Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Test For O-Line Thursday
Did anyone else watch the Bears-Ravens game on Thursday? The Bears D-Line looked pretty formidable. From what I recall, they had a pretty good defense last year and look to be the same this year.

I think Thursday will be a good first eye test on how much of the TC hype is real and how much is fluff. Is this O-line going to actually be fixed like we believe it will be?

Speaking of Thursday, how long do you keep a guy like Billy Price out here?
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Price needs a lot of work so hopefully he gets a decent amount of snaps.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 01:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Did anyone else watch the Bears-Ravens game on Thursday? The Bears D-Line looked pretty formidable. From what I recall, they had a pretty good defense last year and look to be the same this year.

I think Thursday will be a good first eye test on how much of the TC hype is real and how much is fluff. Is this O-line going to actually be fixed like we believe it will be?

I watched part of the bears/rat birds game...
both teams ran the ball well at times....
IDK.....hard to tell what may unfold....

but at this point, our O-lines first game together i'm not expecting a great game....
just give me "average" at this point....& no more than 2 A.D. sacks....score at least 24 points....no injuries...? pls...

hopefully when the season starts they'll have a feel for what works & what doesn't.....then I want an above par performance in every game.....
I want Mixon to hit 100+ yards in every game....& 30+ through the air....
Gio to hit 40 on the ground....25+ in the air
no more than 1 sack on Dalton per game...
250 to 300 yards passing for Dalton in every game....w/ no more than 8 int's all year
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 01:49 PM)Steve Wrote:  I want an above par performance in every game.....
250 to 300 yards passing for Dalton in every game....w/ no more than 8 int's all year

So you want the #1 offense in the entire league. No pressure lol Those are some lofty goals man.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 01:49 PM)Steve Wrote: I watched part of the bears/rat birds game...
both teams ran the ball well at times....
IDK.....hard to tell what may unfold....

but at this point, our O-lines first game together i'm not expecting a great game....
just give me "average" at this point....& no more than 2 A.D. sacks....score at least 24 points....no injuries...? pls...

hopefully when the season starts they'll have a feel for what works & what doesn't.....then I want an above par performance in every game.....

I hope the same, but we will see what happens.

I'm more interested in this upcoming game and how the tackles will handle the stunts from the Bears D-line. The Bears have depth much like we do on the D-line. Expecting a low scoring game on Thursday. It's possible that Barkley will have a rough night. They also have the upperhand already having seen some action, and the Bengals will be having their first snaps against real competition.

I'm super excited for the receivers this year, but it will be interesting to see how much they can show in preseason with the backup O-line/Barkley running things. Nervous about what Thursday will look like in Quarter 3 lol
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 01:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Did anyone else watch the Bears-Ravens game on Thursday? The Bears D-Line looked pretty formidable. From what I recall, they had a pretty good defense last year and look to be the same this year.

Billy Price needs to be out there until the defensive tackles beg for mercy.
Reply/Quote

Watched some of it, it was nice to see some football again even if it was those teams.

Corea the Linebacker on the Bears had a good game.

The Bears got screwed with that new lowering the helmet rule though, didn't like it.

They had like 5 or 6 of these lowering the helmet calls in the little time i watched.

Price needs a lot of snaps it seems, it is okay if he fumbles in the Preseason, get this stuff over with now.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 01:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Speaking of Thursday, how long do you keep a guy like Billy Price out here?

Obviously, he needs to get reps with each of the QBs, was well as build continuity with the rest of the starters and guys auditioning for the Right side spots.  But, you don't want him out there so long that he gets fatigued and becomes susceptible to injury risk.  For a 1st outing of the year, I'd say between a quarter and a half of action, depending on offensive time of possession.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watched some of it, it was nice to see some football again even if it was those teams.

The Bears got screwed with that new lowering the helmet rule though, didn't like it.

They had like 5 or 6 of these lowering the helmet calls in the little time i watched.

Price needs a lot of snaps it seems, it is okay if he fumbles in the Preseason, get this stuff over with now.

This and would like to see him get most of the first half if not all of it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Watched some of it, it was nice to see some football again even if it was those teams.

To be honest, I think this is a new rule that will haunt some Bengals and could end up causing suspensions, that, if, by chance, this team gets some wind in their sail, it will take it right out. It's going to be a nightmare and I think it will be called on 'anything in the vicinity' type stuff.

Let's see how consistent this is called.  (Will media's favorites [Pitt, NE, GB, and Dallas] get called out the same??).  That's another thing the refs can 'choose' to control the tempo of the games with, just like the holding calls in the trenches!
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 01:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: This and would like to see him get most of the first half if not all of it.

He has been snapping better with Dalton than the backups, Price needs to get used to different QB's under Center.

This will only help him, but we don't want to play him too much and risk injury either, fine line.

(08-05-2018, 01:46 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: To be honest, I think this is a new rule that will haunt some Bengals and could end up causing suspensions, that, if, by chance, this team gets some wind in their sail, it will take it right out. It's going to be a nightmare and I think it will be called on 'anything in the vicinity' type stuff.

Let's see how consistent this is called.  (Will media's favorites [Pitt, NE, GB, and Dallas] get called out the same??).  That's another thing the refs can 'choose' to control the tempo of the games with, just like the holding calls in the trenches!

Besides injuries and the gelling process with the new coaches and players this is my biggest concern this year.

This new rule could end up costing games all over the league and we all know we are on the shortside of calls
more than any team being in the same Division as the darling of all darlings of the NFL. Look for Iloka to cost a
couple of games if the refs do not get this under control.

The HOF game was a joke from what i saw. Terrible calls all over especially that one that set up the Ravens in
the Redzone for the go ahead TD from Lamar to their new TE.

BTW, Lamar got sacked a few times, think he is going to have it harder in the NFL than some are thinking.

Cannot get stood up and hit here and expect to not get hurt in the NFL. Newton even knows this and is built like
Lebron James. Concussions will take you out, not to mention what has happened to RG3 who looked much better
than Lamar in this game.
Reply/Quote
I think the new rules are going to be more damaging to fan support than the anthem stuff last year... how long before games are 5+ hour ref shows? Its headed that way. I'd really like to see the NFL get rid of Goodell and get an actual football guy in there.

Excited to see the OL work in a live game situation finally. I think the Bears are going to be a pretty good team this year so it should be a good test. We finally can get a glimpse of our new OL in a game and see if Pollack's presence improves the outcome a bit.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 01:46 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: To be honest, I think this is a new rule that will haunt some Bengals and could end up causing suspensions, that, if, by chance, this team gets some wind in their sail, it will take it right out. It's going to be a nightmare and I think it will be called on 'anything in the vicinity' type stuff.

I think most will struggle with the new rule. But as for your concern about the NFL Divas? That's a legitimate concern. Easy rule to use when you want to change a teams probable "L" into an easy "W."

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 03:34 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I think the new rules are going to be more damaging to fan support than the anthem stuff last year... how long before games are 5+ hour ref shows? Its headed that way. I'd really like to see the NFL get rid of Goodell and get an actual football guy in there.

Excited to see the OL work in a live game situation finally. I think the Bears are going to be a pretty good team this year so it should be a good test. We finally can get a glimpse of our new OL in a game and see if Pollack's presence improves the outcome a bit.

Yup

How many years now has nobody really known what a catch is or isn't ? Now they're adding in what's a clean tackle and what's against the rules into the very grey open to interpretation hell.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 04:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think most will struggle with the new rule. But as for your concern about the NFL Divas? That's a legitimate concern. Easy rule to use when you want to change a teams probable "L" into an easy "W."

I truly believe there is something to all that HD, after seeing some very shady calls and shady overturns or non-overturns on the replays.

This and the anthem fiasco made it easy to decide NOT to give another dime to ANY part of the NFL.

I will continue to follow scores and watch highlights on the Bengals website but that's it.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 04:35 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I truly believe there is something to all that HD, after seeing some very shady calls and shady overturns or non-overturns on the replays.

This and the anthem fiasco made it easy to decide NOT to give another dime to ANY part of the NFL.

I will continue to follow scores and watch highlights on the Bengals website but that's it.

I will not be one of those guys that bashes you for this opinion. I still like to believe there is no favoritism in football, but my gut tells me different. Just another battle between mind and soul to be added to the list of millions I think about. At 51 yrs old, I've learned nothing is black and white as I like to make it and people lie, cheat and hurt people everyday. Why can't it happen in the NFL. Plus I'm a Bengal's fan. Shit I've seen towards this organization is puzzling. I feel we've been robbed on quite a few occasions. But then, there's usually legitimate arguments to calm my mind down and deal with it.

WTS, I still want revenge on the Steelers every game we play them. 2015 was horrible. I think about this often (no, not often enough to need counseling, but very close). The JuJu hit on Burfict? OMG! I want revenge so bad! Yet, the revenge I want would cause prison terms so I have to realize it wont happen.

Reply/Quote
First and foremost, I just want to see no fumbled snaps and Price out there as long as needed to get comfortable.

I'd also like to see the right side of the line looking good and hopefully solidifying itself part of the line.

We still have a few games for both, but our season is shot without both, so the fine-tuning needs to be happening.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 04:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I will not be one of those guys that bashes you for this opinion. I still like to believe there is no favoritism in football, but my gut tells me different. Just another battle between mind and soul to be added to the list of millions I think about. At 51 yrs old, I've learned nothing is black and white as I like to make it and people lie, cheat and hurt people everyday. Why can't it happen in the NFL. Plus I'm a Bengal's fan. Shit I've seen towards this organization is puzzling. I feel we've been robbed on quite a few occasions. But then, there's usually legitimate arguments to calm my mind down and deal with it.

WTS, I still want revenge on the Steelers every game we play them. 2015 was horrible. I think about this often (no, not often enough to need counseling, but very close). The JuJu hit on Burfict? OMG! I want revenge so bad! Yet, the revenge I want would cause prison terms so I have to realize it wont happen.

I want revenge as well but not so much for the hit (Burfict would probably even agree live by the sword die by the sword) but the taunting while standing over a hurt player, the yelling karma bs, and the stupid TD celebration re-enactment in a game they weren’t even playing us (obsessed much?). The next Bengals player to lay a huge hit on one of those scumbags is going to be a true hero!

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2018, 05:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I want revenge as well but not so much for the hit (Burfict would probably even agree live by the sword die by the sword) but the taunting while standing over a hurt player, the yelling karma bs, and the stupid TD celebration re-enactment in a game they weren’t even playing us (obsessed much?). The next Bengals player to lay a huge hit on one of those scumbags is going to be a true hero!

Yep!

Reply/Quote
That game just reinforced my feeling that Lamar Jackson is Terrell Pryor II.
Reply/Quote