Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Article on Offensive Lineman
(02-12-2018, 06:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure about that.  In their list of top 25 NFL free agents, The Sporting News described Jensen as "A very powerful run blocker".  Even though we have one guy on here that claims otherwise.

I must admit, other than when they play the Bengals, I really don't watch too much of the Ravens.  And, it's tough to make a call based on his play versus the Bengals, as the defense was pretty slack versus the run this season.

This is pretty interesting.  They rate every Center in the NFL and establish a numerical value to their performance in each facet of their respective game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754255-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-centers-of-2017-season

Then, this article quotes PFF ratings (I know, we're supposed to ignore these...), and PFF has Jensen ranked 3rd overall, as well as 3rd in run blocking.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/10/11/16457556/pff-ravens-offensive-line-ranks-fourth-best-nfl-offense-blocking-top-centers-2017-ryan-jensen

Great info here Sunset on all the Centers. Ryan Jensen is definately the best of the FA bunch that is for sure and honestly
didn't think he was that good in run blocking. These guys were watching him a lot more than we were that is for sure.

Really liked the Bleacher Report analysis. I don't put near as much stock into PFF though.

If we go Center in FA i sure hope it is Jensen or Zach Fulton.

Not Richburg who is not near as physical.

Also i would think that Pollack would really value Center after working with the best one the last few years in Frederick.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great info here Sunset on all the Centers. Ryan Jensen is definately the best of the FA bunch that is for sure and honestly
didn't think he was that good in run blocking. These guys were watching him a lot more than we were that is for sure.

Really liked the Bleacher Report analysis. I don't put near as much stock into PFF though.

If we go Center in FA i sure hope it is Jensen or Zach Fulton.

Not Richburg who is not near as physical.

Also i would think that Pollack would really value Center after working with the best one the last few years in Frederick.

As I understand, they are not as reliable as they once were thought to be.  However, when multiple sources say essentially the same thing about a player, I think it's safe to reference them (PFF).  Now, if someone is making a case for a player, and PFF is their only source referenced, they might want to check a few more outlets to see if they concur.

Edit: Come to think of it, might be a good idea to cross verify, no matter who the source is. Just look at all the variation on scouting reports on NFL prospects from source to source.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2018, 05:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As I understand, they are not as reliable as they once were thought to be.  However, when multiple sources say essentially the same thing about a player, I think it's safe to reference them (PFF).  Now, if someone is making a case for a player, and PFF is their only source referenced, they might want to check a few more outlets to see if they concur.

Edit:  Come to think of it, might be a good idea to cross verify, no matter who the source is.  Just look at all the variation on scouting reports on NFL prospects from source to source.

Sounds like the right way to go about it. PFF was pretty good a couple years ago but once i saw them giving high grades to
players who had an awful game besides one ball bouncing their way or giving low grades to a player who played well but made
one mistake i started to just judge players by my own eye.

They do see a lot of things i don't though and like you said they are right there with Bleacher Report on their thoughts on the
Centers, namely Jensen so i have to give them a touch of cred here.

Ryan Jensen or Zach Fulton if we go Center in FA is the way i would go right now.
Reply/Quote