Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Good Night Irene
Now it's just become the cool thing to do:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/student-leaves-tennessee-after-protest-over-blackface-imagery-spills-over-to-basketball-game-014545863.html

Quote:Students protest during anthem at basketball game
Those students remained seated during the national anthem as a form of protest.

WTF are they protesting? The snapchat images have been unanimously condemned, the school is investigating, the Flag of America and those that sacrificed for it has 0 to do with it.

The issue is some have said "sit if you want to, we'll be sympathetic to your needs"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-08-2019, 01:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Now it's just become the cool thing to do:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/student-leaves-tennessee-after-protest-over-blackface-imagery-spills-over-to-basketball-game-014545863.html

WTF are they protesting? The snapchat images have been unanimously condemned, the school is investigating, the Flag of America and those that sacrificed for it has 0 to do with it.

The issue is some have said "sit if you want to, we'll be sympathetic to your needs"

It sounds like they're protesting people getting scholarships based off being a minority.

Quote:We for racial equality boys. Bout to get this free college now that I’m black let’s gooooo #blacklivesmatter

The photos.  See just because you say "well everyone says it was wrong...let's all move along now" doesn't mean everyone HAS to move along.

Currently sitting down during the anthem gets attention for things.  They even got yours.

Maybe help speak out against the people who do the real awful things (like the photos) and not attack the people who protest it.  Even if "the school is investigating".   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The reason you can't expel students for wearing blackface is the same reason you can't condemn students for sitting during the anthem.

Why are so many people against freedom of speech/expression?

"America is about freedom of speech.....as long as you agree with me."

**EDIT** Actually you are free to disagree with any statement any person makes.  You just can't expect the government to punish either side unless it rises to the level of Hate speech that might incite violence.  Racist statements on instagram are much different than public speeches intended to motivate groups to action.

According to your article:

Quote:
Those students remained seated during the national anthem as a form of protest.

The News-Sentinel reports that the students led several chants condemning racism and calling for the students involved to be expelled.
"Hey, hey, ho, ho, racism has got to go," the students chanted.
"No justice, no peace, no racist, UT," they said another time.
"What do we want? Expulsion! When do we want it? Now!" they chanted at halftime.

This was in response to the school saying they likely wouldn't expel the student.

Your article then mentions that one of the kids involved "left" the school the next day. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-08-2019, 01:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: According to your article:

This was in response to the school saying they likely wouldn't expel the student.

Your article then mentions that one of the kids involved "left" the school the next day. 

How is any of that relevant to not standing for the Anthem. Hell if they want to protest the school; I have 0 issue with it.

"We're mad at the school so let's go to their basketball game and sit during the anthem".

As I said: It's a protest that has become bastardized; but as Fred said: totally legal.

(03-08-2019, 05:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How is any of that relevant to not standing for the Anthem. Hell if they want to protest the school; I have 0 issue with it.

"We're mad at the school so let's go to their basketball game and sit during the anthem".

As I said: It's a protest that has become bastardized; but as Fred said: totally legal.

My first question is "What does the road from Selma to Montgomery have to do with racial oppression?", but the more I think about it the real question is "What does the national anthem have to do with a basketball game?".

But here is my attempt to answer your question.  Some minorities feel that if racism is accepted then they are still considered second class citizens and therefore the US is not the "land of the free".
(03-08-2019, 06:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My first question is "What does the road from Selma to Montgomery have to do with racial oppression?", but the more I think about it the real question is "What does the national anthem have to do with a basketball game?".

But here is my attempt to answer your question.  Some minorities feel that if racism is accepted then they are still considered second class citizens and therefore the US is not the "land of the free".
Who accepted racism in this instance? As I said it's just becoming the thing to do.

(03-08-2019, 08:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who accepted racism in this instance? As I said it's just becoming the thing to do.

The University for not expelling students for racial comments/actions.

And protest has always been "the thing to do".  What do you even mean by that statement?
(03-08-2019, 05:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How is any of that relevant to not standing for the Anthem.

Because you asked what they were protesting.  Mellow

Apparently you actually meant WHY did they chose to protest during the national anthem being played at a sporting event. I believe that you are familiar with the fact that it has been common for the last two years for people to protest racial issues during the anthem of sporting events. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

The Women's World Cup got me thinking: I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume no one has changed their stance on Professional players kneeling. Just curious to know if anyone ProKneeling stance changes if you are doing it while representing your country in an international event.

[Image: th?id=OIP._H3amnXTv7TiUqRrqcR-CwHaEH&w=2....3&pid=1.7]

The National Team has since established a "no-kneeling" rule; however, the player in question refuses to place her hand over her heart or sign along. 

(06-17-2019, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Women's World Cup got me thinking: I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume no one has changed their stance on Professional players kneeling. Just curious to know if anyone ProKneeling stance changes if you are doing it while representing your country in an international event.

[Image: th?id=OIP._H3amnXTv7TiUqRrqcR-CwHaEH&w=2....3&pid=1.7]

The National Team has since established a "no-kneeling" rule; however, the player in question refuses to place her hand over her heart or sign along. 

Good timing if she was thinking about the black family in Arizona who was held at gunpoint because their toddler took a doll from the dollar store. 

I still disagree with it though. And even though I don't know who this lady is. I now have a lower opinion of her. 
Seems she's being doing these protests for a few years.

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/megan-rapinoe-anthem-protests-reasoning

I don't find it any more out of line then I would have in 1968.

But I'm sure others would rather she protest "some other way".
(06-17-2019, 02:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Just curious to know if anyone ProKneeling stance changes if you are doing it while representing your country in an international event.

Makes no difference to me.  In fact I would argue that it is even a more powerful message on the world stage.

Just ask former Bengal Tommy Smith.

[Image: ABTHE2SKQMI6RAECCBNEI3IZXA.jpg]

BTW I notice that you don't seem to have any problem with Trump criticizing fellow Americans when on international trips.
I, personally, think that protesting in this way for international competition, on the world stage, is not only okay, but outstanding. If we are going to be the become of freedom, liberty, and democracy that we like to pretend we are then we should welcome any sort of protest by our athletes competing in this way. It is a signal to other countries that we are strong enough to allow dissent among our most celebrated citizens. That we welcome the free exchange of ideas and do not try to silence those that may disagree with what is going on in our country. When we chastise these athletes for their protest, when we punish them for doing this sort of thing, it shows the world that our country's ego is fragile and that we don't walk our talk. How can we hope to spread democracy if we can't lead by example?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Always good to get varying opinions. I find it to be hypocritical of her as she benefits (endorsements) from being on the National Team; yet she kneels for oppression. If you feel that strongly about your country and its oppression why represent it?

Also I don't require folks giving the same support to Jaelene Hickle when she refused to wear the gay pride jersey the team wore. Matter of fact she got quite a bit of hate for it and was black-balled from the team.

(06-17-2019, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Always good to get varying opinions. I find it to be hypocritical of her as she benefits (endorsements) from being on the National Team; yet she kneels for oppression. If you feel that strongly about your country and its oppression why represent it?

I'm not her but maybe it's because she feels strongly about those being oppressed and since she has the platform and ability to speak for those who are not heard she takes that opportunity.

(06-17-2019, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Also I don't require folks giving the same support to Jaelene Hickle when she refused to wear the gay pride jersey the team wore. Matter of fact she got quite a bit of hate for it and was black-balled from the team.

There is a difference, IMHO, between speaking FOR a group and speaking AGAINST a group. Standing up to say a group is oppressed and should be held as equals is not the same as saying a group is lesser and you don't care if they are oppressed.

While all the speech is allowed it is not all the same...to me.
(06-17-2019, 04:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm not her but maybe it's because she feels strongly about those being oppressed and since she has the platform and ability to speak for those who are not heard she takes that opportunity.

There is a difference, IMHO, between speaking FOR a group and speaking AGAINST a group.  Standing up to say a group is oppressed and should be held as equals is not the same as saying  a group is lesser and you don't care if they are oppressed.

While all the speech is allowed it is not all the same...to me.
Yeah, to me it just seems kind of silly. "I'm going to support this country and play for it, but I'm also going to condemn it".

Although I don't agree with Professional players kneeling I feel they have the right, but I'm not sure the same holds true for those that play for the Red, White, and Blue.

I recently watched a story on the Syrian Men's team that makes all this look petty.

Why can it not be considered that Rapione is speaking AGAINST Patriots and Hickle is speaking FOR Religious Freedoms? 

(06-17-2019, 04:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, to me it just seems kind of silly. "I'm going to support this country and play for it, but I'm also going to condemn it".

Although I don't agree with Professional players kneeling I feel they have the right, but I'm not sure the same holds true for those that play for the Red, White, and Blue.

Just a different point of view. In the minds of many, the ultimate form of patriotism is questioning your government.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-17-2019, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Always good to get varying opinions. I find it to be hypocritical of her as she benefits (endorsements) from being on the National Team; yet she kneels for oppression. If you feel that strongly about your country and its oppression why represent it?

Also I don't require folks giving the same support to Jaelene Hickle when she refused to wear the gay pride jersey the team wore. Matter of fact she got quite a bit of hate for it and was black-balled from the team.

IIRC, she refused to join the team because of the jersey, which she stated as her reason on a Christian radio show. Then she got hate from people for that position. Either way, opinions are opinions, and people are allowed to have them. They don't matter a ton to me, but they are free to have them.