Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Article on Offensive Lineman
http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/22/cincinnati-bengals-free-agent-offensive-linemen-2018-nate-solder/
There are some solid options available here.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:27 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/22/cincinnati-bengals-free-agent-offensive-linemen-2018-nate-solder/

like zutan and cooper then rent Andre Smith for a few more years as RT and draft another LT   or get a LT move Obg to LG and boiling to Center or some sort of magical combination.
Reply/Quote
I like Zach Fulton as well. I wonder what the price of him would be?
Reply/Quote
Jenson would be that dream signing, he would change the entire complexion of the OL. Boling, and whomever wins the RG spot would have a field day opening gaping holes up the middle with a brute like Jenson leading the way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I can't help but think that the Bengals might have stumbled on to the solution at LT: Clint Boling. I am not sure how he graded those two games, but my eyes told me he looked very good. Guards are MUCH easier to find than elite LTs, and I think if you went with Boling at LT, drafted a guard, put Redmond at RG (who was a beast) and Westerman at Center, that you might have something.

They would also have to draft a RT, which, again, is much easier than a LT.
Reply/Quote
Hobspin just put out the annual propaganda that they don't have the money to sign a quality free agent.

We will sign a couple of declining players on cheap contracts in the third week of free agency.

But we will have money to roll over and plenty of cap space for injuries. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 12:04 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Hobspin just put out the annual propaganda that they don't have the money to sign a quality free agent.

We will sign a couple of declining players on cheap contracts in the third week of free agency.

But we will have money to roll over and plenty of cap space for injuries. Sarcasm

Well yea, obvs.

2019 FAs:
Atkins
Dunlap
Dennard
Kroft
Harris
plus a handful more that people probably don't care one way or another about re-signing

2020 FAs:
Green
Boling
Bernard
Hewitt
Boyd
Billings
Westerman
Fejedelem
plus a few more that people probably don't care one way or another about re-signing

The Bengals will most definitely keep a decent chunk reserved every year to re-sign the players they are comfortable with.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
SHRacerX Wrote:I can't help but think that the Bengals might have stumbled on to the solution at LT:  Clint Boling.  I am not sure how he graded those two games, but my eyes told me he looked very good.  Guards are MUCH easier to find than elite LTs, and I think if you went with Boling at LT, drafted a guard, put Redmond at RG (who was a beast) and Westerman at Center, that you might have something.

They would also have to draft a RT, which, again, is much easier than a LT.

I won't lie that he did seem to hold his own but it's a VERY small sample size.  You're right that it's tough to get an elite LT, and looks to be hard to even get a descent one as they'll be at a premium.  So, since Cincy likes kicking tires my compromise would be: 

Boling- His position revolves around the offseason.  They'll get visits with guys like Sam Young, Cam Fleming, Byron Bell and Greg Robinson and one will eventually sign.  Let's say they draft Mike McGlinchey, there is another RT type but if he holds his own at LT maybe he starts there.  

Westerman-His best position may be LG, so if Boling starts at LT then maybe he ends up here.  Like Boling, he hasn't had enough time at center so I'd still want another FA or draft pick to compete for that spot.  I

Redmond-  Either guard spot but ideally I want [size=3]Redmond and Westerman competing at one spot with the other being a quality sub... meaning you had a good offseason.[/size]

So it could be something like:
LT-Clint Boling/Sam Young
LG-Johnathan Cooper
C-Isaiah Wynn/Joe Looney
RG-Redmond/Westerman
RT-McGlinchy/Sam Young

I guess the thought here is quantity over quality.  You sign a dependable starter in Cooper with his familiarity in Pollack in getting him back on his feet.  Sam Young (a Dayton guy) comes in as a 3rd tackle that could easily start if need be.  Joe Looney is another guy that has played in Pollack's system even if he hasn't done much.  I'd like to end up getting two eventual starters out of the first 3 rounds of the draft, with vet options if they aren't ready.  

Bottom line is I'd much rather hear the board murmur about Westerman (a quality versatile OL) not starting because we have 5 guys that bumped him rather than having to depend on a guy with limited experience at a position (Westerman at C? Boling at LT? A free agent RT at LT?) 
Reply/Quote
Fans have given up on RB, but has ownership and coaches? There's a fair chance he'll still be here come next season as starting C..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well yea, obvs.

2019 FAs:
Atkins
Dunlap
Dennard
Kroft
Harris
plus a handful more that people probably don't care one way or another about re-signing

2020 FAs:
Green
Boling
Bernard
Hewitt
Boyd
Billings
Westerman
Fejedelem
plus a few more that people probably don't care one way or another about re-signing

The Bengals will most definitely keep a decent chunk reserved every year to re-sign the players they are comfortable with.

Know this has to be done to some extent but the cap space seems to go up every year too.  

Plus this is the big boy league, can trim some fat off the roster as well.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 02:13 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Know this has to be done to some extent but the cap space seems to go up every year too.  

Plus this is the big boy league, can trim some fat off the roster as well.  

Yea I was kinda being facetious. Thought the "obvs" would indicate that lol.

We all know what the Bengals could/should do, but Mike Brown has proven to go against what most people think and do what he believes is right.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 10:51 AM)phil413 Wrote: Let's say they draft Mike McGlinchey, there is another RT type but if he holds his own at LT maybe he starts there.  
I don't buy the "LT RT only" anymore some of thr best edge players are on the strong side. Von Miller Khalil Mack JJ Watt Justin Houston Michael Bennett Calais Campbell.  Plus nowadays defensive coordinators move people around to create mismatches. 

Tackles have to be equally good on both sides.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 10:51 AM)phil413 Wrote: I won't lie that he did seem to hold his own but it's a VERY small sample size.  You're right that it's tough to get an elite LT, and looks to be hard to even get a descent one as they'll be at a premium.  So, since Cincy likes kicking tires my compromise would be: 

Boling- His position revolves around the offseason.  They'll get visits with guys like Sam Young, Cam Fleming, Byron Bell and Greg Robinson and one will eventually sign.  Let's say they draft Mike McGlinchey, there is another RT type but if he holds his own at LT maybe he starts there.  

Westerman-His best position may be LG, so if Boling starts at LT then maybe he ends up here.  Like Boling, he hasn't had enough time at center so I'd still want another FA or draft pick to compete for that spot.  I

Redmond-  Either guard spot but ideally I want Redmond and Westerman competing at one spot with the other being a quality sub... meaning you had a good offseason.

So it could be something like:
LT-Clint Boling/Sam Young
LG-Johnathan Cooper
C-Isaiah Wynn/Joe Looney
RG-Redmond/Westerman
RT-McGlinchy/Sam Young

I guess the thought here is quantity over quality.  You sign a dependable starter in Cooper with his familiarity in Pollack in getting him back on his feet.  Sam Young (a Dayton guy) comes in as a 3rd tackle that could easily start if need be.  Joe Looney is another guy that has played in Pollack's system even if he hasn't done much.  I'd like to end up getting two eventual starters out of the first 3 rounds of the draft, with vet options if they aren't ready.  

Bottom line is I'd much rather hear the board murmur about Westerman (a quality versatile OL) not starting because we have 5 guys that bumped him rather than having to depend on a guy with limited experience at a position (Westerman at C? Boling at LT? A free agent RT at LT?) 

Great post Phil. Gonna come back to this one later cause it has a lot of possabilities that could happen under Pollack. Rock On

Nice article too Knightmare on Elmstreet and just a real nice thread. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:27 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/22/cincinnati-bengals-free-agent-offensive-linemen-2018-nate-solder/

for the right price i might take anyone of them.  I like fulton alot.  and would love jensen.  need to get some nastyness on that line.  
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 11:14 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: for the right price i might take anyone of them.  I like fulton alot.  and would love jensen.  need to get some nastyness on that line.  

Like yourself, I think that Jensen would be a great addition to the OL.  I love OL that have a mean streak, and play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder.  However, another member on here, who's opinion on players that I generally respect, thinks that Jensen is just average in general and not that great in run blocking.

Upon giving said members opinion some careful thought and consideration, I still think that Jensen would be a great addition to our OL.  Let's face it, Bodine has been arguably the worst rated starting Center in the league the past two seasons.  Adding a guy that even though only grades as "average", but has grit to go along with starting experience, is a hell of an improvement.  Likely more of an improvement than any rookie could bring.

When you combine the upgrade in talent with a new OL coach that likes aggressive OL play, the results could be dramatic.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
One would think that MB would have seen the benefit of:

LT - Munoz
LG - Reimers
C - Kozerski
RG - Montoya
RT - Walter

And be willing to work to get back to something like that.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 11:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like yourself, I think that Jensen would be a great addition to the OL.  I love OL that have a mean streak, and play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder.  However, another member on here, who's opinion on players that I generally respect, thinks that Jensen is just average in general and not that great in run blocking.

Upon giving said members opinion some careful thought and consideration, I still think that Jensen would be a great addition to our OL.  Let's face it, Bodine has been arguably the worst rated starting Center in the league the past two seasons.  Adding a guy that even though only grades as "average", but has grit to go along with starting experience, is a hell of an improvement.  Likely more of an improvement than any rookie could bring.

When you combine the upgrade in talent with a new OL coach that likes aggressive OL play, the results could be dramatic.

Big fan of Jensen,  mainly because of his "mean streak"  according to PFF middle of the season last year he was rated as the #1 center.  id consider him a def top 10 center and in Cincinnati unless you're not a Bengals fan that should be something u should welcome with open arms.  Il take Jensen all day.  most importantly over Bodine.  and in regards to his run blocking(Jensen), if he is better at pass pro then again all for it.  pressure in Daltons face from the middle is every drop back. Bring on Jensen or Fulton please.  I like Fulton more so due to age. 
Reply/Quote

Laugh, talks about if the Bengals recognize there mistake with Bodine. Well, I guess they haven't.

Get ready for Ogbuehi being slated as the starting LT going into the 2018 season and Bodine re-signed for 4 more years of sucky Center play.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 11:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like yourself, I think that Jensen would be a great addition to the OL.  I love OL that have a mean streak, and play with a bit of a chip on their shoulder.  However, another member on here, who's opinion on players that I generally respect, thinks that Jensen is just average in general and not that great in run blocking.

Would be all for Jensen as well, he is not a great run blocker but he is very good in pass protection and would help
give Dalton a decent pocket atleast sometimes unlike Bodine. Just doubt the Ravens let him test FA much.

I also really like the upside of the top 3 Centers in this draft Ragnow, Price and Daniels i would all be ecstatic with.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 04:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be all for Jensen as well, he is not a great run blocker but he is very good in pass protection and would help
give Dalton a decent pocket atleast sometimes unlike Bodine. Just doubt the Ravens let him test FA much.

I also really like the upside of the top 3 Centers in this draft Ragnow, Price and Daniels i would all be ecstatic with.

I'm not so sure about that.  In their list of top 25 NFL free agents, The Sporting News described Jensen as "A very powerful run blocker".  Even though we have one guy on here that claims otherwise.

I must admit, other than when they play the Bengals, I really don't watch too much of the Ravens.  And, it's tough to make a call based on his play versus the Bengals, as the defense was pretty slack versus the run this season.

This is pretty interesting.  They rate every Center in the NFL and establish a numerical value to their performance in each facet of their respective game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754255-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-centers-of-2017-season

Then, this article quotes PFF ratings (I know, we're supposed to ignore these...), and PFF has Jensen ranked 3rd overall, as well as 3rd in run blocking.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/10/11/16457556/pff-ravens-offensive-line-ranks-fourth-best-nfl-offense-blocking-top-centers-2017-ryan-jensen

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote