Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good article on MMQB this morning ....
(05-03-2017, 03:28 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I can remember a time with Bengals boards (old one was brutal) fans ripped AD for getting out of bed. It is good to see a great young man get the respect he deserves as an NFL QB. Yes, he needs to win playoff games, bit I like him, I respect him and guys like him are great for the NFL and for our community.

I will go on a limb and say AD has his best year in 2017 and then bests that in 2018 if he can avoid injury.

Ah the old days of Mulligan and Cornerblitz. I'd say every obscure number and every facet of Dalton's game was gone over with a fine tooth comb back then. Fortunately, I think most people have come around on Andy these days. You still get occasional remarks about Andy needing weapons though, as if other QBs don't.

I think 2018 can be a career year if the o-line improves. We'll see, but I know I love when the passing game is firing on all cylinders. Hopefully Ross and Mixon get a real chance to earn starting jobs. It should be open competition with no loyalty. If it is, I think both will be starting from day one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think it's partly that he was drafted 35th overall (something King mentioned as if it shows his talent level) and the fact that he came in with AJ Green drafted ahead of him. The perception ever since is that AJ Green is carrying a bad QB. Of course, the bad playoff games haven't helped Andy's case, and no one in the national media is going to look deeply enough at the Bengals to see that's more of a team wide issue under Marvin. It's much easier to just feed the "Dalton is mediocre" narrative.

I'd say you're right.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ah the old days of Mulligan and Cornerblitz. I'd say every obscure number and every facet of Dalton's game was gone over with a fine tooth comb back then. Fortunately, I think most people have come around on Andy these days. You still get occasional remarks about Andy needing weapons though, as if other QBs don't.

I think 2018 can be a career year if the o-line improves. We'll see, but I know I love when the passing game is firing on all cylinders. Hopefully Ross and Mixon get a real chance to earn starting jobs. It should be open competition with no loyalty. If it is, I think both will be starting from day one.

Even Cornerblitz came around at the end.....I'd say mullsy was a troll....maybe even for the FO Ninja LMAO

He could sling shit at Andy all day long, but say one bad thing about Son of Paul, and he would lose it.  If memory serves, he got the ban hammer over an argument about stats on Mike Clown's tenure.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ah the old days of Mulligan and Cornerblitz. I'd say every obscure number and every facet of Dalton's game was gone over with a fine tooth comb back then. Fortunately, I think most people have come around on Andy these days. You still get occasional remarks about Andy needing weapons though, as if other QBs don't.

Every QB needs at least two good weapons on the field every game.

Dallas has Elliott, Bryant, Witten, and Beasley
GB has Nelson, Adams, Montgomery, and now Martellus Bennett
NE has Gronk, Edelman, and an array of RBs
PIT has Brown, Bell, and Bryant
OAK has Cooper, Crabtree, and a good RB (Murray before, now Lynch)
TB has Evans, Martin, and now OJ Howard
ARI has Fitz, David Johnson, and Brown
ATL has Julio, Gabriel, Freeman, and Coleman
NO had Thomas, Ingram, Fleener and had Cooks too
NYJ has Beckham, Shepard, and now Marshall
Chargers have Gordon, Allen, Gates, and Henry

Every offense slows down if you take this list of playmakers down to 1 or 0.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:04 AM)Shady Wrote: I object to how the article treats Dalton as some kind of sub-par QB. That's clearly not the case IMHO. Otherwise, I'm glad someone can recognize the talent we drafted in the first two rounds for our offense. I'm curious to see just how quickly Malone might develop.

Call me what you want... but I for some reason find Josh Malone the eventual A.J. Green replacement..

Green is turning 29 in 2 months and will be 31 or 32 when his contract ends.. Malone has the size and speed to be that #1 receiver if Bengals don't resign A.J. in the future.

For f*cks sake, the man ran a 4.4 at the size of 6'3.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:26 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Call me what you want... but I for some reason find Josh Malone the eventual A.J. Green replacement..

Green is turning 29 in 2 months and will be 31 or 32 when his contract ends..
Malone has the size and speed to be that #1 receiver if Bengals don't resign A.J. in the future.

I don't know why, but it still feels like he's only 25 years old.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Mulligan, Hammerthis and a couple of other trolls made the old board so unpleasant a lot of people just stopped visiting. Thankfully here we seem to have a better handle on how to handle that sort of stuff. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's pretty clear the Bengals are going full spread offense this year and hoping the pass opens up the run.
Hope it works!

I'll just be happy if the play calling is less predictable than last year. I think passing to setup the run will work. We did a lot of that in the 05 season, curious to see how this bunch does.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 05:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Mulligan, Hammerthis and a couple of other trolls made the old board so unpleasant a lot of people just stopped visiting. Thankfully here we seem to have a better handle on how to handle that sort of stuff. 

I must be one of the very few who actually miss Mulligan.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:04 AM)Shady Wrote: I object to how the article treats Dalton as some kind of sub-par QB. That's clearly not the case IMHO. Otherwise, I'm glad someone can recognize the talent we drafted in the first two rounds for our offense. I'm curious to see just how quickly Malone might develop.

AD's line got him killed last year so it was impossible to build upon 2015's success.Which sucks because his 2015 showed he is capable of some great QB play.

Buuuuuut, big time players make big time plays in big time games. THAT is what separates the greats and the goods. It's why Joe Montana's in the Hall of Fame and Kenny Anderson isn't. If AD is a great QB... He'll play great and beat the greats. It's THAT simple.

When AD puts together a post season worth remembering I think that the national media, fans, etc. will start to lean the other way. I don't see anything wrong with that, either.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: That, and I don't know what college games this cat watched, but Cook is a dynamic pass catcher as well.  I mean, didn't he at least watch the Bowl game, and the over the shoulder catch 50+ yards downfield?  I seriously wonder about the credentials of some of these guys.....isn't SI the same bunch that wrote an article about piano man? Mellow

Yeah I'm convinced most of these "experts" got their jobs because of nepotism or having friends in high places.  
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, Dalton doesn't get a fair shake. That includes Bengals fans. The guy has done nothing but improve and do a ton of good for the community, but **** him. That's the mentality. He's helped lead this team to success they have never seen before, but hey, we should start out backup. The guy has worked hard to improve his mechanics and arm strength. He's almost always near the top of the league in deep ball stats. Stats don't matter, he can't make the throws. Time to look for his replacement. The guy hasn't had a decent running game since he got here. Has improved each season. Was in the MVP discussion until an injury. Spent about half of last season without his top 3 receivers. Other people threw for 4000 yards though. Nothing special.

For everything good the guy does, it gets twisted and contorted to somehow knock him. I understand players use player speak when coming to a new team or getting drafted to a team, but a lot of players talk about being excited to work and play with Dalton. The guy is good. I still think he has the potential to become an elite QB.

As for having weapons, it seems only Bengals fans knock their own QB for having weapons. Is it coincidence that Tom Brady's best numbers came when he was throwing to Randy Moss? Peyton had weapons, Brees has weapons, Ben has weapons, Rodgers has weapons. It's not a secret that QBs perform better with better weapons. Why is it only a knock on Andy though?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:26 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Call me what you want... but I for some reason find Josh Malone the eventual A.J. Green replacement..

Green is turning 29 in 2 months and will be 31 or 32 when his contract ends.. Malone has the size and speed to be that #1 receiver if Bengals don't resign A.J. in the future.

Learning from AJ won't hurt him either. There's no doubt that the guys got skill, and a 4.4 is faster than AJ if I'm not mistaken. 
(05-03-2017, 05:29 PM)PDub80 Wrote: AD's line got him killed last year so it was impossible to build upon 2015's success.Which sucks because his 2015 showed he is capable of some great QB play.

Buuuuuut, big time players make big time plays in big time games. THAT is what separates the greats and the goods. It's why Joe Montana's in the Hall of Fame and Kenny Anderson isn't. If AD is a great QB... He'll play great and beat the greats. It's THAT simple.

When AD puts together a post season worth remembering I think that the national media, fans, etc. will start to lean the other way. I don't see anything wrong with that, either.

I remember the year he had in 2015 before the injury. I know, I know. He has to get at least a playoff win if not a ring. Still, the author of that piece insinuated that AD is sub-par. RThat's just not the case. Andy's a top 10 QB IMHO. 
(05-03-2017, 05:33 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Yeah I'm convinced most of these "experts" got their jobs because of nepotism or having friends in high places.  

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. In the past I think it was ESPN who assigned a writer to each division. The guy who wrote for them, I'm spacing his name, was pretty decent. And our local guys are pretty good. But then anything's better than MSNBC, CNN, and FoxNews when it comes to journalism. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
In a draft that was devoid of line depth, the only option was to go heavy on skill position guys to try to open things up on the offensive end. Dalton plays best with quick release and anticipation throws regardless, and over the years, that's what made the O-Line look so good anyways.

Last year, we didn't have the weapons to make the O click, and I think the line was overwhelmed having to guard for longer than a few seconds and being forced to wait for things to develop.

Now it's all about how these skill guys will play together. Who goes where? Can Zampese utilize the talent available to him?

I think it's safe to say our defense will be solid if unspectacular this year. But offense was where we lacked, and offense we addressed. Let's hope it works out somehow.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't know why, but it still feels like he's only 25 years old.

Receivers play at their prime well into their 30's (the good ones who stay healthy anyways).

We've got 5-6 good years with this core left, IMO. Of course, this may just be a case of continual replenishment if we keep drafting well, but in the NFL you can't expect that.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
They got to Andy a lot last season without blitzing and with 3 men on occasion. They are going to be bringing the heat. I hope Zamp knows this.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 07:06 PM)Shady Wrote: Learning from AJ won't hurt him either. There's no doubt that the guys got skill, and a 4.4 is faster than AJ if I'm not mistaken. 

I remember the year he had in 2015 before the injury. I know, I know. He has to get at least a playoff win if not a ring. Still, the author of that piece insinuated that AD is sub-par. RThat's just not the case. Andy's a top 10 QB IMHO. 

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. In the past I think it was ESPN who assigned a writer to each division. The guy who wrote for them, I'm spacing his name, was pretty decent. And our local guys are pretty good. But then anything's better than MSNBC, CNN, and FoxNews when it comes to journalism. 

Coley Harvey I think was his name.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Even teams with Brady, Brees, and Rodgers do that also.

You need to have playmakers around your QB. Bottom line.

Oh you are wrong, Pistons....only Dalton needs weapons to be successful.  He could NEVER throw for 4,000 yards and only 7 INTs in a 16 game season where he loses his #1 WR, #1, 2, and 3 TE, #1 RB, his offensive line sucks, and a clueless rookie of an offensive coordinator.

Wait...
Reply/Quote

Dead on.  It is such a tired narrative.  

Tom Brady reached in to the 90s on QB Rating (the old one) twice in his first six years  as a starter.  He never reached in to the 100s in that time.

Dalton has also reached the 90s on QB rating twice in his first six seasons with one of those seasons going in to the 100s.

Dalton also started his rookie season, where Brady got to watch and learn.

Please, don't hit me with the "you can't mention them in the same sentence" crap.  I am not saying Dalton is equal to Brady, but the fact that so many talking heads give him zero respect at this point in his career is annoying. 

And as for the "Dalton can't win without a great supporting cast", despite being his 12th year in the league, Brady had a season where he only completed 60.5% of his passes, 25 TDs, 11 INTs, and 4343 yards.  Why?  He didn't have all his weapons.  

Dalton showed what he is capable of in 2015 when his line is stable and he has decent talent around him.  This season should trump that one and he could be in the conversation for MVP.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 12:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: When you look at the numbers, and the tape, I don't see where he gets that?  I seldom miss an FSU game....I thought Peter King was supposed to be damn near infallible, so much for that.

I thought Andy Benoit wrote the article?

Either way, it does seem like lazy journalism.
Reply/Quote