheism message (which appears on a Clear Channel billboard) to go unchallenged.

“It’s near the airport, right after the ‘Welcome to Cleveland’ sign,” said Annie Laurie Gaylor, a spokesperson for the group. “The idea was that people flying in to the convention couldn’t miss it.”
[Image: FFRF_Atheist_Poster_EMBED.jpg]

Gaylor said her group has also secured more than 30 signs promoting atheism at the Democratic National Convention, which runs July 25-28.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Man, I really feel for atheists and democrats. I truly can't imagine how mindless they have to be that a sign can change their beliefs so drastically. Obviously, a billboard advertising a Christian movie will turn all atheists and Democrats into Christians against their will so it HAS to be stopped. Maybe one day, we can figure out a way for them to strengthen their beliefs so that when they see a message they dislike/disagree with they can do what most Christians and Republicans do and just roll their eyes and walk away with their beliefs still intact.
(07-14-2016, 11:15 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Man, I really feel for atheists and democrats. I truly can't imagine how mindless they have to be that a sign can change their beliefs so drastically. Obviously, a billboard advertising a Christian movie will turn all atheists and Democrats into Christians against their will so it HAS to be stopped. Maybe one day, we can figure out a way for them to strengthen their beliefs so that when they see a message they dislike/disagree with they can do what most Christians and Republicans do and just roll their eyes and walk away with their beliefs still intact.

Once again a very simple point goes over your head.

One Christian billboard supported acting contrary to the laws of this country.  I think that is a bad idea.  In fact the belief that religion is greater than the laws of society is what is fueling all the killing in the middle east right now.

The Atheist billboard supports acting according to the laws of the land.  No one should have a problem with them.

I would have no problem with the Christian billboard if it did not claim that religious beliefs should control a persons actions more than the law of the land.
God's NOT Dead part II: This Time it's Personal!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-14-2016, 02:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: God's NOT Dead part II:  This Time it's Personal!

I wonder if I'm alone in thinking billboards are a non-issue ?
(07-14-2016, 03:29 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I wonder if I'm alone in thinking billboards are a non-issue  ?

I suppose there are those who consider them an art form  Ninja though my guess is they're just another distraction while the real shenanigans are taking place ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(07-14-2016, 03:32 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I suppose there are those who consider them an art form  Ninja though my guess is they're just another distraction while the real shenanigans are taking place ....

Without a doubt.
I think we all can agree that they have the right to display the sign; it's just they made the wise decision that they should not.

To me I could care less. I don't need a banner to validate my faith.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-14-2016, 03:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think we all can agree that they have the right to display the sign; it's just they made the wise decision that they should not.

To me I could care less. I don't need a banner to validate my faith.

That sounds nice. Should probably put it on a billboard somewhere. However, that isn't what happened which is readily evident to anyone who actually read the article. 
(07-14-2016, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Once again a very simple point goes over your head.

One Christian billboard supported acting contrary to the laws of this country.  I think that is a bad idea.  In fact the belief that religion is greater than the laws of society is what is fueling all the killing in the middle east right now.

The Atheist billboard supports acting according to the laws of the land.  No one should have a problem with them.

I would have no problem with the Christian billboard if it did not claim that religious beliefs should control a persons actions more than the law of the land.

That's a huge stretch filled with a lot of assumption. "Stand with God and be judged by the world instead of standing with the world and being judged by God" has nothing to do with laws. Jesus prayed that before the crucifixion about those that followed and believed in him. It's about being in this world, among others (including "sinners") but not being 'of this world' (partaking in "sinful" things). 

It has zero to do with following or not following laws of the land. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-14-2016, 09:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's a huge stretch filled with a lot of assumption. "Stand with God and be judged by the world instead of standing with the world and being judged by God" has nothing to do with laws.

It has zero to do with following or not following laws of the land. 

It has EVERYTHING with following the laws.  Just read what the movie is about.

Your denial of reality is astonishing.
(07-15-2016, 12:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It has EVERYTHING with following the laws.  Just read what the movie is about.

Your denial of reality is astonishing.

A teacher who gets in trouble for quoting scripture in school. lol. OMG! Katie bar the door! The downfall of civilization is upon us!!!11!11111!

Seriously. You taking a Hollywood movie, made by Christians, and elevating it to something like, "One Christian billboard supported acting contrary to the laws of this country.  I think that is a bad idea.  In fact the belief that religion is greater than the laws of society is what is fueling all the killing in the middle east right now.", is what is astonishing. 

A billboard promoting a movie. lulz.

I'm in agreement with most around here that religion should be taught at home and in church. But i also laugh when someone loses their shit at something so ridiculously minute and innocuous, turning a firecracker into a block of C4. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Not sure what's wrong with the billboard, but it seems like the private company that denied it did it on grounds other than discriminating against their religion, so I guess it's ok.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-14-2016, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would have no problem with the Christian billboard if it did not claim that religious beliefs should control a persons actions more than the law of the land.

Since rfaulk already refuted your ridiculous point about the billboard somehow promoting lawlessness, let me address this last point of yours. By your logic, I assume, then, that you thought all the gays that got married when marriage was legal ONLY between heterosexuals should've been punished? How about Rosa Parks? I guess you think she deserved to be arrested for not following the LAW by not sitting in the back of the bus?

Oh wait, no you agreed with those. You're vehemently anti-religious so of course, these are different scenarios Rolleyes
(07-15-2016, 11:13 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Since rfaulk already refuted your ridiculous point about the billboard somehow promoting lawlessness, let me address this last point of yours. By your logic, I assume, then, that you thought all the gays that got married when marriage was legal ONLY between heterosexuals should've been punished? How about Rosa Parks? I guess you think she deserved to be arrested for not following the LAW by not sitting in the back of the bus?

Oh wait, no you agreed with those. You're vehemently anti-religious so of course, these are different scenarios Rolleyes

I think those scenarios are different.

If we are going to use a single religion to make laws (or judge others) should not those laws treat everyone equally?

A law saying murder is bad treats everyone who commits murder the same.

A law that say only white people can sit in the front of a bus does not.
(07-15-2016, 11:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: I think those scenarios are different.

If we are going to use a single religion to make laws (or judge others) should not those laws treat everyone equally?

A law saying murder is bad treats everyone who commits murder the same.

A law that say only white people can sit in the front of a bus does not.

We're not talking about specific laws. Fred made it painfully clear that challenging the law of the land is wrong. Yet, I'm sure there were many times he was in favor of it.

The only difference is that in this case, he disagrees with the people doing the challenging.
(07-15-2016, 02:45 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But i also laugh when someone loses their shit at something so ridiculously minute and innocuous, turning a firecracker into a block of C4. 

Do you laugh when people kill abortion doctors because their God's law is superior to the law of the land?

Do you laugh when ISIL claims their religious law authorizes there murders?
(07-15-2016, 11:13 AM)PhilHos Wrote: By your logic, I assume, then, that you thought all the gays that got married when marriage was legal ONLY between heterosexuals should've been punished? How about Rosa Parks? I guess you think she deserved to be arrested for not following the LAW by not sitting in the back of the bus?

You should stay away from words like "logic" when you don't know what they mean.

The problems that Rosa Parks and same sex couples faced were laws that VIOLATED THE LAW OF THE LAND (The U.S. Constitution). I have no problem with them fighting for their rights. That is not fighting against the law of the land. It is fighting for rights guaranteed by the law of the land.

This is completely different from people who want to violate the U.S. Constitution because a magic man in the sky tells them it is okay to discriminate.
My cousin is married to a crazy woman who's mother is crazy religious and she sent her daughter a bunch of VHS tapes of religious movies in order to "save her" or something. He and I ended up watching them all and there is some solid gold in there, especially the goofy 80s ones.

I think the most absurd one was the one where some man wanted his daughter to wait until marriage to kiss a guy and wanted her to marry a guy who never kissed a girl before, too. Anyways, this "God's Not Dead 2" might be a real riot of a film.