Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going full vegan
The old woman finally got me to go with a vegan diet including cutting out all dairy.
So far so good ,but I'm going to have to eventually take over the cooking duties. She ain't the worst cook in the world,  but far from the best. 
I'll trust her nutritional judgment ,but kitchen safety and sanitation leaves something to be desired . Lol
I kind of miss some things like a good steak, cream and butter, but I won't miss getting stents implanted in my chest and being constipated constantly, plus one thing I'm good at is baking .. I Recently baked some whole grain pumpernickel rye bread and just bought a bunch of rye and whole wheat flour .  Good stuff . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just realized that the overwhelming majority of pharmaceutical profits come from drugs sold to the meat and dairy industry and administered to animals intended for human consumption..
Think about what this means for the average diet most people are eating, if you are eating a meat based diet you're probably also consuming a great deal of drugs that don't do a lot of good for your body.
Until recently I didn't give it a lot of thought, but read up on the diets most of the football players are eating and most are plant based diets and you'll be hard pressed to tell anyone that they're generally eating unhealthy diets.

Over the past few months we've completely cut out meat and dairy products with just a few minor exceptions that will also get cut out and doing quite a bit better.. The old woman has lost around 20 pounds in the past few months. I've not lost much, but I've always been rather thin anyway. Hopefully I can get my HepC under control, eat a plant based diet and maybe, just maybe live a bit longer and healthier..

I'm going to begin charting things and keeping records.. If results are positive and substantial I'll share what I find..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 11:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just realized that the overwhelming majority of pharmaceutical profits come from drugs sold to the meat  and dairy industry and administered to animals intended for human consumption..
Think about what this means for the average diet most people are eating, if you are eating a meat based diet you're probably also consuming a great deal of drugs that don't do a lot of good for your body.
Until recently I didn't give it a lot of thought, but read up on the diets most of the football players are eating and most are plant based diets and you'll be hard pressed to tell anyone that they're generally eating unhealthy diets.

Over the past few months we've completely cut out meat and dairy products with just a few minor exceptions that will also get cut out and doing quite a bit better.. The old woman has lost around 20 pounds in the past few months. I've not lost much, but I've always been rather thin anyway. Hopefully I can get my HepC under control, eat a plant based diet and maybe, just maybe live a bit longer and healthier..  

I'm going to begin charting things and keeping records.. If results are positive and substantial I'll share what I find..

The U.S. food industry is right on par with how big tobacco was, big pharma today, and the other big industries that deceive the general population for profit. It's pretty scary if someone really looks into the mega produced foods here in our country and how there is little to no opposition to them in the main stream. We are the wealthiest nation on Earth, yet overall have so many health issues compared to other countries. 

I wont ever go vegan but now that I am over 40, but I am moving towards eating more organic foods, locally grown meats, etc. When it comes to sweets, I am starting to make my own desserts, cookies, etc from scratch, while staying away from the prepackaged cookies and all that stuff. Main thing is to stay away from buying stuff with high fructose syrup in it as well for me. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Good luck with that Vegan thing. Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about you tonight, when I'm grilling some delicious pork chops.. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Had some three cheese tortellini's and garlic. Bread for dinner.

So guess I am vegan for the next 8 or 10 hours as well

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 08:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Had some three cheese tortellini's and garlic. Bread for dinner.

So guess I am vegan for the next 8 or 10 hours as well

I don't think so, bud.  They raped that cow of her milk for that cheese.  You, my friend, are out of the vegan club!  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good luck with that Vegan thing.  Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about you tonight, when I'm grilling some delicious pork chops..   Ninja
[Image: 1r6dhz.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good luck with that Vegan thing.  Meanwhile, I'll be thinking about you tonight, when I'm grilling some delicious pork chops..   Ninja

(04-11-2018, 09:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: [Image: 1r6dhz.jpg]

[Image: 44571157_71a9ad10f5_o.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I went vegan for a little bit and didn't like it. I have to have my chicken and steak. I don't eat a lot of meat right now, but it makes it a lot easier to get the amount of protein that I need for weight training. I still don't eat dairy though. Here's a little thing that I learned from going vegan for a little over a year.... You smell a lot better even when you're sweaty and your spunk tastes better to chicks (I know the last part was TMI). I always feel best when I eat a little bit of meat and the rest fruits/vegies and other vegan foods.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 11:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just realized that the overwhelming majority of pharmaceutical profits come from drugs sold to the meat  and dairy industry and administered to animals intended for human consumption..

Well if that is truly what you are worried about, you could focus on buying more antibiotic free and organic meat/cheese/eggs than giving up meat altogether and going straight Vegan. 

The Vegan lifestyle is not for me. I could never give up meat and cheese and eggs. I am just more conscience of where my animal products are coming from and what goes into them. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:19 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The U.S. food industry is right on par with how big tobacco was, big pharma today, and the other big industries that deceive the general population for profit. It's pretty scary if someone really looks into the mega produced foods here in our country and how there is little to no opposition to them in the main stream. We are the wealthiest nation on Earth, yet overall have so many health issues compared to other countries. 

I wont ever go vegan but now that I am over 40, but I am moving towards eating more organic foods, locally grown meats, etc. When it comes to sweets, I am starting to make my own desserts, cookies, etc from scratch, while staying away from the prepackaged cookies and all that stuff. Main thing is to stay away from buying stuff with high fructose syrup in it as well for me. 

It was bad, I agree, but things are changing now. The industry has been exposed and you can now easily buy products that are antibiotic/hormone free. Back in the 90s and 2000s those options werent even available. I was actually at the grocery the other day and saw that all of Perdus and Honeysuckles standard meat came hormone and antibiotic free which is pretty incredible considering where it was.

Consumers changing behavior about what they want to put in their body are attributing to this. Not laws, not regulations. The consumer and what they are willing to spend their money on is driving the change which is awesome. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don't think I will ever do the vegan thing, although I should find a way to eat healthier. At 50, I just don't rebound as I used to and when I eat a lot of greasy fat filled foods, my body actually feels the difference. Sucks!

Reply/Quote
Good deal!  Keep up the hard work. 

Meanwhile I'll be over here consuming your share of steak that you've voluntarily gave up.  in fact, we just grilled up some sirloin steak last night.  cooked to perfection, medium-rare to medium. and the other weekend, we had some primerib, cooked medium rare.  oh lordy, dab some meat into some horseradish and let your mouth water.  wash it all done with a cold Bud Light and top it off with a single malt scotch, GlenLevit was my choice that night.  That my friends, was a delicious supper.

Fight the power!   
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 05:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: The old woman finally got me to go with a vegan diet including cutting out all dairy.
So far so good ,but I'm going to have to eventually take over the cooking duties. She ain't the worst cook in the world,  but far from the best. 
I'll trust her nutritional judgment ,but kitchen safety and sanitation leaves something to be desired . Lol
I kind of miss some things like a good steak, cream and butter, but I won't miss getting stents implanted in my chest and being constipated constantly, plus one thing I'm good at is baking .. I Recently baked some whole grain pumpernickel rye bread and just bought a bunch of rye and whole wheat flour .  Good stuff . 

Also means no leather goods to wear correct? no leather wallet or shoes.

what you gonna wear?

Always remember...

Plants are living beings too.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 05:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: The old woman finally got me to go with a vegan diet including cutting out all dairy.

You do realize going vegan doesn't just mean cutting out dairy, right?

In all seriousness, good luck with that but please PLEASE don't turn into one of those annoying proselytizing vegans. Keep it to yourself unless otherwise asked.  ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
How do you know a person is vegan?
Wait five seconds and they will tell you. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2018, 08:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: How do you know a person is vegan?
Wait five seconds and they will tell you. LOL

Kinda like crossfitters.   Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I admire your desire to live more healthy. I could NEVER do it. I love meat, dairy and eggs too much. But more power to you!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote