Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good article on how Trumpy saved the '88 AFCCG
I have heard the story countless times about how the NFL was going to job the Bengals over the no huddle, but I don't recall ever reading about Bob Trumpy's role in all of it.  Interesting read about the 1988 AFCCG controversy:

https://www.bengals.com/news/the-day-the-bengals-made-history-and-the-future

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sam Wyche, the last innovative Bengals HC.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 05:18 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Sam Wyche, the last innovative Bengals HC.

Indeed......I'm hoping we are getting another guy in that vein. :andy:

In regards to Trumpy, that's pretty damn cool of him to risk his career like that.  

Reply/Quote
Speaking of Trumpy, I remember an interview he gave on channel 5 in the mid to late nineties stating that NO ONE in the Bengals front office knew what they were doing and had "no clue" on how to run a professional football team. Ah...good times! not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 02:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: I have heard the story countless times about how the NFL was going to job the Bengals over the no huddle, but I don't recall ever reading about Bob Trumpy's role in all of it.  Interesting read about the 1988 AFCCG controversy:

Thank you for posting. Brings back a lot of good memories.

I knew once we beat the Cards in the opener, that this was going to be a really good season. The defensive stand at the end of that game was the kick start.

And you know what built that Team? Multiple first round picks and good drafts, for 3-4 years prior to it.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 02:53 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I have heard the story countless times about how the NFL was going to job the Bengals over the no huddle, but I don't recall ever reading about Bob Trumpy's role in all of it.  Interesting read about the 1988 AFCCG controversy:

Good stuff, hope Taylor is more like good ole Wyche.

Bet he will be much more like him than Marv ever was.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 05:18 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Sam Wyche, the last innovative Bengals HC.

Dead on....hopefully Taylor puts an end to the streak of duds.  
Reply/Quote

(01-22-2019, 08:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dead on....hopefully Taylor puts an end to the streak of duds.  

Yep, we've been through 4 coaches and nearly 30 years of misery and not being able to get over the hump.

Hopefully the new guy turns this ship around
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 05:49 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Speaking of Trumpy, I remember an interview he gave on channel 5 in the mid to late nineties stating that NO ONE in the Bengals front office knew what they were doing and had "no clue" on how to run a professional football team. Ah...good times! not.

He wasn't wrong.....lol.

Reply/Quote

This is the most striking thing about the article to me--where Trumpy or whoever it was talked about Sam changing football and how everybody uses it today. 

Sam doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves for that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:11 PM)McC Wrote: This is the most striking thing about the article to me--where Trumpy or whoever it was talked about Sam changing football and how everybody uses it today. 

That, or for laying the groundwork for Tampa's Super Bowl.  He drafted Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:11 PM)McC Wrote: This is the most striking thing about the article to me--where Trumpy or whoever it was talked about Sam changing football and how everybody uses it today. 

So true.

(01-22-2019, 04:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That, or for laying the groundwork for Tampa's Super Bowl.  He drafted Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch.

Didn't know that, holy crap, blows my mind i didn't know that...
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That, or for laying the groundwork for Tampa's Super Bowl.  He drafted Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch.

Hey Wyche, you just eclipsed 100,000 rep points! Congrats brother!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hey Wyche, you just eclipsed 100,000 rep points! Congrats brother!!!

Has to be all those no-huddle posts.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 04:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know that, holy crap, blows my mind i didn't know that...

Yes sir, and the team was improving under him.  They were 7-9 his last season, which was a miracle in Tampa at the time.

Reply/Quote