Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Good Night Irene
https://youtu.be/SmWbGaT1jNY

For me, it's like Whitey Herzog used to say, "It's time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs!"
Do you believe in following the rules Bengalguy71?

Because the rules say the NFL can do all of the things listed in your post because of rules established in the league/player union contract. Any uniform or accessory worn by a player is subject to league rules.

There are no rules in the league/player union contract regarding standing for the anthem or staying in the locker room during the anthem.

So, for me it's like Alexander Pope used to say "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."
(08-13-2018, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because the rules say the NFL can do all of the things listed in your post because of rules established in the league/player union contract.  Any uniform or accessory worn by a player is subject to league rules.

Yeah, I've seen similar to the OP popping up on Facebook lately. But the issue is, the NFL/player union agreed to uniform rules. Appropriate shoe colors, writing things on your shoes.

It's a monetary issue. I liked Tebow's eye black, but what stops the next guy from having McDonald's under one eye and Big Mac under the other? Sponsorship is huge with the NFL, and the rules are designed to keep the league — and the owners — making it. The union agrees to the terms because its members get paid.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The real outrage should be Cam Newton's outfits...

[Image: 230246d31fd84ead86bafccf2b9ee3b7.jpg]
[Image: cam-newton-shoes-august-2016.jpg?w=1170]
[Image: cam-newton-outfits.jpg]

...if that's not conduct detrimental to the league, then what IS?   Ninja Ninja Ninja

(08-13-2018, 07:27 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, I've seen similar to the OP popping up on Facebook lately. But the issue is, the NFL/player union agreed to uniform rules. Appropriate shoe colors, writing things on your shoes.

It's a monetary issue. I liked Tebow's eye black, but what stops the next guy from having McDonald's under one eye and Big Mac under the other? Sponsorship is huge with the NFL, and the rules are designed to keep the league — and the owners — making it. The union agrees to the terms because its members get paid.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-13-2018, 07:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The real outrage should be Cam Newton's outfits...

Pretty much. Like “I’m going to Disneyland.” The owners are going to get their cut.
(08-13-2018, 06:07 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: https://youtu.be/SmWbGaT1jNY

For me, it's like Whitey Herzog used to say, "It's time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs!"

I don't think anyone here will argue that the NFLPA is not hypocritical.

WTS, I've grown beyond tired of the whole Anthem thing. For instance 4 Jags stayed in the locker room this past weekend and that made some upset. IMO that is the best solution; however, it appears the NFLPA does not agree and to be fair many short-sighted fans think they should be forced to stand and salute. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I am so gosh darn angry about this whole thing LOL
(08-13-2018, 07:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The real outrage should be Cam Newton's outfits...

[Image: 230246d31fd84ead86bafccf2b9ee3b7.jpg]
[Image: cam-newton-shoes-august-2016.jpg?w=1170]
[Image: cam-newton-outfits.jpg]

...if that's not conduct detrimental to the league, then what IS?   Ninja Ninja Ninja

Yeah, I would lose serious sleep if I did crap like this. But, the 3rd one reminds me of “Alice in Wonderland.” Wait.. something really freaked me out about that movie. Bad example!
(08-13-2018, 10:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, I would lose serious sleep if I did crap like this. But, the 3rd one reminds me of “Alice in Wonderland.” Wait.. something really freaked me out about that movie. Bad example!

I would say the last one is if the Mad Hatter and Harry Potter had a child, and then that child was in an episode of Saved by the Bell.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2018/08/13/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-no-comment-national-anthem/975006002/

Quote:Cowboys' Jerry Jones declines comment when asked about wearing hat during national anthem

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones declined comment Sunday when asked by reporters about why he did not remove his hat during the playing of the national anthem last month.

"No, no, no," said Jones, who has been outspoken in his feelings on national anthem conduct in recent weeks.
Jones wore his hat during the playing of the national anthem at Cowboys training camp late last month.

In the preceding week, he told reporters that, regardless of the league's policy, the Cowboys would require to stand during the pre-game rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner, "toe on the line." His son, team executive vice president and director of player personnel Stephen Jones, added in a radio interview the following day that players would stand during the anthem "if they want to be a Dallas Cowboy."
[/url]
[Image: d7BGUGP_2JMi6nTG?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[Image: -sc5J6Qd_normal.jpg]
Calvin Watkins

@calvinwatkins

Jerry Jones on the anthem, it’s brief, and the helmet rule change.
9:31 PM - Aug 12, 2018

• [url=https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins]See Calvin Watkins's other Tweets

Twitter Ads info and privacy

NFL players have kneeled and raised fists during the national anthem as a means of protesting police brutality and racial injustice, while critics — including President Donald Trump — have decried the demonstrations as unpatriotic. A rule change that passed in May would have required players to stand during the anthem if they were on the field or remain in the locker room, but the league and NFL Players' Association are currently re-examining that policy after the union filed a grievance.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-13-2018, 11:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2018/08/13/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-no-comment-national-anthem/975006002/

Just reading some of the comments on that twitter is hilarious. 

Jerry Jones is a slave master

DeMarcus Lawrence will make over $17 Mil this year

Do folks not know there's a huge difference between someone who fails to follow protocol out of ignorance or unintentionally and those that purposefully choose the disrespect the flag?     
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-14-2018, 12:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just reading some of the comments on that twitter is hilarious. 

Jerry Jones is a slave master

DeMarcus Lawrence will make over $17 Mil this year

Do folks not know there's a huge difference between someone who fails to follow protocol out of ignorance or unintentionally and those that purposefully choose the disrespect the flag?     

I guess folks don't know the huge hypocrisy of slamming those kneeling (who are not disrespecting the flag) and also not removing their hat...which everyone knows to do.

It does say you must remove your hat.  

But as long as we can make it about internet commenters and pretending the kneeling is still meant to "disrespect" the flag I guess it will get you through the night.   Smirk
Still waiting to hear about all the positive strides being made by kneeling.

So far all I see is division. Even those on the left have to admit that not everyone agrees with their take that kneeling is not a disrespectful act. I would like to believe that the opinion of roughly half the country counts for something.

So if half the country is upset by the action (a negative)...where is the positive? There should be a massive positive to offset the obvious negative, which is division.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-14-2018, 12:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Still waiting to hear about all the positive strides being made by kneeling.

So far all I see is division. Even those on the left have to admit that not everyone agrees with their take that kneeling is not a disrespectful act. I would like to believe that the opinion of roughly half the country counts for something.

So if half the country is upset by the action (a negative)...where is the positive? There should be a massive positive to offset the obvious negative, which is division.

It's hard to have positive strides when half the country doesn't want to talk about the issue that the kneeling is about but rather moan and complain about the kneeling.
(08-14-2018, 12:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's hard to have positive strides when half the country doesn't want to talk about the issue that the kneeling is about but rather moan and complain about the kneeling.

1. Some feel the problem is exaggerated or the unfortunate byproduct of violent crimes. The pure volume of violent encounters is naturally going to lead to a handful of mistakes per every million or so encounters. Occasionally you will have some bad apples. This does not mean we have a nationwide epidemic of racist bloodthirsty cops.

2. What are the suggestions of the kneelers on how to fix the perceived problem? How have they attempted to open dialogue with police departments or local governments? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-14-2018, 12:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Still waiting to hear about all the positive strides being made by kneeling.

(08-14-2018, 12:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Some feel the problem is exaggerated or the unfortunate byproduct of violent crimes. The pure volume of violent encounters is naturally going to lead to a handful of mistakes per every million or so encounters. Occasionally you will have some bad apples. This does not mean we have a nationwide epidemic of racist bloodthirsty cops.

2. What are the suggestions of the kneelers on how to fix the perceived problem? How have they attempted to open dialogue with police departments or local governments? 

A reminder that this was started by a guy who made $43.5m by the age of 28, who has chosen to NEVER vote in his life, publicly praised Fidel Castro, and then declined a $16.9m player option, and has an activist girlfriend who then tanked his last job opportunity by comparing the team's owner to a slave owner on social media (she is also known for saying this... “When 9/11 happened, it didn’t surprise me at all. Wow. Mmkay. This is what we went through, probably, every couple months.”).

There is no real purpose to it all. No end game. No positive. Just a soup sandwich that was a mixture of a guy trying to distract from his declining/undeveloping skills that made him lose out in a QB competition to *Blaine Gabbert* and a guy who is apparently the type of person who changes their likes/personality/beliefs to match their significant other in a relationship (we all know those people, and this started RIGHT when they got together).

(08-13-2018, 10:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would say the last one is if the Mad Hatter and Harry Potter had a child, and then that child was in an episode of Saved by the Bell.

Although unlikely, that seems like the best scenario.
(08-14-2018, 01:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A reminder that this was started by a guy who made $43.5m by the age of 28, who has chosen to NEVER vote in his life, publicly praised Fidel Castro, and then declined a $16.9m [b]player option, and has an activist girlfriend who then tanked his last job opportunity by comparing the team's owner to a slave owner on social media [/b](she is also known for saying this... “When 9/11 happened, it didn’t surprise me at all. Wow. Mmkay. This is what we went through, probably, every couple months.”).

There is no real purpose to it all. No end game. No positive. Just a soup sandwich that was a mixture of a guy trying to distract from his declining/undeveloping skills that made him lose out in a QB competition to *Blaine Gabbert* and a guy who is apparently the type of person who changes their likes/personality/beliefs to match their significant other in a relationship (we all know those people, and this started RIGHT when they got together).

(08-14-2018, 12:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: It's hard to have positive strides when half the country doesn't want to talk about the issue that the kneeling is about but rather moan and complain about the kneeling.

Again...no one wants to talk about racial inequality or violence toward minorities by the anyone let alone the police becuase they focus on CK and his girlfriend and his "declining skills". Why talk about the issue when we can further divide by saying a) there is no issue (without every looking into it) and b) *I* don't believe he's even serious.

And the wheels go round and round....
(08-14-2018, 12:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Still waiting to hear about all the positive strides being made by kneeling.

The half upset probably aren’t going to change their mind. Mostly they’ve just been complaining about disrespecting the flag or the military or something else. But I wonder what would be the best way to reach those folks.
(08-14-2018, 09:30 AM)Benton Wrote: The half upset probably aren’t going to change their mind. Mostly they’ve just been complaining about disrespecting the flag or the military or something else. But I wonder what would be the best way to reach those folks.

Not sure you can reach those folks.