Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Good Interview with Zac
It's not often that we get a 30-minute interview with Zac. Its a good listen on a wide range of topics

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Good stuff. Didn't know his first yeat at Nebraska was very miserable, and I like his honesty whe he said that he was expecting to be drafted at the seventh round. A pity it didn't happen, but had he been drafted he wouldn't be coaching in the NFL today, who knows. He's a guy who started from scratch, lot of perseverance and hard work.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 07:03 PM)Bengalion Wrote: Good stuff. Didn't know his first yeat at Nebraska was very miserable, and I like his honesty whe he said that he was expecting to be drafted at the seventh round. A pity it didn't happen, but had he been drafted he wouldn't be coaching in the NFL today, who knows. He's a guy who started from scratch, lot of perseverance and hard work.

Ehhhhh..... I mean he got his first college coaching job via nepotism from his father-in-law followed by getting his first NFL coaching job via nepotism again from his father-in-law.

I'm sure it still required a lot of perseverance and hard work, but it's not exactly starting from scratch.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 07:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhhhh..... I mean he got his first college coaching job via nepotism from his father-in-law followed by getting his first NFL coaching job via nepotism again from his father-in-law.

I'm sure it still required a lot of perseverance and hard work, but it's not exactly starting from scratch.

Alot of NFL coaches get their first job via nepotism

Reply/Quote
Zac has built this team on high character team captains who love the game of football.........the culture allows the locker room leaders to run this team
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 08:43 PM)CincyKid Wrote: Zac has built this team on high character team captains who love the game of football.........the culture allows the locker room leaders to run this team

I thought about this when I was scrolling through the pictures of Sam Hubbard's football camp today.  I think he brought along half the defense and Joe Mixon for good measure.  Seriously, those kids got Trey Hendrickson, Logan Wilson, BJ Hill, DJ Reader, plus a bunch of the backups.  Bonus was Lou joining them too.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 07:47 PM)pally Wrote: Alot of NFL coaches get their first job via nepotism

Not denying that is reality, but I will deny that it is "starting from scratch". His first two jobs he got were both from nepotism. Just like we don't call a billionaire self-made if they got a million or two from their father as a personal loan to start up their business, even though that too happens. Just like in MLB extra innings now there's a runner that starts on 2nd, but we don't say the guy hit a double to get there.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 07:47 PM)pally Wrote: Alot of NFL coaches get their first job via nepotism

Nepotism some but more as friends. And does it matter? No. I mean in the coaching profession it happens all the time. Old Leonard the Leap diminishes Zac every chance he gets
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 04:33 PM)pally Wrote: It's not often that we get a 30-minute interview with Zac.  Its a good listen on a wide range of topics

THAT - was friggin fantastic.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 10:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Nepotism some but more as friends. And does it matter? No. I mean in the coaching profession it happens all the time. Old Leonard the Leap diminishes Zac every chance he gets

Not agreeing with blatantly false attributes to a guy isn't the same as diminishing him. Never said it doesn't happen all the time, but pretending that a guy who got given his first two jobs by his father-in-law was "starting from scratch" is a bit silly.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 12:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not agreeing with blatantly false attributes to a guy isn't the same as diminishing him. Never said it doesn't happen all the time, but pretending that a guy who got given his first two jobs by his father-in-law was "starting from scratch" is a bit silly.

You know for a fact his father in law got him that job?

A black cloud does seem to follow you around...... 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 12:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: You know for a fact his father in law got him that job?

A black cloud does seem to follow you around...... 

He got a his 1st coaching job because of his father in law period. How hard is it to see that white collar people are born on 3rd base & don't regress? It's how the world works, which is why we can't evolve beyond our greed. WTS I love Zach's way of coaching. Not a fan of his play calling though.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 09:10 PM)pally Wrote: I thought about this when I was scrolling through the pictures of Sam Hubbard's football camp today.  I think he brought along half the defense and Joe Mixon for good measure.  Seriously, those kids got Trey Hendrickson, Logan Wilson, BJ Hill, DJ Reader, plus a bunch of the backups.  Bonus was Lou joining them too.

exactly..........when the Captains take control of the locker room everything falls into line..........if someone screws up their teammate corrects them.........winning culture is not letting your team down, being in your gap, makin the tackle
Reply/Quote

"Its who you know, Not what you know" is a popular saying for a reason. It happens in every job market in the world.

DeMeco Ryan's is a perfect example his meteoric rise from defensive quality control to HC. Ryan's played in Houston in around 2010 the same time Kyle Shanahan and Robert Saleh were coaching there (Saleh might have been the linebackers coach I think.) In 2017 when Shanahan took the SanFran job he hired Saleh and gave Ryan's his first coaching opportunity. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 03:03 AM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: He got a his 1st coaching job because of his father in law period. How hard is it to see that white collar people are born on 3rd base & don't regress? It's how the world works, which is why we can't evolve beyond our greed. WTS I love Zach's way of coaching. Not a fan of his play calling though.

Sounds like you need to spend more time around "white collar people". People of all backgrounds struggle with things. Sorry for your life struggles and the bitter taste it's left you with. If you're in America, go change your situation the best you can. It's 100% possible and, quite frankly,  easy for most people who want to do so.

There's a old saying: It's not what you know, but who you know. 

People get opportunities by being around decision makers, byulding positive relationships, and efforting. That's how ZT did it because that's how the world works. It has nothing to do with being born on 3rd. If being born on 3rd means white collar family from your view, it soinds like you're not even in the game and are just sitting on your ass in the stands warching.

ZT' play calling has the Bengals in 1 SB & 2 AFCCG in 2 of his 4 seasons. What's not to like?
Reply/Quote
Seems some are taking exception to what LL stated. What he said was both true and complimentary of Zac.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Zac mentions that everyone likes Joe Burrow because he is genuine and you can just tell. Its also one of the reasons I like Zac Taylor he just seems like a genuine guy what you see is what you get.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 12:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not agreeing with blatantly false attributes to a guy isn't the same as diminishing him. Never said it doesn't happen all the time, but pretending that a guy who got given his first two jobs by his father-in-law was "starting from scratch" is a bit silly.

Wasn’t talking about really your comments on this thread. I’ve researched your posts endlessly and you diminish Taylor often. You are a good poster and very knowledgeable and perceptive. I won’t take that away from you but you are the most critical poster here.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 10:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems some are taking exception to what LL stated. What he said was both true and complimentary of Zac.

Yeah, I am by no means denying that he likely had to work some terrible hours and grind through some awful times where he wanted to quit. Coaching always sounds terrible anytime you hear about the hours they work and how little private life they often manage to have time for. Kudos to him for sticking it out and proving to be able to do the job well. I would never want to do it.

My only point of contention is that he started from scratch when he had a relative who got him his first two jobs. There's only something like ~640 coaching jobs in the NFL including assistant coaches (going off the Bengals 20). He got one with no experience above college TE Coach for a team that didn't have a TE break 150 yards in either of his last two years there. That's a huge advantage, but he certainly made the most of it so congrats to him.

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2023, 03:03 AM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: He got a his 1st coaching job because of his father in law period. How hard is it to see that white collar people are born on 3rd base & don't regress? It's how the world works, which is why we can't evolve beyond our greed. WTS I love Zach's way of coaching. Not a fan of his play calling though.

With a better OL finally I think you’ll like it much better this year. I learned Zac has different offensive assistants assigned to certain situations. Third and long, short yardage, goal line, Redzone etc. He’ll often say what you got? Then sometimes they give Joe the decision. Zac may not ask if he’s got one himself he feels solid with. But almost always Joe gets 2 plays. But they are based on his look.

Reply/Quote