Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to order the new saw
Sometime in the next hour or so I'm going to Mann Tool (local tool retailer) to place the order for my new Sawstop cabinet saw.. I'm kind of excited...$3000 I hope to put to good use making a living. Should I bid to build MIke Brown's new book case and earn MILLIONS!?? I remember when lots of folks seemed to think the book case behind him in an interview came from Ikea.. I can do a LOT better than Ikea quality..  Shocked

Edit.. Saw's ordered.. Should be delivered Friday..

Thinking about how "Broken" college is now.. My uneducated ass knows how to do most anything that can be done with a cheap table saw much less a $3000 model.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
WOOHOO! Last night I FINALLY cleaned up the huge mess that was behind my old saw so now there's plenty of space for the new saw and most importantly the new saw can be wheeled right into place where I can spend the next five years trying to figure out how to assemble the damned thing! Actually I've assembled saws before so it's not that big of a deal.. It does come in 4 boxes though and a bunch of associated packaging materials so the recycling bin ought to be completely filled up when I'm done.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The only thing more satisfying than cleaning up a mess and having a gleaming new space? Having a plan for that new space, especially if it involves some new toys. Sounds awesome and looking forward to seeing some pics once you get it assembled!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 01:22 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: The only thing more satisfying than cleaning up a mess and having a gleaming new space?  Having a plan for that new space, especially if it involves some new toys.  Sounds awesome and looking forward to seeing some pics once you get it assembled!

$3000 toy at that and I plan to rebuild my workbench or at the least turn it into a dedicated outfeed for the saw. It's a 52" saw so I need to be able to rip full plywood sheets end to end and side to side. I might even advertise that service locally for folks who buy a sheet of plywood planning to cut it down for other purposes, but just don't have either the space nor tools..  Either way, I'm looking forward to it.. I never realized just how much scrap lumber I'd saved over the past few years.. I hauled a truckload to the dump, gave away almost that much and still don't know where to put the rest.. 

Reply/Quote
I got my new saw today around 10 am..got it put together by about 3..Now I just have to adjust everything, run the new power lines and outlets and clean up the mess. If you're ever considering a sawstop PCS saw be warned it's HEAVY, but not impossible to put together.
I'm be able to get back to work soon and start making money again. I'm probably going to start off building my spring items like planter boxes, outdoor furniture, etc., then probably get back into cabinetry where the money is.. It's gonna be nice to not have to fight with an old crapman saw all the time.. ThumbsUp Sooner or later I'm going to upgrade the electrical to 230 volts, but for the time being I can live with 115..

Reply/Quote
Awesome Gramps. My Paps and I are trying to order a Saw Mill now but are having troubles finding any on stock.

Canadians are all shut down it seems, especially Woodland.
Reply/Quote
I've thought about a sawmill, but don't have the trees for the investment nor the place to sticker the lumber.. You do know about stickering...right?
I do occasionally cut up smaller logs with the bandsaw though.. I cut up a lot of crape myrtle and make great walking sticks with it. I have about 4 nice pieces of it in the drive to cut up this summer. It's also great for making bows with..very hard and bendable..

I did get my dust collection all set up finally..No more just heaving it all on the floor!

Reply/Quote
I suppose I really oughtta get to work..Sitting here typing isn't getting it done.. I did cut up a bunch of stuff yesterday to start building boxes, etc., and this saw is dead on.. Nearly every cut is perfectly square with almost no variation.. That's a HUGE step up from my last saw..

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2021, 01:01 AM)grampahol Wrote: I've thought about a sawmill, but don't have the trees for the investment nor the place to sticker the lumber

Get one of the portable ones that you can haul from site to site to cut up other peoples trees.

I saw one work and it was pretty impressive.  A friend of mine had some trees cut just to clear his property and even though he had no real use for the wood he had the trees cut into lumber.

(04-02-2021, 01:01 AM)grampahol Wrote:  You do know about stickering...right?

I know it doesn't really work that good.

The summer between my junior and senior year in high school I worked with my father cutting timber to build a house.  Instead of getting it kiln dried we just took it back from the sawmill and stacked and stripped it.  Next summer when we started to build over half of the stuff was too twisted and bowed to use.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 07:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Get one of the portable ones that you can haul from site to site to cut up other peoples trees.

I saw one work and it was pretty impressive.  A friend of mine had some trees cut just to clear his property and even though he had no real use for the wood he had the trees cut into lumber.

I know it doesn't really work that good.

The summer between my junior and senior year in high school I worked with my father cutting timber to build a house.  Instead of getting it kiln dried we just took it back from the sawmill and stacked and stripped it.  Next summer when we started to build over half of the stuff was too twisted and bowed to use.

Really? Maybe that's why every lumber yard in the world does it..  I know..what do THEY know about stacking lumber Smirk ?  I live in SC where sawmills are fairly common. I can buy lumber all over from NC to SC and Georgia for cheap. Especially now since lumber prices are way up I might just start visiting some of the local sawmills, but I have no use for one.  I need to find a supplier of eastern red cedar. The stuff might as well be extinct for all intents and purposes in lumber yards..
I just checked prices of yellow pine.. it's more than doubled from this time last year and I live in an area where it grows like weeds..

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 09:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: Really? Maybe that's why every lumber yard in the world does it..  I know..what do THEY know about stacking lumber Smirk ?  

So no lumber yard ever kiln dries lumber.

You have never heard of that?

Maybe we did something wrong, but I don't know what it could have been. We stacked hundreds of 2 X 4's with strips between and many of them still bowed and twisted.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 12:31 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome Gramps. My Paps and I are trying to order a Saw Mill now but are having troubles finding any on stock.

Canadians are all shut down it seems, especially Woodland.

Ive had a Woodland Mills for 6 years and highly recommend them if you can get your hands on one. That thing is a beast and has saved me lots of money and made me lots of money. There is nothing like the smell after that first cut, especially oak. I feel like I'm addicted to that lol. 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2021, 12:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So no lumber yard ever kiln dries lumber.

You have never heard of that?

Maybe we did something wrong, but I don't know what it could have been. We stacked hundreds of 2 X 4's with strips between and many of them still bowed and twisted.

I haven't done milling on the same scale so perhaps I'm over my head on this one.. I'll defer .. I did work for awhile unloading lumber from box cars back when they still did such things.. They'd stack it completely to the roof board by board then unstack it wherever it was shipped to by train.. That was back when most every lumber yard was on a train spur line somewhere.. You don't see that much anymore.. Myself and another guy could unload one in 3 days.. That's a LOT of 2x4s..

Reply/Quote