2. Rumble Fish by S.E. Hinton
3. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Then there are the fantasy books

1. The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
2. The Lord of the Rings series including The Simariliion by J.R.R. Tolkien
3. The Classics like Treasure Island

There's one more book that's pretty decent and is kind of a biography

The Immortal Life of Hennrietta Lacks by Rebecka Skloot

What are some other books that I've forgotten about that you would add?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
We gave out a ton of book at the end of the summer school program I just did. Some popular ones were the Percy Jackson series, the chronicles of vladimir tod series, and any Walter Dean Myers books.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 06:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We gave out a ton of book at the end of the summer school program I just did. Some popular ones were the Percy Jackson series, the chronicles of vladimir tod series, and any Walter Dean Myers books.

Kids love adventure and they love stories about how other kids are more powerful, smarter and all that jazz over adults, lol.

I've only seen the Percy Jackson movies and liked them a lot. I've never heard of the others though and will have to look them up.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2015, 06:53 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Kids love adventure and they love stories about how other kids are more powerful, smarter and all that jazz over adults, lol.

I've only seen the Percy Jackson movies and liked them a lot. I've never heard of the others though and will have to look them up.

Gregor the Overland series is very good in that regard. It is written by Suzanne Collins, the same woman who wrote the Hunger Games series. 

It is probably more geared for the preteen kids as it is easier to read.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The original Sherlock Holmes stories.

I loved them when I was young, and right now Holmes is big in pop culture. There are 2 television series about him.
Reply/Quote
Harry Potter of course.  Loved reading those books and I've read them over many times.  JKR is a great story teller.

Mark Twain - Mr. Comedic Satire himself.  However, I wouldn't pre-teens reading these.  They need to appreciate and understand the context of the language and dialog used, and the time in which the books are based and written.
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote