Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going forward from Free Agency
So, now that we more or less know what the Free Agency damage is, where does it leave us going into the draft?

It seems we have holes at FS and WR to go along with the existing holes at LB and Center.

If I had to try to project a bit a possible draft might be:

Round 1: Will Fuller (Notre Dame)

Round 2: Ryan Kelly (Alabama)

Round 3: Benniquez Brown (Mississippi State) or Josh Forrest (Kentucky)

The thinking is, Fuller is a receiver with deep speed and in college showed ability to get separation and also to haul in the tough catch. Kelly is supposed to have excellent technique and be effective both in run and pass blocking. Brown and Forrest have somewhat different skillsets but both are "natural Mike linebackers".

Obviously things will likely turn out different.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think we go WR in the 1st round. That is just my opinion though.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 03:24 AM)magikod Wrote: I don't think we go WR in the 1st round. That is just my opinion though.

I think we'll go with our board.  If that says the best player is WR, then it will be WR.  We have done an excellent job of sticking to our grades in the draft and finding players who suit our schemes.  I think Fuller is the WR who does that the most.  I like the OP's outline and wouldn't be surprised at all if those (or similar) were the guys.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
With Whitworth, Zeitler, and Winston only signed for one year and Smith almost assuredly gone, I think OL may be emphasized as much as any position group. I say that because with the Osemele signing I think the price tag may have gone up significantly for Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
Were going BPA that fits our scheme in the first round, like we always have.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Sign Mike Wallace, please....but for a reasonable amount plus incentives.
Reply/Quote
Ive been dialed in, I have seen literally zero visits lined up for this team. I really am starting to think they are done in free agency, which would be disappointing, but par the course for this franchise. I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't sign anyone else until after the draft.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 04:44 AM)EatonFan Wrote: I think we'll go with our board.  If that says the best player is WR, then it will be WR.  We have done an excellent job of sticking to our grades in the draft and finding players who suit our schemes.  I think Fuller is the WR who does that the most.  I like the OP's outline and wouldn't be surprised at all if those (or similar) were the guys.
We're not wasting a 1st round pick on a WR who is a one trick pony.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 02:11 AM)Joelist Wrote: So, now that we more or less know what the Free Agency damage is, where does it leave us going into the draft?

It seems we have holes at FS and WR to go along with the existing holes at LB and Center.

If I had to try to project a bit a possible draft might be:

Round 1: Will Fuller (Notre Dame)

Round 2: Ryan Kelly (Alabama)

Round 3: Benniquez Brown (Mississippi State) or Josh Forrest (Kentucky)

The thinking is, Fuller is a receiver with deep speed and in college showed ability to get separation and also to haul in the tough catch. Kelly is supposed to have excellent technique and be effective both in run and pass blocking. Brown and Forrest have somewhat different skillsets but both are "natural Mike linebackers".

Obviously things will likely turn out different.

Prior to Free Agency I thought DT and LB was the priority.  

Now we have lost Jones and Sanu WR has to be looked at earlier in my opinion....even if we get a veteran in later we still need to bring in a quality talent to develop.

Center is not a priority right now in my opinion.  
Reply/Quote
We don't have a hole at safety contrary to what some may believe, Illoka and Williams will man the ship and we drafted Derron Smith last year. We may add a late round guy, but we are fine on the back end. I think we add a WR or another CB (
Although Shaw played decent when give a chance) in the first. Followed up by LB and some line depth, and possibly a double up at WR (coaching staff feeling son wrights injury and Alfords progress probably dictates if this happens). People quickly forget about mid round picks, but remember Illoka was a 5th rounder that was practically non existent as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
With Hunt, Clarke a disappointment. Simms, Thompson a question mark. Wallace gone. I would have liked to go DT and or DE (Dodd) at 24, but that's likely not going to happen anymore with free agency leaving us with more holes. Our Dline likely won't get upgraded, and that's a shame given the talented Dline class we'll miss out on. But we missed out on the talented wideout classes of the last two years, so it won't be the first time we ignored the strength of the draft and double up on the weak position in the draft (last year Oline/TE).

I agree we have a hole at safety. FS. We have no coverage safety and this scheme usually needs 3 good (starters quality) safeties. Hence why we kept brining back Crocker. Iloka and Williams are box safeties. Derron is undersized and an unknown commodity. A 6 round pick not a 1-3rd round pick getting seasoned. If we don't need a FS because of Derron a 6 round pick, do we not need another receiver because of Mario a 7th round pick? I don't think you count on a 6-7th round pick outside of special teams.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
-I think we sign a cheap vet WR.  We signed Denarius Moore last year when we were deeper at WR than we are now.  We will draft a WR (maybe 2), but not on the first round.  We won't use a first round pick on a #2 WR.

-We probably draft a Center in the fourth or later.  Probably not a threat to Bodine this year, but groomed to replace him if needed in 2017.

-I don't see a need at safety at all.

-I see DT as our biggest need in this years draft, but with the draft being so deep at this position we may wait until the second round.

-We just paid Vinny Rey starter money so I don't see us using a first or second round pick on LB.  Again we may use a third or later.

-With Kirkpatrick being a free agent next year we could use our first round pick on a CB.

-If we don't re-sign Gilberry we will be paper thin at DE behind Dunlap and MJ.  Hardison may improve dramatically since he was just a rookie last year, but guys that have been around a while like Hunt (3 yrs) and Clarke (2 yrs) are not going to suddenly blossom into good players.  Look for us to use an early pick at DE.

CONCLUSION

Possible remaining free agent signings.....Gilberry, cheap WR

Draft first round......DT or CB

Second-third rounds.....DT, CB, WR, or DE
Reply/Quote
Oh, I know they will keep with BPA. Also that they will keep with the thinking that has given us inferior Center after inferior Center (undervaluing the position). They got VERY lucky with Braham and since then the position has been a revolving door of trash, which has badly affected both the interior run game and interior pass protection.

As to WR, losing the #2 and #3 WR does put the position higher on the list, as it means we are an AJ Green injury from reliving those fun days in 2014 where we were doing fun things like running Rex Burkhead out at WR. And Will Fuller would fill the need nicely as he has the jets and also is a good technician at the position.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't discount them looking at WR early. Rookie receivers have produced lately. Other than that I don't have anything else to add. I agree with most who say they'll stick wth BPA. One thing is for sure, outside of possibly not being prepared enough for Jones and Sanu's departure, we have little reason to doubt their preparedness for the upcoming draft.

I don't want Mike Wallace. F*** Pittsburgh, their condiments, oil and former players. All of them.

Give me Anquan Boldin please.

I have a feeling, if Braxton Miller is available, they take a good look at drafting him.

Edit lol. Guess I did have more to add Ha ha
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 01:46 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I wouldn't discount them looking at WR early. Rookie receivers have produced lately. Other than that I don't have anything else to add. I agree with most who say they'll stick wth BPA. One thing is for sure, outside of possibly not being prepared enough for Jones and Sanu's departure, we have little reason to doubt their preparedness for the upcoming draft.

I don't want Mike Wallace. F*** Pittsburgh, their condiments, oil and former players. All of them.

Give me Anquan Boldin please.

I have a feeling, if Braxton Miller is available, they take a good look at drafting him.

Edit lol. Guess I did have more to add Ha ha

Agreed on Bolden. Miller in middle rounds only. He has upside yes, but also has long runway to get to those upsides if they come at all.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 06:39 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Were going BPA that fits our scheme in the first round, like we always have.

i dont think WR is the BPA in the 1st round. just my 2 cents tho...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 04:26 PM)magikod Wrote: i dont think WR is the BPA in the 1st round. just my 2 cents tho...

Not trying to be a smart ass, but how can you know this until the draft actually occurs?  You have no idea who will be there and who won't...
Reply/Quote
I openly admit my OP was not based on BPA. Instead I was thinking for each round who would both best fill a need and had a good chance of being there.

In Round 1 Fuller was to me obvious - jets and also good hands. In Round 2 Kelly is a Center who is a good technician and also excellent both on the point and moving laterally. In Round 3 both LB are natural "Mike" LB and both have good football IQs so they would quickly learn to set the defense.
Reply/Quote