Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good Outside Zone Explanation
(11-30-2021, 10:15 PM)treee Wrote: Goods RBs see where the holes will open as the play develops before the hole actually opens. That anticipation is what seperates the wheat from the chaff at RB. 

This X 1000

"Field vision" is key to being a great RB and it is impossible to measure with any test or drill. The ability to process the information of 20 players moving at different speeds and angles is as complicated as doing complex math or playing a musical instrument. Some people just have a natural gift for it.

There is a video of Barry Sanders making a cut on a break away run to avoid a guy coming up behind him. It looks like magic because Barry can't see him. But he had just seen the guy earlier in the play and knew where he would be based on his speed and pursuit angle.

Great running backs see the holes before they open.
Reply/Quote
That was good stuff. These boys up front are playing pretty good football for as much as they've been maligned. Great analysis by Orlovsky, and tracing the lineage with our coaches.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really like Dan O. Maybe the only ESPN personality I can tolerate at the moment. Dude is just all about ball.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 01:21 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I really like Dan O. Maybe the only ESPN personality I can tolerate at the moment. Dude is just all about ball.

He absolutely loves Burrow, too.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 01:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He absolutely loves Burrow, too.

Orlovsky was also in the #TeamSewell camp and did not like the Bengals taking Chase there instead.
https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-nfl-draft-jamarr-chase-penei-sewell-mistake-protect-joe-burrow-dan-orlovsky
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Orlovsky was also in the #TeamSewell camp and did not like the Bengals taking Chase there instead.
https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-nfl-draft-jamarr-chase-penei-sewell-mistake-protect-joe-burrow-dan-orlovsky

Just when you thought it was a time for civility among most Bengal fans, the Sewell/Chase debate finds a way to rear it's ugly head..  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 02:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just when you thought it was a time for civility among most Bengal fans, the Sewell/Chase debate finds a way to rear it's ugly head..  Ninja

You're welcome  Smirk

In all seriousness though, I was just pointing out that Orlovsky hasn't been completely pro-Bengals.
He's been critical of them too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Orlovsky was also in the #TeamSewell camp and did not like the Bengals taking Chase there instead.

No issues with people being team Seawell or team Chase. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

It's when people can't admit they were wrong (Keyshawn Johnson) and still bag on the Bengals is when I have an issue with it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
It's taken time as we should have expected, but we are starting to reap the benefits of good coaching. The line is far more in sync than Turner ever had it and is far more disciplined. It even goes to how they frustrated Watt last week which was interesting - help the OT with a chip but also they had a receiver or back coming out of the backfield who in essence "chipped" Watt again, preventing him from really using straight line speed to attack the QB. I expect a similar approach to Bosa.

Yes the talent on the line has improved in part courtesy of the picks we invested in the line which have rebuilt the depth chart but also courtesy of Spain transforming LG from a major issue into a strength and Riley Reiff being a large upgrade at RT. But the upgrade in coaching is also a big factor - Burrow has pockets and time the vast majority of his drop backs and didn't before - a damning indictment of Turner.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 03:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No issues with people being team Seawell or team Chase. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. 

It's when people can't admit they were wrong (Keyshawn Johnson) and still bag on the Bengals is when I have an issue with it. 

Yesterday, i got the shock of my life. 

Prepare youself for this...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Pretty certain that the majority NFL of teams use a zone run scheme.

(TE)...... (OT).... (OG).... (Ctr).
Outside - Wide - Inside - Midline.... the difference is just where the back is looking to hit. The running game is pretty straightforward and easy to understand. (As opposed to pass plays where everything has multiple layers.)

Really good article with lots of videos: https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Football-Zone-Run-Glossary-153192813/
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2021, 09:23 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m a big nerd about technique and saw Dan Orlovsky tweet this and figured I’d share. It’s an explanation of the outside zone and is running it. Some good nuances to what is happening during the play and what all goes in to make it work.

Great breakdown by Dan and awesome vid, really clears up a lot in a short time there. Thanks for sharing. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Good article although the wide zone used by the Bengals and Rams (Alex Gibbs school) is not identical to the article in that it has some elements of a sweep incorporated.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 03:37 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Pretty certain that the majority NFL of teams use a zone run scheme.

(TE)......       (OT)....      (OG)....       (Ctr).
Outside - Wide - Inside - Midline.... the difference is just where the back is looking to hit. The running game is pretty straightforward and easy to understand. (As opposed to pass plays where everything has multiple layers.)

Really good article with lots of videos: https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Football-Zone-Run-Glossary-153192813/

I'd edit this to say most teams have a zone scheme within their running game, but today most teams have hybrid running games. Even guys off the Shannahan tree aren't running straight zone schemes anymore and mixing some other concepts in now.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 06:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'd edit this to say most teams have a zone scheme within their running game, but today most teams have hybrid running games. Even guys off the Shannahan tree aren't running straight zone schemes anymore and mixing some other concepts in now.

Yeah, straight running schemes are kind of a thing of the past.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2021, 06:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'd edit this to say most teams have a zone scheme within their running game, but today most teams have hybrid running games. Even guys off the Shannahan tree aren't running straight zone schemes anymore and mixing some other concepts in now.

(12-01-2021, 09:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, straight running schemes are kind of a thing of the past.

Correct. I never meant it to be the entire running playbook. A simple blitz package would stop your run game. However like the OP, I was trying to kick some football knowledge to those people whom never played and those that played only up to HS... where I am guessing teams in Ohio use the old alphanumeric gap run calls. That is what I used playing from elementary to high school in Pennsylvania.

As you can see in the UCLA link... 1 team has multiple runs for every zone (i.e. stretch, counter etc..). But you draft the OL that can move to use this type of run game (i.e. zone). Not every lineman can be placed into a power scheme and not every lineman can play in a zone scheme. This is similar to the 3-4 or 4-3 defense (e.g. 3-4 DE are bigger run stoppers and you use OLB to pass rush whereas you use DE to pass rush in the 4-3). You can flirt with both but either 1 or the other is your base. Zone lineman can move, power scheme lineman can get away with being less agile.
Reply/Quote