Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good Outside Zone Explanation
I’m a big nerd about technique and saw Dan Orlovsky tweet this and figured I’d share. It’s an explanation of the outside zone and is running it. Some good nuances to what is happening during the play and what all goes in to make it work.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 09:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m a big nerd about technique and saw Dan Orlovsky tweet this and figured I’d share. It’s an explanation of the outside zone and is running it. Some good nuances to what is happening during the play and what all goes in to make it work.

Awesome.  Great post!

What I love most about this is it establishes an identity, i.e. what are you?  If the Bengals can continue to solidify this and fine tune it down the stretch watch out.  Not only because it establishes the run game but what it will do for the passing game.  If they become a stop-the-run first team (not just by words but by opposing teams actions) the passing game will thrive.  It will open up so much.

Maybe that's what all these players are talking about when they say "we're starting to hit our stride".  Man this is good stuff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have no idea if this has anything to do with this but it seemed like Mixon was taking the small gaps in the blocks instead of bailing to the outside of the line against the Steelers.

I get this feeling that coaching with Mixon and the line blocking better is paying dividends.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 10:05 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I have no idea if this has anything to do with this but it seemed like Mixon was taking the small gaps in the blocks instead of bailing to the outside of the line against the Steelers.

I get this feeling that coaching with Mixon and the line blocking better is paying dividends.

With the zone blocking scheme, the hole that the RB hits is in flux and isn't decided until the very last second. Goods RBs see where the holes will open as the play develops before the hole actually opens. That anticipation is what seperates the wheat from the chaff at RB. When you see Mixon somehow hitting a tiny hole and bursting through to the second level, you are seeing him read his Olineman and knowing where they will be and how their block will result.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 09:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m a big nerd about technique and saw Dan Orlovsky tweet this and figured I’d share. It’s an explanation of the outside zone and is running it. Some good nuances to what is happening during the play and what all goes in to make it work.

This line is so disciplined. When was the last time we had a false start or holding call? And if it was recent, how long before that one?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 10:15 PM)treee Wrote: With the zone blocking scheme, the hole that the RB hits is in flux and isn't decided until the very last second. Goods RBs see where the holes will open as the play develops before the hole actually opens. That anticipation is what seperates the wheat from the chaff at RB. When you see Mixon somehow hitting a tiny hole and bursting through to the second level, you are seeing him read his Olineman and knowing where they will be and how their block will result.

Right.

Perhaps it's just clicking or his vision is getting better.

It sure felt like before that Joe was bailing on the blocks and using physical talent to get positive yards instead of taking the small gap.

Of course confidence in successful blocking can cure that as well. Wink
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 10:27 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Right.

Perhaps it's just clicking or his vision is getting better.

It sure felt like before that Joe was bailing on the blocks and using physical talent to get positive yards instead of taking the small gap.

Of course confidence in successful blocking can cure that as well. Wink

Could be. Rather than taking the easy cutback for 3 yards, trusting his Olineman will complete the block and stay engaged with the defender enough to squeeze through and hit the 2nd level. 
Reply/Quote
It certainly doesn't hurt that Mixon is 6'2" while a lot of backs are far shorter..Six two and built like a brick shithouse. He's about to break a whole lot of Bengals records I think.. You youngins will have years to remember Mixon..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 10:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: It certainly doesn't hurt that Mixon is 6'2" while a lot of backs are far shorter..Six two and built like a brick shithouse. He's about to break a whole lot of Bengals records I think.. You youngins will have years to remember Mixon..

6’1” but he is still only 25 so he may keep growing like Paul Bunyan
Reply/Quote

(11-30-2021, 10:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 6’1” but he is still only 25 so he may keep growing like Paul Bunyan

I am SO glad someone posted the Dan Orlovsky video! His explanation of the outside zone and the blocking required to execute it successfully was OUTSTANDING!

As for Joe Mixon I saw him up close at the game against the Steelers and he is a LOT bigger than he looks on TV. I can see why he’s so hard to tackle.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 11:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I am SO glad someone posted the Dan Orlovsky video!  His explanation of the outside zone and the blocking required to execute it successfully was OUTSTANDING!

As for Joe Mixon I saw him up close at the game against the Steelers and he is a LOT bigger than he looks on TV.  I can see why he’s so hard to tackle.

This is a large part of why the first thing Pollack prioritized fixing when he replaced Turner was the footwork . This scheme lives and dies on the footwork of the linemen. 
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed that; when Orlovsky isn't giving bad takes, he actually has good material... but still cringe:

"Synchronocity! A big word, I know I got it right!"

It's Synchronicity LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Orlovsky forgot to mention Frank Pollack also worked with Bill Callahan and Gary Kubiak for a couple of years. Between Gibbs, Kubiak, and Callahan Pollack has learned from some of the best Wide Zone coaches ever.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Reply/Quote

Golden, Goldie.

I really like Orlavsky as an analyst.  I liked him a lot as a player (made a lot betting on him at UCONN...no one seemed to know how good he was back then, and he got a raw deal ending up at the Lions.....but I digress).

This is a really cool (and energetic) demonstration and I think he is showing mad props to Pollack and the line with those "GOAT" references.  

Good share, man.  Props.  
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 10:20 PM)Interceptor Wrote: This line is so disciplined. When was the last time we had a false start or holding call? And if it was recent, how long before that one?

They did have a holding call against the Steelers, but it was late in the game when the back ups were in. Trey Hill held on 1st and 10 with 10:36 left in the 4th quarter. They were on their own 7 though, so it was only a 3 yard penalty.

We had no offensive penalties against the Raiders.

We had 3 offensive penalties against Cleveland, 1 of which was declined (illegal use of hands) and 1 of which was a delay of game. The third was a hold on Spain, which is a shame because it wiped away a 32 yard reception by Chase.

You have to go all the way back to the NYJ game to find a false start. Jackson Carman on the first play of the 2nd half.

Overall, incredibly disciplined line. There were two illegal use of hands penalties that were declined in that 4 game stretch, but those were both declined.
Reply/Quote
That was a fun clip to watch especially since it was Bengals focused. I never played football at any level other than backyard ball so I appreciate getting to learn Xs & Os type stuff.
Reply/Quote
Discipline and execution make a world of difference. Just last year many of us were talking about how bad and untalented these guys were. What an impact decent coaching and leadership makes?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That was beauty seeing the O-line in sync like that. That’s coaching, and time together. They trust each other and Joe trusts them. I hope this continues and Mixon stays healthy. If we run the ball like that, we can beat anyone.
Reply/Quote
Outside Zone is why the OL need to be highly athletic and intelligent.
It requires a level of cohesion and athleticism that isn't that common to possess for OL coming into the league.

Honestly, I'm surprised that the Bengals didn't go with Sam Cosmi over Jackson Carman given how athletic and versatile he is.
Cosmi's RAS - https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=18005&pos=OT
Maybe they saw Cosmi as an OT-only prospect and didn't think he'd be successful playing OG. I dunno.

FWIW, Cosmi is balling out at RT this season with WFT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote